Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 01:53:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
534 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 546
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 534
Total: 534

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Sim-Avionics Initial Experience - VIDEOS!

Started by XOrionFE, July 11, 2010, 04:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

At Jack's suggestion and for those who have thought about trying Sim-Avionics but have not yet taken the plunge and for those that may be using something else but would like to see more of Sim-A along with the ease of setup I put together a few videos (about 30 minutes worth) of my setup and testing so far.    I want to point out a couple things.  First, my goal was to have as few computers running my sim as possible and I am happy to say that Sim-A has made this completely possible and practical.    I am using one computer for FSX and one for Sim-Avionics (specs below).    Also, keep in mind I have not done much in the way of interfacing yet and this is just the basic initial setup and testing I am covering in these videos.  Second, I am in no way following any flying procedures when taking off in the 737 as I just wanted to get it in the air to show the guages working while flying.   In fact, I crashed at one point trying to take off with the joystick in one hand while filming with the other so try not to laugh too hard.    Finally, Mark (of Sim-A) or anyone else currently using it is free to comment on these and provide any corrections or further insight.  This could be a nice thread if others would give input....

I hope you enjoy,
Scott

MFSX Computer:
i7 960, Asus P6T Deluxe mobo, 6 gig DDR3 ram, Nvidea GTX 275 Video card, TH2GO, 1 7200 rpm 500 gig drive for Windows 7 64 bit OS, 1 300 gig WD 10K rpm Velociraptor drive for FSX program files, 1 300 gig WD 10K rpm Velociraptor drive for Scenery addons including UTX, GEX, FEX, REX, and Megascenery.   All setup per Nick Needhams Windows 7 and FSX tweaks.

Sim-Avionics Computer:
i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe mobo, 6 gig DDR3 ram, 3 Nvidia 9800 GT video cards, 1 7200 500 gig drive (overkill) running Windows 7 64 bit.  Also setup with Nick Needhams Windows 7 tweaks.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdvEvhKGjM
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fHXHC0yu1A

Part 3  (note that as of 8 am cst July 11th this video is still being processed so quality may improve later)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01vGmi7WIWU

dharrison

Steve,

Very much bad ass, I gotta get over there!!!!

How about next weekend?

Don

dharrison

Scott,

It is time I publically apologize for being an idiot....... Sorry about that. lack of sleep and jet lag are killing me...

Ill send you pm.

Don

XOrionFE

Hehe
No problem Don....everyone tends to call me Steve :)

matta757

Scott,

AWESOME videos. I am really impressed with the Simvionics software... now if they would just add the 757...

Matt

Kennair

Another fine production from you Scott, thanks for doing it.  I've been loving the Sim-A testing also but with a few more hardware interface issues than you've faced.  All to do with the Opencockpits hardware which has no automatic configuration, however I've nutted it out and it works a treat.  I had a little extra issues due to the fact that I'm adapting a 737 MCP for 777 usage but thankfully thats pretty much sorted also.  I love how smooth FSX runs too on your belly-buster i7 PC's.  You've got me seriously flexing my credit card for a major upgrade now!

Just a question though.  You're running Sim-A off 1 PC via 3 video cards so I assume you'll be running 1 x CPT, 1 x FO, 1 x EICAS, 1 x Lower EICAS (MFD) & 2 x CDU's, but then where are you going to run the Server?

Cheers,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

XOrionFE

Thanks guys

Ken,

For now I have only purchased 1 CDU from FDS and so I can fit the lower display but havent decided if I will even run the lower display yet.    One thought I had was that if I get a 2nd CDU I would move the lower display and a CDU onto a 3rd smaller dedicated computer (which I have already although much less powerful).   

It would be good to post your OC experience here also as you add everything.     I am going to use OC radios but mine are the premade USB plugn play ones so I dont think there will be much to worry about with these.  I also have the OC CDU (which is for sale) but was thinking of hooking it up for the heck of it and grabbing some SIOC code to test it.

Scott

Kennair

Thanks Scott, that makes sense.  Not sure if I could justify (or really use) a second CDU and a dummy one could come in handy for other suedo keyboard usage.  I think I'll be running my rig with 3 PC's all up, having one running CDU/MFD and REX etc.  I'm also rigging my laptop with the Aivlosoft EFB replacing paper charts and diagrams, a nifty piece of software.

Good idea on posting of the OC configs too, many tear their hair out for years trying to get their heads around it, tell me how I know  :o  I sometimes wish I had have gone with the plug n play radio heads but they weren't released when I was purchasing, you should see the spaghetti underneath my lot. lol.

Cheers,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Bob Reed

Scott. First off great videos. Second is a question. On your take off in video 3 I did not see V1 or Rotate indications on the speed tape. Is that just becasue you didn;t set it up in the CDU?

XOrionFE

Very good observation Bob.  Yes, you are correct.   I didn't program the cdu at all.  I just put the sticks to the firewall and took off :-)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate