Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:37:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
120 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

John's List of 3D Printed Items for Flight Simulation

Started by blueskydriver, September 12, 2018, 12:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Currently, I am printing the Glareshield (MIP) Checklist Holder that Joe Lavery designed and once it's done I'll post the amended file if Joe doesn't mind or maybe he'll post it if he makes corrections for me.

In the past, I printed the Window Handles and Locking Plate objects that I got from Thingiverse. They turned out very nice and smooth; although, they seem smaller then what I've seen printed by others.

Beyond that I have printed some non-flight simulator items, like the sitting Baby Groot and the sample items that come with the CR-10S. So far, all my prints have turned out very nice; well, all but one and that was due to the item coming unglued or unattached from the plate. Thus, I must say that 3D printing is not difficult once you understand the basics and always remember to level your bed, add glue from Elmer's Glue Stick (if using tape and/or glue) and pre-heat the filament before every print...

Finally, I mentioned Thingiverse which is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/ and you really should check the site out even if you don't have a 3D printer. You'll find many objects that are free to download and print (non-commercial-cannot sell your prints). If you have questions about items to print send me a PM and I will help the best way I can...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Not sure, but this is not showing up as a new recent post...?
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Here are two pics of the 3D printed Checklist Holder...

John

blueskydriver

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to get the discussion of my 3D prints here in the 3D Printing section. I am doing the Checklist Holder for Peter. Here is what I posted in the other thread:

For others who would like one printed, I cannot sell it for a profit since Joe designed this. However, if you pay for a spool of filament to cover my time printing it and the machine time of 10.5 hrs (includes wear and tear, plus electricity), I would make you one.

Also, if Joe decides to print them for others at a profit, I would not object, nor print his design.

And, you guys know Karen and me, we are a very honest couple...always  ;D

If you're interested, please PM me.

John

blueskydriver

Just wanted to add these pics here as well...

John

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Almost forgot, I will print the B737 Window Handles and Bracket pieces for others who want them if you supply the spool of grey filament. Although, these would take a bit longer to do, as well as the first set I did seem a tad small or maybe it's just me, either way I'm going to print a second set. So, once that's done I'll start printing them for others.

Additionally, I have my second printer almost together, so that will speed things up. If you want a set please PM me...the average costs for filament from Gear Best is $25-$30 range and I only buy one brand.

Therefore, either you buy the spool from them and have it shipped to me or send me the amount through PayPal, then I order it myself.

Please remember this is 3D printing and things will not look like the real metal ones in smoothness; however, I will do my best with it. Any sanding or painting is for you to do, but I don't think it needs it.

Best Regards,

John

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

My next 3D printer trials will be the Map Holder and Cup Holder that goes on the sides of the B737 interior panels, if they turn out well, I will print them for others as a left set and right set for the same exchange of 1 CC Tree filament spool per set. Roughly about $25-30 per set and that is just for the materials, no profits.

In case anyone wants to know why I am doing it this way, it's so I can gain experience with printing for now. I can already do 3D models, but I rather do this in reverse without worrying about designing things yet.

If you're interested PM me...

John

PS I am ordering my 3rd Creality CR-10S 3D Printer and this time it'll be the CR-10S5 model that is 500x500x500 mm. Whereas, my current models are the CR-10S 300x300x400 mm. So, bigger printable items abound in the future... HOORAY!  :idiot:

Atomic_Sheep

blueskydriver

Hi Dimitry,

I am glad you like it, but this is Joe's design and he gets all the credit...I just printed it. So, if you would, send Joe a thank you  :D

John

Joe Lavery

Hi John,

Thanks for the name check, it wasn't exactly a masterpiece was it... ;)

But I also read your opening post and realised that you use the same method of making sure your 3D prints stick to the build plate as I used to.

I saw an advert on YouTube for a product called Printbite+, and I figured it was the same as all these other surfaces you see people talking about. Well I decided to order a sheet as it's not that expensive and WOW it's remarkable.
Once you get the distance right it's goodby to glue stick and goodby to failed prints as well. Since I bought it I haven't had a print fail, sorry that's a lie, I was trying to print the barrel of a replica gun on it's end, and just before it finished it came unstuck. Don't ask why I was printing that, we're not allowed to own guns like you guys, so I thought I'd see how it turned out. There are dozens on Thingiverse as you probably know.
Anyway back to Printbite+, it's a strange product and needs the bed heated right though the print, but once it's finished and cooled down you can simply lift it off.

I have nothing to do with the company, I am just a customer but believe me it will change how you print. Now I simply start the print and walk away, I always use a 5 line brim and that makes sure the filament is extruding okay before the print actually starts.

However I thought I would tell you of my experience, it may be of interest.

This is where I bought mine, but it may be available in the US as well, but make sure it's Printbite+, there was an earlier product called just Printbite which I'm told is not quite as good.

https://flex3drive.com/product/printbite/?fueid=1421&qid=3049

And this is the video I saw before I bought it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMNHxnsX8yw

All the best
Joe.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

blueskydriver

Hey Joe,

You're welcome. You do deserve all the credit for sure, and it's great work, as the other guys have posted about getting it.

I looked into the Printbite+ and it looks really good. Must be very popular as they have a 5-7 day delay on just ordering it. Still, I will place an order and have them cut it to fit the 300x300x400 bed. Once I get it setup I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks again,

John

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Looks like I'll be printing the fire handles for Joe and I'll be ordering filament for his project...

If you have been thinking of getting something 3D printed now or in the future, and if you want me to do it, I can look at ordering the filament color, and then get it at the same time I order for Joe; it would save him and you shipping costs.

Presently, I'm only doing small items, nothing to complex. I am not charging fees. All I get is what's left on the filament spool in exchange for my setup and machine time. Average filament spool costs $25-$50 depending on type and color.

Lastly, PM me for any questions regarding printing. If you want something designed or modeled please PM Joe L. and ask him...he is a super nice guy!

Kind Regards,

John

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate