Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 08:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
13 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Warpalizer vs. Pixelwix?

Started by sagrada737, December 30, 2012, 03:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Guys,

Anyone using Pixelwix for projection warp control?  Any pros/cons for Warpalizer vs. Pixelwix?  Any comments on performance differences?

Warpalizer
http://www.gamewarping.com/sider/start.asp?NodeID=920

Pixlewix
http://www.pixelwix.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Pixelwarp_DT

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Maurice

If I were you, I would stick to one of the 3 tried & true solutions already successfully tested & used by several builders. That is unless you really are a glutton for punishment  ;D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments Maurice.  ope... I'm not looking to blaze any new trails in the video display arena.  Tried and proved sounds good to me.

Question:  Of the "3 tried & true solutions" for warping software that you referred to, in your opinion, which one is the preferred choice?  and why?

Also, anyone using the Optoma short throw GT750 for their projection system?

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Maurice

Quote from: sagrada737 on December 31, 2012, 07:51:57 AM

Question:  Of the "3 tried & true solutions" for warping software that you referred to, in your opinion, which one is the preferred choice?  and why?

Mike

That's a tough one to answer. I happen to have all three as I was looking for an elusive warping Nirvana thinking that one was better than the other. So I started with Nthusim at the time when edge blending was not yet available.

Then I switched to Warpalizer and I tried to get the edge blending to work for me but it never did mostly because my screen is not perfectly circular at the drywall junctions and I had a hell of a time so I gave up.

Then I switched to FlyElise and gave the edge blending another go but again no success. And then I went back to Nthusim but I will probably switch to FlyElise again for just one reason. With Nthusim, you still cannot adjust the warping while FSX is open so it is tricky getting a perfect edge butting. With FlyElise & with Warpalizer as well I believe, it is possible to adjust the grid while looking at an FSX view.

One big caveat for me is that despite my many attempts and 2 different types of projector mounts, I have not been able to stop the projectors from moving slightly whenever somebody walks upstairs. There is a minute shift sometimes which messes up the alignment and I find I need to re-adjust the edge butting quite often. It does not take long but it's a pain nevertheless and it would be an even bigger pain if I was using edge blending since the alignment is much more critical.

Having said all that, I find that a slight misalignment only bothers me when I am 'showing off' the sim. If I am doing a serious flight, I find that I seldom look out with a critical eye as I am too busy flying the beast. Many things about the visuals (and the rest of my flight deck) that bothered me immensely at the beginning no longer matter to me at all now since the actual flying procedures occupy most of my time and the outside visuals are only a minor distraction now.

When in cruise & or flying in & out of clouds with Active Sky or other scenery enhancements, FSX is still absolutely beautiful and at that time, the alignment makes no difference at all. This is really the only time when I truly enjoy the visuals as I have time to look at the screen.

And one final note. I was told at the beginning I needed to adjust the grid with a laser level. Well, frankly, I can't tell the difference from the time I used a level than when I re did the alignment several times without a level and basically eyeballing the display until the grid looked good. I find that works quite well for me but nothing wrong with being more precise if you feel like it.

Hope this helps,

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Flying_Fox

Quote from: sagrada737 on December 31, 2012, 07:51:57 AM

Also, anyone using the Optoma short throw GT750 for their projection system?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Don't bother with GT750 - it's just a variation of my GT720 with the same throw ratio of 0.72.
If you want to go 3 projectors route - consider only projectors with 0.5 throw ratio to avoid additional troubles.

Nick

DaveC

I'm using the GT-750E.  Nice projectors but with a throw ratio of about .7, you need some ceiling height or you will cast shadows from a full shell.  You can make them work nicely with about a 9' - 10' ceiling.  What else do you want to know?

Dave C.

XOrionFE

I am using Nthusim.   I ran the Fly Elise which if you get the Immersive Desktop Lite then it is a real bargain and like Maurice said, you can warp within FSX.   I am now back to using Nthusim however because I had more issues with FlyElise than with Nthusim and when I went to 64 bit with X-Plane the Fly Elise Immersive Desktop Lite did not support 64 but.   I would have had to buy the Pro Version.  The Pro version was 150 euro for EACH PC and I needed 3 copies.    Because I hate having to pay a Euro conversion premium with my US dollar I went with Nthusim Standard with is $289 per PC.   That is pretty comparable in price to the Immersive desktop Pro once you take into account the currency exchange but again...I had to pay the premium on Euro.    I cant speak for Warpalizer.   But like Maurice said, stick with one of these three choices.

Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate