Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 03:56:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
491 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 506
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 491
Total: 491

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Pedestal Build....

Started by XOrionFE, December 27, 2009, 04:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Thought it was time to build the pedestal so I got started over the long holiday weekend.  I used half inch plywood for the main structure and the rails are of aluminum angle inlaid into wood sides and runners.   I wanted to have a close to authentic look around top edge so I used some 3/16" poly I had around to make the edge.  I cut and rounded the top edges with a router bit and then bent using a torch to heat the plastic.   Worked perfect except that the poly I had was not quite long enough to make it all the way to the front of the box but I think it still looks ok.   The box is colored a very light grey (almost white) and the edge is the same grey as panels. Last pictures are with the OC radios and panels which I hope to populate with Nihad's knobs.   I just had to see how it looked in the pit...

Well, that is where the build is at to date.   I am

hoping to get my hands on another Weber seat in the up

coming weeks and my throttle kit from Simparts is

somewhere between Germany and my shop right now so

progress is being made.  Time to get some more work done

on the MIP and glareshield.

Scott

NAX228

-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Boeing Skunk Works

That looks great Scott! A heck of a lot cheaper to build yourself too than buying a box for $600.

Although quite a bit smaller, that's pretty much the same way I built mine. I had to divide the front 3" though with another crossmember to slide the AP into the forward bay of the box.

Keep up the great work!
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jackpilot

Very nice result....DO NOT STOP....when building fever strikes !
The poly top part is really well made ....(inspiring for mine) I tried to bend an Alu bar but it came out not as nice as yours.

Jack

Trevor Hale

Scott,

I am in shock.  This is exactly what I need to do, and you have done a stunning job.  The poly looks amazing, and your final result is incredible.  I am so jealous.

Great pictures too!

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the kind comments.   I may try to see if I can find a longer piece of the poly from the local sign shop so I can remake it so it reaches all the way to the front of the box.   It is one of those little details that while it may suffice...tends to drive you nuts if you know what I mean.    This stuff bended really easiliy ones heated and then really holds its shape again once cooled down.   If I can find the right length poly I could make a couple more if anyone needs one.  I would just need the exact top dimensions of your box.

shaneb

Wow Scott!  Your build is looking great, I really like the box and the poly looks great . . . the whole pit looks great, the columns really came out well too!  Looking forward to seeing your progress buddy! 
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

ETomlin

Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

when acting as a wave

This looks fantastic. Well documented as well. Great work!

Dean.
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate