Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 05:01:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
24 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 51
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Matrox TripleHead2Go and LCD TV Choice

Started by RonW, September 17, 2010, 12:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonW

Has anyone seen any specs or info about choosing the right LCD TVs to use with the Matrox? I'm considering building a mostly VFR cockpit (Prop) using the Matrox with 3 - 42"++ LCD TV's.
The computer is an i7 960 system, Win7 64bit and a GeGorce GTX 480 and I want to use both FS9 and X.
The Matrox site has no specific info that I could see. I think there could be issues about resolution compatability, refresh rates and maybe inputs, although I think the input is limited to VGA if using a TV.
Ron

ivar hestnes

Take a look at the link below. It pretty much describes everything you need to know about Matrox resolutions.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/TH2Go_FAQ#What_Resolutions_are_Supported.3F

:)

RonW

Hi Ivar - thanks for the info - I have been to this site but the problem seems to be at the TV end of things. No TV salesman I've ever met knows anything about how their particular model will display computer graphics, nor does the TV mfg have any technical info on that subject.

The resolutions that Matrox will display at various aspect ratios does not match anything that the TV is capable of so there is usually a compromise - if it works at all. Yet - it seems lots of people have this kind of setup so it's definitely possible.

I guess I'm hoping someone with a setup like this will pop up with the answers before I lay down a lot of $$ for the wrong thing - if you know what I mean.
Ron

ivar hestnes

ahhh, tricky. But I believe that the TVs out there today are pretty intelligent. They adapt to the image that you throw into them. Most modern TV with fancy connetions like HDMI should be able to do what you want. But I know what you mean, dont want to spend a fortune for testing, and then lose.

Do you have a laptop with widescreen? And a VGA out? Go to the TV-shop and connect to a demo TV. Just to see how it looks. Not sure it it helps though....
The TV-salesmen dont know anything about TVs. They are just told how to sell the product that THEY want you to have. (The product they make most profit on....).

Benja

Ron,

If you plan on using VGA, steer clear of Sony. I have a 40" Sony LCD TV (Bravia) and it will only give 1280x1024 when using the VGA connector. I had to buy a PC with HDMI out in order to get a widescreen resolution.

In comparison, my fiancee's cheap LCD will do any resolution the PC supports via VGA.

Regards
Ben
Upsetting my fiancee one purchase at a time

RonW

Hi Ben - I discoverd that too with a 32" Sony LCD - same problem. I also read that LG's are very poor with VGA input but maybe that depends on the model. I'm going to check the tv's at TigerDirect here in town as they have a huge variety which include some generic name brands at great prices which sometimes do very well with pc connections
Ron

XOrionFE

I have a 32" Vizio LCD TV and hook up a vga to it and I am not crazy about the picture.

Bob Reed

Quote from: RonW on September 18, 2010, 07:32:49 AM
Hi Ben - I discoverd that too with a 32" Sony LCD - same problem. I also read that LG's are very poor with VGA input but maybe that depends on the model. I'm going to check the tv's at TigerDirect here in town as they have a huge variety which include some generic name brands at great prices which sometimes do very well with pc connections

Please report on your findings. Very interested to hear about this.

RonW

Interesting development. Here is a quote from my favourite pc parts supplier and he specializes in high perfomance gaming pc's:

".  I DO NOT recommend to use Matrox with TVs.  Big problems and the lcds that worked before are now discontinued.  Remember the real 42" dual monitors I had in the shop 2 years ago.  Well they are gone now, no DVI TVs are made anymore. :(
I recommend using ATI EYEFINITY for the TVs.  ATI sent me new generation dongle and I'm about to test it.  Give me 2 days for the testing of this new active dongle for 3 TVs.  I'll tell you how it worked out.  You should stick with 42" LCDs as pixels are still small on these.  47" and bigger and u really see the pixels.   So stay around 40" to 42" size.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/ati-eyefinity-technology/Pages/eyefinity.aspx

This will be interesting since ATI cards have never been a favourite for flight simmers - even the newest most expensive are pretty slow compared to NVIDIA's. I'll post the results once I have them anyway. If possible, I'll take over a FS pc currently running a fast NVIDIA and record the difference.

Ron

Bob Reed

Ya know Ron.. I never gave a thought about the new TVs not having DVI outs. But you are right that connection is a thing of the past. I will be interested in your findings with the ATI rig.

P3R

I just bought 3x LG 450 Fullhd LCD screens and i am very happy with those.

Full HD Resolution and very crisp and clear picture. No blurring.

I tested LG 320 HD Ready 720 and found it a bit blurry and lowres, so i went for fullhd.

ETomlin

So, can you post up some photos or even better, video, with this system running FS? That'd be a great thing to see running. Im really considering this method just because of the simplicity and lower costs associated with it. Im currently running a single forward view on an older projector and love the size, but there's something that interest me about these high res screens, less speed, no need for total darkness, and no need to replace a bulb, etc ...on and on.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

P3R

Yes i will when i get it all mounted on my wall next week. "waiting for some wall brackets"
The reason i went for 3x 32 is i currently have very little space and wanted a solution that give me the wide view and the sense of speed.
I am currently assembling my 737 Mip/Glare/Cdu from FDS and opted for 32 inch Lcd since it is very close to the actual size of the 737 window.
The good thing about these LG 450's is the support of 1:1 Pixel mapping 3ms and 1920x1080 with DVI/VGA adaptors on my th2go.
Info about Pixelmapping: http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Pixel+mapping+explained
I am also getting my second Nvidia Video card next week for testing the NV 2D Surround feature in Win7 over SLI.
I want to find witch of these setups "th2go or Nv surround" will give me the best fps and gpu power.

Yes, its a cheap and easy solution for getting that wide view on a limited space specially now that fullhd big screens is affordable.

ETomlin

Sounds good and Im  looking forward to it. As an aside, I was at a store today and they had a 52", 55", and 50" all up on the wall next to each other and with those three side by side, it gave me a better idea of what a 50" size x3 would be like. Very impressive, regardless of the monitor frames/bezels. That is 12 Feet of screen area wrapping around your cockpit with incredible resolution, high contrasts, and no need for replacing a bulb or calculating precious angles and of course, much less space. There's pros and cons....and likeing the large unit idea more and more now due to space and other considerations. Looking forward to your photos and hopefully video if you are able one day.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

jackpilot

Eric
Do you remember that post in July..
Scroll up to the top.

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=881.msg6863#msg6863
Jack

Jack

ETomlin

HI Jack

Yeah, I remember (and those are great examples) but I would like to see some more. It's always a matter of "more" with this hobby, isnt it? Never satisfied, always wanting more and more and more and more....
Video of Tom's system or the one Steve Cos is in front of- that'd be excellent. Too bad I dont have the $$$ right now- prices on these 50" systems are excellent right now just before Christmas. I could buy my entire visual system and have it running in 3 hours flat for $2500.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate