Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 01:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
718 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 723
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 718
Total: 718

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My Boeing 737 Dual Yoke Control System Finished

Started by sluyt050, August 24, 2013, 06:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sluyt050

Hi all,

I just finished my 737 flight sim dual yoke system. I am quite happy with the result inspired by many of you. The bare dual yoke system I bought from a friend, I believe it came from a dismantled Belgium Flight Sim. I modified the bearings to improve mechanical stability and added a stick shaker, potmeters & gears, spring systems for roll and pitch control. Very useful information on realistic forces I found on http://www.flaps2approach.com/, thanks Iain for that!

See a photo impression below and a short movie:

My Boeing 737 Dual Yoke Control System
Edward

tennyson

That's a great engineering job you've done there, Edward.

Like you, I've just finished my yokes as well. The difference being, my frame is out of timber and we went about the centring devices differently.

It doesn't really matter in the long run, as long as it works.

Here's a vid I did yesterday, when I finished mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE_inKqkrTc

Hope you enjoy,

Frank Cooper

sluyt050

Quote from: tennyson on August 24, 2013, 06:58:08 AM
Here's a vid I did yesterday, when I finished mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE_inKqkrTc

Hope you enjoy,

Frank Cooper
I particularly like your your gears and the bottom part of the yokes: the hoods. They were not included with mine unfortunately. Ok, heads up is the remedy here  ;).
Edward

Ridgenj

Very nice work and units. Is the clearance I your base 16 cm?
Cheers

Luis

sluyt050

Quote from: Ridgenj on August 24, 2013, 10:05:08 AM
Very nice work and units. Is the clearance I your base 16 cm?
Cheers

Luis
It's about 26 cm!
Edward

Buster99

Hello Edward,

Thank you so much for sharing!
I have also been browsing all the sites and trying to read up and figure out the best approach for my own yokes.
Great to see all this helpful information, I hope that I will manage to make mine worth sharing as well.

Best Regards,
Marc

sluyt050

Quote from: Buster99 on August 24, 2013, 01:10:50 PM
Hello Edward,

Thank you so much for sharing!
I have also been browsing all the sites and trying to read up and figure out the best approach for my own yokes.
Great to see all this helpful information, I hope that I will manage to make mine worth sharing as well.

Best Regards,
Marc

Thanks Marc, you will succeed!

Cheers,
Edward

tennyson

Gee, Edward, I'm not sure where you would buy those boots. You might have to try Nick at APHS or one of the other aircraft part re-sellers.

They are made from aluminium and a queer shape, so making them would be a nightmare.

I hope you have some success,

Frank Cooper

mickc

Nice job Edward

With regard to the boots at the bottom of the yokes, I have seen a few people use a small steel mixing bowl, and cut a hole in the middle, then trim the sides flat.
Kjeitl - Norwegian 737 Project did it this way.

Also, on your yokes, how much motion do you have on the aileron axis?  it looked to be around 45 degrees each way in the video, is that the full travel in your setup?

sluyt050

Quote from: mickc on August 24, 2013, 07:28:03 PM
Nice job Edward

With regard to the boots at the bottom of the yokes, I have seen a few people use a small steel mixing bowl, and cut a hole in the middle, then trim the sides flat.

Also, on your yokes, how much motion do you have on the aileron axis?  it looked to be around 45 degrees each way in the video, is that the full travel in your setup?

Thanks for the info Mick and yes, it's exactly +/-45 deg. max.
Edward

Nat Crea

Aerosim Solutions

Good work Edward, I particularly like the roll centering mechanism utilizing a single spring!

Well done,

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

sagrada737

Hello Edward,

I'm impressed with your design for linking the Boeing Yokes.  I like the low-profile configuration and how you have integrated the various components.

I am just now considering how I would like to setup my Yokes.  Would you be willing to share more detailed information, photos and/or dimensions on what you have done?  I would like to follow your lead in some of what you have done with the Yoke system.  Thanks.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

sluyt050

Hi Mike,

I'm willing to help you were i can. The main structure + coupling parts like sprocket wheels, chains etc. i bought from a friend and that is not on drawing. The spring systems and potmeter readout construction I designed myself. I closed the flight deck now and mounted the J-rails. Unfortunately, not everything is on paper as i said. So it is impossible to give every dimension. The same applies for extra pictures, the whole thing is out of sight now. BTW, most of them I already posted here.

Kind Regards,
Edward

Flying_Fox

Hi Edward,

I also work on my yokes now, generally following your design of the bottom part.  I have to make the columns and upper gear part myself. Instead of the rods you have it will be the chain drive from top to the bottom inside the yoke column. I think I will be using linear pots instead of round ones.
Thank you very much again for sharing your ideas!

Nick

sluyt050

Thanks Nick that you appreciate my bottom  :laugh:
I was wondering if you plan to use a chain only for the vertical parts how you will be able to adjust the tension?
As you may have noticed, there are 3 chain + rod parts in my columns each having 2 tensioners (one tensioner in the horizontal part is somewhat hidden behind the spring mechanism). Very handy for making adjustments. I did not invent that myself.
Edward

Flying_Fox

Hi Edward,

I am going to install the same kind of tensioner (called turnbuckle here) into chain somewhere in the middle of the column. Since the chain is long enough, the tensioner should never reach the sprockets. And I will have a "door" on the side of the column to reach the tensioner. I ordered these sprockets:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045JJVRU/ref=ox_ya_os_product
but they will be delivered only in a couple of weeks at the earliest. But I still have plenty to work on :)

Nick

sluyt050

Hi Nick,

Ya, Patience is a quality every cockpit builder must have. Just a hint here from my experience, always use 2 turnbuckles for every chain circuit (3 in my case). This allows for chain tension adjustment preventing unwanted rotation of the yokes. It's also quite easy in this way to align the 2 yokes and maintain chain tension in all circuits.
Edward

Maurice

That is one true work of art!  Great job Edward.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

sluyt050

Quote from: mickc on August 24, 2013, 07:28:03 PM
Nice job Edward

Quote from: tennyson on August 24, 2013, 03:59:47 PM
Gee, Edward, I'm not sure where you would buy those boots. You might have to try Nick at APHS or one of the other aircraft part re-sellers.

They are made from aluminium and a queer shape, so making them would be a nightmare.

I hope you have some success,

Frank Cooper
I found a way to overcome the queer shaped boots. I used 2 mm PVC plate in RAL 7011, not much work: see pictures below. Thanks to to flexible material i had to make one thin saw-cut to get them on (hidden on the photo). So this is the finishing touch  8).
Edward

Maurice

Just as a side comment, when I built my sim, I too was looking for a way to make or buy these boots. Reluctantly, I gave up searching.

But as soon as I started flying, I never ever noticed or cared that they were missing. You are hard pressed to see the bottom of the column once seated in the flying position. Nor were any visitors horrified to see a hole in the floor instead of a boot.  :)

But I know...rationality & common sense is not rampant among flight deck builders. Been there, done that  ;D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

sluyt050

Quote from: Maurice on September 05, 2013, 09:38:20 AM
Just as a side comment, when I built my sim, I too was looking for a way to make or buy these boots. Reluctantly, I gave up searching.

But as soon as I started flying, I never ever noticed or cared that they were missing. You are hard pressed to see the bottom of the column once seated in the flying position. Nor were any visitors horrified to see a hole in the floor instead of a boot.  :)

But I know...rationality & common sense is not rampant among flight deck builders. Been there, done that  ;D

Maurice
I am just scary that in the heat of the battle something precious will disappear through that hole and in the worse case will jam my yokes.  ???. Okay, it's no common sense, just a mix of fear and fanatic perfectionism...
Edward

Andrew 737

Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate