Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
464 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 475
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 464
Total: 465

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

32" HDTV is awesome!

Started by Boeing Skunk Works, November 23, 2009, 09:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boeing Skunk Works

I got all of the IVAO software loaded up today. The MTL file took over an hour to download and install. It has quite a few liveries and aircraft for each.

I cannot believe after a three year absence from on-line flying that there is still not a Lufthansa 727 in the aircraft library. There are over 3400 aircraft and liveries in the library. They were the third customer for the 727 after Eastern and TWA and had the same size order as Eastern.  ::)

I hooked up my 32" HDTV today for the left side view and now there's no going back. I won't be getting another one of the Hanns 22" monitors for the left side after all. It's gonna have to be a 32"

The IVAO flight went very well after I got the mic configured. It was good to hear a German accent again on the radio. It's rather inconvenient to have to change radio frequencies on the Wideview client, what with a keyboard and a mouse that there is no place for. I operated the mouse on my kneee and had the keyboard leaning up against the sidewall. After I used the 'W' key to get the MIP up for the Caravan on the client, I went to full screen, opened the radio stack and undocked it, and then used the 'W' key to eliminate the MIP and keep the radio stack. Then I moved it nearly all the way off-screen to the bottom left of the monitor along with the IVAO interface. This was over my shoulder in the cockpit so I didn't really see it unless I wrenched my neck around to change frequencies.

As soon as I'm able to afford the two comm heads and a transponder I can once again eliminate the keyboard and mouse from the cockpit.

Man, what fun that was to finally have ATC again! I was assigned the KPT1J Max Performance Departure out of Innsbruck by the controller. This is a max-climb, 154KIAS to 5K, a turn to 280 for a couple of miles and then a minimum radius left turn at 25° or greater bank direct to AB NDB, then direct to RTT.

He advised me not to use the AP for this departure.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: He must be used to dealing with aircraft monitors instead of pilots.

The controller gave me direct Kempten (KPT)  before I reached AB. I don't know if he's ever seen a 727 perform a max-climb departure before!

As usual for most of my flights I was given direct PSA for Frankfurt long before I was able to recieve it. He gave me a vector to fly and I told him when I'd be able to go direct. The arrival into Frankfurt was broken and 6000 and 4000, rain showers and wind 22022G32. Made for an interesting instrument approach but it was all good by 1500'. Hard to bracket in that kind of gusting wind.

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Trevor Hale

Wow Mike, what a difference the TV makes..  I bet you love that..  sorry CNN, No more place for you on that TV, its time for Flightsim views only :)

Great Stuff, and I am glad to hear that you have gotten back to the IVAO flying.  it is just too bad when you change the comm freq on your main flightsim PC, the Com Freq on the wideview clients doesn't change as well. 

Fun fun..  Keep us posted.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

That would be nice, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to hurry up the purchase of new radio heads!

I'll just plug those into the client running the IVAO software and I'll be set!

Damn that was fun. I can't wait until tomorrow!

XOrionFE

Nice looking Mike.

Cant wait to get my pit to a flyable state.   Maybe by Christmas....

carlos hermida

Wow Mike, looks very real with this 32" HDTV !!
Have upgraded my front view simulator last  month  from 26" to the new  32" LED HDTV from samsung and need to say that colors are impressive from my old LCD TV (5 years old) and the best, night flight now looks real black night with this LED technology.

I love to fly online,too. It makes all the diference to feel the real flight ambience in my opinion. Normally i fly online about 2 times per week as i fly on British Airways Virtual (BAW704) since 2002, in my opinion, one of the best virtual airliners around.  :laugh: :laugh:

ETomlin

Mike, how far away is the screen from your eyes/face? I ask because I wonder how good (sharp, pixelated, etc.) the image is that close to you. When you look at the viewing specs for the 42"+ screens it tells you something at 6+ feet for proper viewing. Ive contempleted 3 42"+ screens for my fully enclosed sim vs. 3 projectors just due to the incredible resolution that you get, but if it's too pixelated at 4' or less, then it's a questionable investment.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Boeing Skunk Works

It's not as sharp as a smaller monitor would be. It's about 15" away. It's only a 720 monitor though. I'm hoping a 1080 will be better.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate