Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:39:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
181 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Squelch on radios?

Started by when acting as a wave, December 15, 2009, 08:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

when acting as a wave

Hi there

We're just about to complete the design of our radios before assembling and fitting them to the ATR, although we're not sure whether to build the squelch function into the circuitry or not. Is this actually able to be operated from within FS?

If anybody could help us out that'd be great!

Cheers,
Dean.

Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

Boeing Skunk Works

I've never seen a squelch knob on any aviation radio, real or simulated except for HF. It's not neccesary in that area of the AM band.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

when acting as a wave

Cool, thanks.  :)

The radios my father is working with are Collins-type and (from my very basic understanding) the switches differ from NAV to COM to ADF; there's a three-position switch, or a four-position one, and also one that's just on/off/volume.

He's now thinking of perhaps just putting a simple switch in there which controls the power to the radios to allow them to be turned on or off, but we're yet to properly investigate whether there's an offset for enable/disable radios within FSUIPC.
Ruscool Blog

Trevor Hale

The Only FSUIPC Offset that would be available to do that as far as I know is "FS AVIONICS" When you turn the Bus off, the radios (And everything else) Go out.  Least that's how my Go-Flight Radio's work.  Then when you turn the bus back on, seems the radio comes back on automatically.

If you install a "Volume POT" with the switch for turning it on, that would be the best way.  Or a Rotary switch just to turn the power on.  Your Volume actually comes form the FS PC anyway, not actually from the radio. 

Here is the Problem though that I imagine you and your father will need to sort out.  Your I/O Cards are going to have trouble Initializing the Display boards if you remove power to them, so I would suggest that your father and you connect this switch to connect or disconnect the common Cathode on your 7-Segment displays's.  Basically all the switch would then do is turn on or off your radio display.  this would allow the I/O Cards to do their thing in the background.

I hope that makes some sense..

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

when acting as a wave

Fantastic! Yes, that makes sense (even to me  :P ) ... Great explanation!

Ruscool Blog

when acting as a wave

Back again. My mistake, it was just the display that was going to turn off, not the whole radio. I got a bit carried away, but it's all good, because I now know why this wouldn't work due to your explanation, so thanks again Trevor.

We have a facility in the processor to 'blank' the digits, so for all intents and purposes it will appear as though the radio is OFF.

Dean.
Ruscool Blog

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate