Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
472 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 483
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 472
Total: 473

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

3X60" HDTV visual- part 2

Started by jackpilot, July 17, 2010, 08:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

I can attest that the TV's frames ,after a a short while, disappear from your mind. Amazing but true even if, as you can see on the pictures, the TVs were not yet perfectly positionned (a good two inches gap between the frames).
Another factor is the extreme sharpness of the views compared with a projector and screen.

For your enjoyment Guys...

Jack

XOrionFE

you answered my question from Part 1 thread Jack.  Looks really good.  Looks like Steve is enjoying it :-).

astron

Hey Scott, boy am i glad to see someone else doing this, and to have jack say that it looks good from within the actual cockpit, that makes me real happy, if you may remember i had built the visuals for the lear sim last year, using 3 52" viewsonic monitors and a  th2go,it works together very well, and the big thing for me was the crispness and clarity of the view, it delivers all of that, the big dispute has always been the wrap around view and the monitor bezels, however ,like ive always said after you fly this way for a little while, you dont even notice the bezels, and yes 5 screens would put it over the top, and there are ways to get that done also.

as far as can you feel the movement, absolutely,  i had the wife down here,and set her up in a cessna, after about five minutes she said she started getting vertigo, i said thats just what i wanted to hear,LOL.   heres some pics of  the visuals just using it for flying desktop until the sim gets done but it is still a blast just doing it this way.

talk to you later,Tom

Boeing Skunk Works

While it's very noticable in photos, the brain tends to fill in the blanks when it comes to monitor bezels. I thought it would bother me too, but I don't even notice it while busy during a flight.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

ETomlin

Quote from: jackpilot on July 17, 2010, 08:57:24 AM
I can attest that the TV's frames ,after a a short while, disappear from your mind. Amazing but true even if, as you can see on the pictures, the TVs were not yet perfectly positionned (a good two inches gap between the frames).
Another factor is the extreme sharpness of the views compared with a projector and screen.

For your enjoyment Guys...

I wish you guys would quit bringing this up. Seriously. You are making me want to go put three of these on my credit card RIGHT NOW and I just CANNOT justify that.

No, seriously- I really do like this setup. I say that I would rather have the projectors vs. this but I really do get dazed and confused each time I see photos like this. So many pros and cons, but obviously the biggest pro to me is the space savings. Three 60" provides over 13 feet of high detailed, space-saving visual delight. Yes, projectors are more immersive. However, considering my budget and building space limitations and the fact that Ron Rollo will have a wrap around visual using projectors for his LJ45, I just may have to be a black sheep and go this route to better meet my space and financial requirements.

Excellent work, both with the sim above and with Tom's setup.

PS- I think that another plus for the LJ builders is that unlike the 737, we dont have the side window posts. Therefore, there are 2 less distracting items for the LJ builder to contend with (the bezels + the aircraft's windscreen posts). I think for the LJ45, it truly is a viable system.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Bob Reed

I did 3 60" HDTVs for a guys sim and I can attest that the frames do dis a peer after a very few minutes...

Boeing Skunk Works

Don't forget Eric that for the most part, the room has to be somewhat dark to keep the projected image from washing out. No problems with monitors.

rhysb

Also once the tv screens are in place if you get some white tape and put this on the bezels between screens this also helps visually remove them from the brain
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

XOrionFE

Just to confuse you more Eric you need to fly up here to Chicago and take a ride with my visuals with the projectors.   I think from an immersion standpoint there is just no comparison.    LCD screens just cannot compete on that level.     Ask Don Harrison.    I also met another builder that lives close by, CP, and he was over last weekend to check it out while Don and I were working on stuff.    All we could hear from the cockpit was a bunch of ooos and aaaahs as he flew around by KSEA with the projected visual surround.    I had Orbix Pacific Northwest scenery running also....  I dont think CP wanted to leave :-)

Thats said, if I didnt have the space the 5x60" LCDs would be my next choice

Scott

ETomlin

Oh trust me, like I said I KNOW that the system you have running Scott is basically the best way to go for full immersion [and dont forget to install black curtains behind your screens and to the sides to fully get rid of ambient light and stray visual cues]. Im just saying that if space is not allowing it, this 60" deal is the best 2nd way to go.

Also, the hanging curtain is great for dampening all the echos you hear when watching a home sim online- the snap of a toggle sounding all echo-ie because of concrete sim hangar floors, bare walls, etc. kills me. The cockpit, due to all the insulation and noises and close proximity of stuff, is not where a snapping toggle switch or ATC instructions should produce any kind of echo. However I hear this all the time on Youtube where folks havent dampened thier room to prevent this unrealistic echo. Just a side thought there. :-)
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

astron

Yes theres pros and cons to both setups,
the pros for the monitor setup atleast for me, is the clarity and crispness of the scenery,i just dont think you can get that with the projectors,unless you have some really highend stuff,the other thing is ease of setup and and moving them slide them together plug in to triple head and your done, i can also leave the light on behind me so if i need to get out in a hurry i dont trip over the cat or something else,and no effect from light to the monitors, now the cons would be the bezels,but like i said they dont bother me.

the pros for the projectors are no bezels, you can make a full wrap around screen and see it top to bottom,  so i guess it all comes down to what you are really looking for in your visuals.

The cats meow would be comepletly bezeless monitors wrap about 10 of those around you from top to bottom and youd be in sim heaven, but youd have to put a 2nd mortgage on your house, LOL

take care for now guys  Tom

Boeing Skunk Works

astron

Yes,i have seen these before, this would be the ultimate setup for a small desktop sim,i think there pretty spendy to if i remeber right,  now if they would make one about 13ft wide and 5ft tall that would be the stuff, might be a little hard to ship though.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate