Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 04:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
475 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 506
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 475
Total: 475

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Yoke and Column Build Part II

Started by XOrionFE, December 12, 2009, 08:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Here are some more project pictures.     Everything is working now although I am still playing a little with springs and door closer adjustments.  I may change out the lower springs to elastic bungees instead.  The pulleys work perfect and yokes turn together in perfect harmony!  Thank you to Trevor for the method of locking the cables from slipping on the pulleys and also providing a way to adjust (while I couldnt find the locking wire nuts you mentioned Trevor, you gave me the idea to use wheel collars instead which work similiar, thanks).     Wiring of switchs and pots to come next but thanks again to Trevor and Michael I shoudl have that solved soon.    Note that the crossover tube and door closer mechanisms will be closed in with covers and by the TQ base.  Once complete I plan on making a short video to post with all in motion.

Regards,
Scott

Trevor Hale

Scott, it looks awesome.  I am happy that we were able to help.  The result is incredible.  I am sure you are quite pleased.  The pictures of the yokes together really doesn't do it justice I am sure.  Keep up the great work.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

ian@737ng.co.uk

scott, this is amazing,
well done captain (do you want to come to wales for a holiday?   got beer  ;D  )
regards ... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

XOrionFE

Thank you guys.

Ian....oh how I would love to visit and take you up on that beer.   Until then I will just have to be satisfied perusing your wonderful site.

I have to tell you that my kids (I have triplets that are 3 years old, 2 girls and a boy), love your dog!   On your cockpit shell page the first picture shows your dog outside.   The kids for some reason are fixated on that dog.   Everytime I sit at the computer they want me to go to your page and see the dog.....lol

Anyway, thanks again and I will take a rain check for if and when I ever get to visit the UK!

Best Regards,
Scott

NAX228

Looking great! I wouldn't think that material would be stiff enough, but since you built it I guess it is anyway.
I have a dualyoke project going to. As with all my other projects, it's a v.2.0 but I think I have it this time ;)

What is the "thingy" on the middle of the crossbar? and is there coming a TQ on top of that later on? I smell some interference.

-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

XOrionFE

Quote from: NAX228 on December 13, 2009, 05:13:05 PM
Looking great! I wouldn't think that material would be stiff enough, but since you built it I guess it is anyway.
I have a dualyoke project going to. As with all my other projects, it's a v.2.0 but I think I have it this time ;)

What is the "thingy" on the middle of the crossbar? and is there coming a TQ on top of that later on? I smell some interference.

The PVC is plenty strong with the exception of the crossbar which could be stiffer.   It may be better to have the crossbar made of steel pipe and I may change it out later.    The only problem with the PVC cross pipe is that it can twist (tortional weakness).   It is not too bad but just enough that with the weight of the yokes on top of the columns they can create enough momemtum if you move them in jerky fashion that when one side is moving real fast then stopped (pitch) the other has a tendency to want to keep going from intertia.  This is noticible mainly in the form of unwanted feedback through the crossbar.  That said, real pilots don't jerk their yokes around like that in pitch.    If you fly normally then there is no problem at all and it is plenty strong.

The contraption in the middle of the crossbar is for dampening.  You need to use two gas struts and I chose two screen door openers available at your local homecenter based on a friend of mines design.  He also cut the two pieces you see in the middle from HDPE that they ride in.    Will this interfere with the TQ?  Possibly...   But only at the bottom which for me is not a problem because I am making my TQ from the Simparts.de kit and it has room at the bottom for this.   Anyone trying to do this should be taking that into account during their planning.     

NAX228

Thanks for explanation. I have chosen to put the crossbar underneeth the floor in the basemodul. I await the TQ from the french guys and in the TQ there is a leobodnar card that have plenty of axes available. I will hook the yokes and buttons on them via that card.
I will make a post on my design later on. I won't nick your post ;)
Keep it up!
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Boeing Skunk Works

That looks great Scott! The yokes from Nick look good too. Mine came from a 727 that he used to fly regularly before it was taken out of service. I think about that alot while flying it; that Nick flew with this very same control wheel in the real aircraft. I'm glad he took good care of it for me.  ;D

PVC pipe is very stong and very tough stuff, but as you said, torsionally weak in the thinner schedules. And gets worse with length. Possibly a piece of hard copper pipe in that diameter could be used?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

when acting as a wave

This is looking fantastic! Very inspiring. I've been following this project because we're about to enclose ours in a similar fashion. We haven't quite managed to source the right material yet though, because we use a continuous metal chain and need to ensure that it doesn't clatter around inside the pipe once it's fitted  :-\  We're only a fraction out, but it's far enough to be causing frustration!
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

Trevor Hale

Dean,

That sounds quite interesting..  Cant wait to see pictures of that.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

when acting as a wave

I was initially going to attach a small pic to better show what I meant but didn't want to hijack the thread  :)  I'll certainly put up some photos of it once it's done though, and the process behind it.
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

Maurice

Great work there Scott. Someday, I will unfortunately have to tackle the yoke 'problem' and I'm already tired just at the thought of starting  :) . But when the day comes, I know I will appreciate the ideas that many of you have come up with and which will undoubtedly help me as well.

Thanks for posting the details of your build and I'm sure many others will benefit from this as well.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate