Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
65 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

XOrionFE NG Build - 3rd time's a charm!

Started by XOrionFE, March 19, 2022, 01:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Ok, so time to start a new chapter.   As you saw in my old thread about my OEM -300 build, I have dismantled it (the MIP mainly) and put all the parts into storage. While I had a lot of fun with it and learned a ton from Rob Archer, Jorg Bleisener, and others such as David A, Matt W, James P, Matt F, etc.....it was time for me to simplify my life and get back to a somewhat more manageable simulator that I can handle most things on my own and not have to do tons of schematic reading and programming.  If I want to fly and enjoy the -300 I can just head 2 hours drive east to Rob's house and enjoy his sim.  Most of my parts are identical to his and so I will be keeping most things as spares for Rob.

So I decided to do a new 737 MAX or NG.  In the end I decided on the NG because not only is it nearer and dearer to my heart personally...I also have most items for it along with all the manuals, etc. Procuring a new NG MIP was difficult.  I love FDS and of course that is the first place I turned but alas..., was not to be right now as they are so busy with commercial projects they did not have room this year to sneak in another NG project for a "one off" enthusiast.  Heck, I don't blame them for following their priorities...it is a business and if in Peter's shoes I would be following the same path.  I know they are always here for us and I am really happy to see their success on a grand scale.

That brings us to John (aka blueskydriver).  John and I live fairly close to each other...about 3 hours drive between his house in Wisconsin and mine in Illinois.  I have known John for years and as he stated, he had thought about dialing it back many times and also enjoys a ton of other hobbies as well as wanting to pursue some new ones. So after having quite a few long discussions we decided to have me essentially buy him out.  Thats right, I bought everything he had related to the 737 including software.   We are slowly bringing bits and pieces from Wisconsin down to Illinois and you will see many of John's sim being integrated into mine.   So what follows may be just another boring 737 NG build but I will be integrating some OEM stuff and will try to make the build thread interesting as I go along with the changes.  So here goes....

Scott (aka XOrionFE)

XOrionFE

So first off I want to show some pictures of Johns FDS NG MIP that is going into my sim replacing my -300 OEM mip.  Now I was surprised when I first got it as it was nothing like my prior two FDS NG Mips.   As you can see from the pictures it is a lot different not having sidewalls and the back framing and glareshield seem to be much much more robust than my last FDS mips.  I am not sure if this was just an early design and they found better faster ways to build or what but I am really happy with the sheer strength of this.  Not saying current model is not strong but I believe this one is beefier due to not having sides.   John told me this was actually built custom by FDS to fit in his real Cockpit shell back in the day.   No matter, I love it.  Even the Glareshield has extra layers in the front making it twice as thick and providing a light barrier for the led strips that go under the lip.  Also, if you take a look at the CDU Bay, it is correct width at the top but narrower below to accomodate John's custom rudder setup from a real 727 trainer he had built his base around (more to come on that later...)  Take a peak at the pictures below.  Who knows...maybe Steve at FDS could chime in and provide the back story to this seemingly unique FDS MIP.

Scott

XOrionFE

Now here is something interesting.  As I said, I intend to incorporate some of my OEM stuff into this build and starting with this MIP I am making some modifications to John's FDS Original. 

First change is that I removed the plastic FDS checklist holder that goes on top of the glareshield and am replacing it with the resins one that was on my -500 glareshield.  You may not have seen before but there is an extra plate underneath the holder that has nice curved channels on sides so thin paper doesn't get stuck and it also has a built in spring like holder that pushes upward on the checklist to hold it in the holder.  Probably didn't want checklist flying out during takeoff!!  So you can see that I removed it from my old mip and have epoxied the lower piece onto the glare and then will affix the top part with the OEM screws and anchor nuts. Last picture is finished mod.  I just have to retouch the anchor nuts on top with a little flat black enamel. Will be a nice little nostalgic improvement.

fsaviator

Great to see you back into the NG, Scott.  Look forward to watching it come together.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

XOrionFE

MIP AFDS Upgrade - OEM

So I did not care for the replica AFDS displays that were on the mip.  First, they were an older version and second, one of the FMC reset buttons on one side was shot.   I decided to remove them and modify to accommodate my real OEM AFDS units.  I still have 28 vdc available and will likely utilize a Phidget 0/16/16 board to handle the annunciators.

I think they came out great!

Scott

PS - Notice the "INOP" position on the Display Unit controller where it should say "MFD".   This had to have originally been a special order of a customer from FDS.  Not sure otherwise why they would be this way.   I can live with it but if anyone has a set of panels from FDS (or OEM) let me know.  I would be interested in them.

jackpilot

Seems to me it says Engine Sys
Have to check.

Jack

XOrionFE

As I continue modifications to the FDS MIP I decided to replace all the AN1 annunciators with my real OEM Korry's.  Here you can see work on the Autobrake (Center MIP panel).  I am not only replacing the AN1s with real Korrys but also the Fuel Flow Reset switch now has OEM version installed.

Scott

blueskydriver

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

Jack

XOrionFE

Yes Jack.  28 vdc incandescent oem bulbs

jackpilot

I'm using these (LEDs) with the syscards

Jack

XOrionFE

Very nice Jack

Expensive?  Where did you get them?

XOrionFE

So I have been slowly working on rewire/refinements to the MIP. 

In these pictures you can see some of the real oem korrys being added along with rewiring of the rotary switches.   In addition, I have removed the monitors one by one and installed smoked plexi glass panels behind the clear ones (this is an NG project MUST according to Mr. Rob Archer).  He actually said he would refuse to fly in my sim if I did not add the smoked plexi....lol.   I have to admit, it really makes a big difference in the aesthetics and I had done this on my previous NG build.   Next I will be replacing all the screws on the lower panels with Dzus Fastener replicas from CPFlight.  That will add some authenticity as well.   Then back to the glareshield to work on the glare wings and putting in the OEM 6-packs, Master Caution, and Warning indicator/buttons.

Lots to do but coming along well.

Scott

XOrionFE

Been a while since I posted updates and that is because with good spring and summer weather in the Chicago area I had some major house projects to get done before getting back to work on my NG.  I had the exterior of the house completely redone in new vinyl siding and new aluminimum soffets and low maintenance manufactured trim board.  Also had my garage floor professionally epoxied and driveway re-sealed.  New garage freezer for my food storage needs...etc etc.  And some personal maintenance including some minor surgery on my left index finger for a cyst on the joint which took my hand out of commission for 3 weeks and also the lovely after 50 colonoscopy that any of you over 50 know is just a total joy....

Now to the NG
I retrofitted the old FDS MIP I got from John with a CP Flight Pro ethernet based MCP and EFIS units using the CP Flight bracket and some modifications.  Came out great I think.  I also added Dzus rails to the CDU bays (as John's mip did not have these pre-installed).  It was a lot of work and fun lining them up correctly.  Next I installed a new pair of CP Flight Ethernet Pro CDUs.  I prefer the metal FDS ones but an advantage to these are that they have onboard raspberry Pi boards and thus do not require a separate vga or hdmi input (and the FDS ones as well as MCP/Efis where simply not available or I would have bought them).  That said, I also love CP Flight gear and their support.  The CDUs
are self contained and work flawlessly.  Finally, I have been modifying and retrofitting the FDS glare wings to accommodate real OEM 6-packs and Master Caution/Fire Warning korries.  I had to make custom steel faceplates and also decide to do some fiberglass/epoxy reinforcment to the thin parts as they are made of a very weak press board material that is just not very robust.  Not sure if their newer mips have a better quality molded part but if I had a 3d printer I would probably make new ones entirely.  So attaching various pictures below of progress and will post more updates in the future including showing off the awesome new custom clock bezels Joe Lavery was so kind to make for me. I am really excited about them and they will be next on my list to install along with new gauges for the mip from Custom Sim Parts (yaw damper, flaps, brakes pressure)
So stay tuned...

FredK

Scott

Glad to see that your NG project is progressing nicely!

I agree that CP Flight makes some high quality stuff and support is very good.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

XOrionFE

So I finally finished modifying my glare wings to fit the OEM 6-packs and Master Caution/Fire Warning switches.  A lot of work but worth the effort.  In addition, I have begun installing the awesome custom clock bezels that Joe Lavery made for me.   They will have small LCD screens behind them and run the digital clocks out of prosim.  Joe built them with a small custom circuit board to allow for four programmabke switches.  Awesome...Thank you Joe!

more to come...its building season...

Scott

FredK

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jackpilot

Jack

Joe Lavery

Thank you for the kind words Scott, it's just a little payback for the help you've given me.

Looking good too.. ;)

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

XOrionFE

Getting closer to finally lighting up the mip.   I just finished putting some bracing on the back of the gear handle assembly to tie it into the mip frame.   I did not like how shaky it was when actuating it being the only thing holding it in place was the flimsy aluminum front mip panel.   The real oem gear handles are tied directly onto the mip frame structure.  I am really pleased with the result.

Scott

MLeavy737

Scott that looks Awesome!!! Have to stop by again sometime soon!
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

jackpilot

Hi Mike
Good to see  you back onboard !
More news?  ;)

Jack

XOrionFE

Mip wiring coming along.  A half dozen FDS connectors to punch down and attach to sys boards, 3 servos to connect to Phidgets servo board, ND/PFD dimmer knobs are wired and just need attaching to bodnar joystick card, and finally...I need to hookup the real korries and AFDS units to the Phidgets 0/16/16 boards. All power, usb and lighting is done.

sagrada737

Hi Scott,

I have always been impressed with your wiring skills.  Nice job on the MIP thus far!

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

jackpilot

Neat ! reminds me of my own spaghetti bowl which was far worse. Hope U are excited, nothing like  redoing the new iteration better than the previous one.  :D

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate