Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 01:07:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
722 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 711
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 722
Total: 722

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Its time for my FWD and AFT overheads... Need opinions.

Started by Nick1150, March 23, 2012, 10:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick1150

Hi to all,

I am in the market for both FWD and AFT overheads. I use PM for my software, and I have an FDS shell. I am looking for the simplest possible solution, since soldering is not my strong point.

I find FDS interface it cards very interesting solution, seems to be simple enough, or at least thats what I think.

Ayway, I am open to any advices, just take in mind that I am situated in Europe.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

XOrionFE

I wholeheartedly recommend FDS.  iBL is awesome and really a must IMHO.   They have designed a very easy to build and integrate solution.  If you don't want to do any soldering then I would also highly recommend you just pay the extra for them to prewire and assemble all panels for you.  SYS cards perfectly compliment and make the whole setup a complete solution without any headaches.

Yes I have FDS so of course I am biased but hen again, there is a reason I chose to invest my money in their hardware and I never once have regretted my choice. Btw- their support is awesome as well.

Scott

jackpilot

I second Scott all the way!
I was wise to order the all wired and ready to go FDS version and a happy camper since.
Worth every penny.
Consider this:
Backlighting all solved thanks to IBL panels
Once wired it weighs a ton (almost!) but installing it in the FDS shell is a 5min job! All brackets are in place and line up.
As Scott, I'm biased...for good reasons.
Scroll down that page:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3995&start=30

Jack

Jack

blueskydriver

Hey Nick,

Well, Simlady and I have the FDS FWD Overhead and will get the Aft down the road (her F16 is in my way now...lol). Anyway, we wired the unit ourselves as far as the wires going from the Annunicators to the SyS Cards, and I can say it did take a little time, BUT that is what I wanted. Peter (PC) did offer it to be all wired up for me; however, I chose the longer way.

The biggest thing about wiring yourself is you know every wire and where it goes. Plus, when a switch doesn't do what it's supposed to do or an Annunicator does not light up like it's supposed too...you will know whats wrong...uh, most times (I say that because age does count on remembering things...that's why I write it all down...lol).

Although, even if you get the FDS Overhead (FWD and AFT) all wired up, you will still know the ends and outs of them fairly easy. Why? Because FDS makes these units to be simple to work on and understand for themselves! They do custom installs all over the world, so difficult work for them, that takes to long, is money lost if you're on contracts.

Finally, even though you are across the pond, it will be well worth ordering from FDS because there are many owners worlwide. So, help is not too far away at anytime of the day from other users...let alone that Peter and Steve Cos don't ever sleep and you can email, Skype, telephone or private message them on their website at anytime.

I sometimes wonder if them two and their families are Vampires? Since I am one myself, I really think they are!

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Nick1150

Thanks guys for the info,

I will drop few lines to Peter.

Just a question... When you say wired, what do you mean ? I see a charge of CAD 500 in FDS site for wiring. If you mean this, can you please explain how this is done, meaning that all switches are pre wired and mounted on the overhead panels ? Any pics would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Nick

jackpilot

Yes everything is there, ready to run, you get your OVH in a big box, unpack it, and hang it in the shell. Feed 5V for the IBLs, 12V to the SysCard, One USB plug to a PC and you are in business (depending on the soft you use.)
My 3¢ :Wiring a MIP is nothing compared with this:

Jack

Nick1150

Thanks Jack !!

Great pc by the way ;)

I will contact Peter, maybe send hime this link too.

Thanks

Nick
Nick

NAX228

-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Nick1150

Quote from: NAX228 on March 28, 2012, 03:23:11 AM
Www.Simworld.pl have a new product...
Hi Nax,

What about price & quality ?

Any experience on them ?
Nick

jackpilot

I would search other  forums.
::)
JP

Jack

Nick1150

Except FDS which are the other quality alternatives in your opinion ?
Nick

NAX228

Beside integrated backlight, the feel and look of simworld products is right up there among the best.
Im lookin so forward to get my hands on this overhead. Prosim added full plug n play support for it in this weeks update, and with RSPs replica switches, dual needle gauges and some soft baclight its gonna look and feel like a bauty.
Lets hope sim-a, pm and the others will add support, but in my case its ready to be connected and work :D
-------------------

Nick1150

Quote from: NAX228 on March 30, 2012, 10:26:33 AM
Beside integrated backlight, the feel and look of simworld products is right up there among the best.
Im lookin so forward to get my hands on this overhead. Prosim added full plug n play support for it in this weeks update, and with RSPs replica switches, dual needle gauges and some soft baclight its gonna look and feel like a bauty.
Lets hope sim-a, pm and the others will add support, but in my case its ready to be connected and work :D
Any pics would be nice ;)
Nick

NAX228

Check the link www.simworld.pl
I had replica switches sent from rsp today to be mounted on this prototype before more promovideos are made.
They had short time from having it ready before they sent it to Prosim so Marty could make the interface 100% plug n play.
Watch out fore news and videos in about a week
-------------------

blueskydriver

Checking out Simworld's site and the items do look good, but no mention of the IO's used to interface it. Which cards would be used?

The prices look reasonable, but I didn't compare to FDS, nor account for VAT vs non-VAT, and that would make a huge difference. Additionally, you have to look at shipping and import/export duties/taxes as well. So, if these prices are comparable, then it would be tough to decide.

Although, having FDS Overhead in front of me and not having the Simworld items makes it hard to not choose FDS at this point. Then, there is the customer service/tech support and that is the biggest factor in all of it. As for FDS, I can personally attest that they're best in the business in this area. Having Peter or Steve on the phone is great, let alone how they really spend time getting to know you. You find out that they're just like you and I; a couple of guys who have fun in life and enjoy flight simulation just as much. They like it so much, they shared it with the rest of us and made a professional business in the process.

My biggest thing to say to anyone is just ask to visit someone who already has what you'd like to purchase (if possible). That way you get your hands on evaluation. Speaking of this, maybe FDS should have a list of user demo locations around the world. Or, we have a list here on CB as to who would be willing to do so and they list what they have, and then it could be a sticky. I think just about every member would be on the list...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Another resounding endorsement from me about FDS products & support. Very wise though to order a pre-wired version rather than a kit no matter what vendor you choose. As Jack said, wiring a MIP is infinitely simpler than wiring an overhead.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

XOrionFE

Ditto on Maurice's comment.  Took me a couple weekends and long hours to wire.  In hindsight it would have been more than a bargain to pay extra to have it done.  That said, FDS panels have IBL and their kits for annunciators and switches combined with the ease of wiring to SYS boards with interfacit make it a fairly simple process. 

I would not even think about buying a manufacturers panels if they didn't have built in backlighting because it would be a nightmare to light them and I doubt they would ever look authentic.    Also, if authenticity is desired to my knowledge FDS is the only manufacturer that uses real aircraft bulbs on the 737 panels and being that I have some real 737 panels I have compared the backlighting between them and it is a perfect match.   

I love the backlighting on the overhead and mip so much so that I had to have matching pedestal panels and radios and so recently put in my order at FDS for them.  Will post new pictures when done.

You can check out my overhead videos on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5guZtlpKY&sns=em

Scott

fordgt40

Nick

I went the "hard route" using unlit panels and Opencockpit cards - see this link

http://www.737ng.co.uk/djb/Overhead%20Article.pdf

Although the backlighting does look authentic and matches the FDS MIP, never again. It took months to build and years off my life :(

David

Nick1150

After several weeks of flying with my new ProSim soft, yesterday I received my new SimWorld PnP FWD overhead panel. Below you can see unboxing pictures. The quality is more than one would expect. Congratulations SimWorld, that is a piece of art !!!! I will try to mount the overhead today on my FDS shell. I connected the OH on my server yesterday and one thing I can tell you. You can't get more PLUG & PLAY than this!

Just plug and play, as the words say... No windows drivers, its a HID device and it is recognised on its own. The only thing to do is open ProSim configuration window (one click) and check the SimWorld OH compatibility box (second click)... That's it... the damn thing works great, no .ini files to change, no SIOC language to deal with, not even one driver installation needed!!!! This is the best buy I have ever had. Excelent quality, fair price, and user friendliness.

Pics follow, hopefully a video and few more pics after mounting on my shell:

Great packaging

Excelent interior protection

This is how we first met

This is a compact design and construction

Close ups...

Nick

tennyson

Nick,
Do you think you'll go with them for your aft overhead, too?

And by the way, that OH looks great. Stright plug'n'play.....wow, that's a bonus, mate!

Frank Cooper

Flying_Fox

Congratulations, Nick!

Can't wait for the video, this should be great. Guess I need another trip to Athens...  ;)

Nick

hirail22

looks great  Nick,
I am waiting for mine to arrive, after seeing your pics. i feel better knowing it is well packed for shipping, the true plug and play is what sold me too!. too many manufacturers are loose with the term "plug and play"
congrats,
steve

Nick1150

Hi to all,

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I only had the time to mount the OH on the FDS shell. No time to fly at all. It was late midnight! Hope I find some free time during the weekend to make my first OVERHEADED (  :P ) flights.

One thing I can tell you, the quality is top and the alluminum and thus heavy feeling of the product is great.

Quote from: tennyson on October 17, 2012, 03:23:53 AM
Nick,
Do you think you'll go with them for your aft overhead, too?
Frank I will if the price is right  :)
Nick

tennyson

It looks to me that you can buy their aft overhead (in parts) for about 600 euro's.

That sounds awful cheap to me. If that's so, I'll probably be going down that path, as well.

Frank Cooper

Nick1150

Quote from: tennyson on October 18, 2012, 04:09:57 PM
It looks to me that you can buy their aft overhead (in parts) for about 600 euro's.

That sounds awful cheap to me. If that's so, I'll probably be going down that path, as well.

Frank Cooper
I am looking in a PnP solution. The aft OH is going somewhere under 2K euro but that's not officialy yet.

Just a note though... price seems cheap, but is not. It's a fair price INMHO. It's just that we are used in UNFAIR pricing in general... Best man wins at the end, if you know what I mean  ;)
Nick

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate