Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 11:05:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
522 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 522
Total: 522

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

How many of you have converted to x-plane

Started by Ridgenj, May 11, 2016, 06:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridgenj

All, I was over at the ProSim737 forum and got surprised about statements that x-plane is not commercially attractive and it was stated that only 5% of us are using x-plane. Are the aerodynamics at 20000 feet so bad that it becomes a deal breaker?

It would be interesting to know how many have converted to x-plane. I have invited all those being told that x-plane has no future to come over here.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cheers
Luis

XOrionFE

I have.  I dont run FSX or Prepar3d at all anymore.  I have a whole stack of pricey orbx software and megascenery along with tons of aerosoft titles collecting dust on the shelf for past year and a half.

One of the reasons I dumped the NG was because the Prosim guys kept promising but never delivered and I found some of the folks on their forums to be really haters of those of us running x-plane.  Decided finally to give up.  I loved their product but without x-plane support it was worthless to me.   

That said, it seems Prepar3d keeps getting better all the time.   Ultimately it is great that we have all of these choices and various developers are keeping all flavors alive and well.

RayS

I've fully converted.

I started entertaining X-Plane back in Version 6. Sadly it was just not up to par with FSX/FS2004. The scenery, display, environment, weather, ATC was horrible.

However, the flight physics.. even way back then, were superb and easily out-classed anything MS had to offer.

Fast forward to today.

Scenery is amazing. Flight physics is improving (Not that it was bad to begin with) yet it keeps getting better. Weather, hardware interfaces, Arduino & Teensy interface libraries all are maturing at a phenomenal rate. My entire sim is now X-Plane and I've never looked back. The night lighting, scenery, freeware airports and aircraft, in addition to some really great payware AC make X-Plane the winner hands-down.

Looking back, FSX, even P3D looks a bit 'cartoonish'.

A few months ago I bought the full version of P3D... I've used it...

...once.

It just doesn't compare anymore to X-Plane.

Ray Sotkiewicz

XOrionFE

Quote from: RayS on May 11, 2016, 07:23:24 PM
Looking back, FSX, even P3D looks a bit cartoonish

Ray, you hit the nail on the head.  Cartoonish is how I would describe as well.   That is exactly the way I felt trying to run latest versions of P3d.   No...cant go back.  X-plane is just more real-life to me and I have thousands of hours in the air to compare to.  Just my personal opinion of course based on my real life experiences flying.   But again it is great to have options.

Back to my XP based 732...

Nat Crea

Definitely XPlane10 for me personally.

99% of my visual work is still with FSX/P3D and honestly it hurts to look at it,
even though it pays the bills LOL.

However the next job I have involves a FDS NG and dual P3D/XP Visual system. Ill let you know how it goes next month.
SimA is running REALLY well with X-Plane and improving.

Nat

kurt-olsson

X-Plane 10 all the way!

I personaly HATE FSX and Prepar3d!

It looks rubbish, and seeing people boot up their wonderful sims with 21FPS cartoonish stutter display breaks my heart!

As a programmer, thinking of the legacy compiled code that  talks to the GPU Pipeline in FSX makes me want to close my eyes...

MjTom

Why only XP? It´s better than real google earth!
I´m shure: XP and the x737v5 are the future for HC-building.

cockpit view 3000ft with reshade:

cockpit view 3000ft without reshade:

google view 3000ft

so long, Thomas

727737Nut

I was a former X-Plane hater!  Bashed it allot, lol     Been in X-Plane now for almost 2 years!  Won't go back, period!  The GUI is way behind FSX/P3D but they have promised better.  Actually I like it now that I have been using it but I will admit, for the first few months I was questioning myself.

With the FlyJSim 737-200   IXEG 737-300 there is no way or reason to go back!  The IXEG 733 on my 4K tv's looks stunning and very real.

Rob
737 Junkie

Bob Reed

I too have switched. I like the graphics and the "feel" of the plane better. It has come a long way in a few years. Although I have not put my sim back together yet, more on that later, I am working on all things for the sim. Just like the 2 50" monitors I have bought from work to be my outside visuals. Post with a pic in a few.... I have just entered the Teensy world and I am liking how that is working out as well. I will not go back and the way it looks it will only get better!

jr2mey

I have never used X-plane.  Been FSX or P3D during my 14 years of this hobby.  That being said, after a few hours of phone conversations with Bob, it has got me scratching my head as to whether or not I should begin a switch as I build my 737NG cockpit.

While it may seem FSX / P3D is cartoonish as others have talked about, I have found that I really relish the accurate topography i can get with add ons like Mega Scenery.

For all you XP users, do you get the same accurate topography?  Is there a 738NG plane available?

James

quid246

XP seems to be better suited to those building 737CL versus NGs.

Although ProSim works to a large extent, the plugin is definitely Beta from what I heard... and SimAvionics which apparently runs quite well with XP is rather "geared" towards FDS's own hardware.

Is there anyone running a full NG setup on XP and able to run the logic and autoflight as well as something in P3D?

kurt-olsson

James, if you want to build the 737NG look at the x737.
95% of the NGX and totally free!!!

No need for prosim, just hook up the dataref and you are good to go. Use Teensy with FlightControls Library.

This gives you total control!

I am building my sim on this aircraft.
Building the MCP, EFIS and real throttle conversion right now.

mariodantas

Hi fellows

For a P3D to XP conversion that I want to do, wich avionics suite is the best ?, Sim-A ?, XHSI ?

quid246

XHSI looks good but unfortunately not polished like ProSim.

Plus hard to integrate hardware like SimWorld with XPunless using the not-ready-for-prime-time  ProSim plugin.

MjTom

from the X-PLANE.ORG  comments for a advanced x737-XHSI:

Quote:
"For the x737 v.5 : sure, as soon as I can find the time!
For the IXEG : sorry, nothing planned..."

So, the x737v5 will be the 738NG for cockpitbuilders.

...and befor I give ProSim737 1 Cent, I will see a working and supported program.

:2cw:  so long.....

Ridgenj

Thomas, I wrote to Marc asking him to help us and I also donated for development. Probably if all 737NG builders contribute with some donations, he might find the time to move faster.

:2cw:

MjTom

Quote from: Ridgenj on May 13, 2016, 10:49:11 AM
Thomas, I wrote to Marc asking him to help us and I also donated for development. Probably is all 737NG builders contribute with some donations, he might find the time to move faster.

That´s exactly also my way to motivate somebody, to optimize his freeware for us. I tested ProSim (600€), I testet Sim-Avionics (1200€)....ok, the displays looks better at this time.
But XHSI have all conditions for a comparable product.
When others make a fuss to develop x-plane, then it´s time to support the hobby-developers.

.....so long

jackpilot

Just a note: SimAvionics cost is 890 Euros not 1200.
;)

Being still with XP, good ol FS9 and Magenta I will have to "refresh"
Seriouly contemplating XPlane and SimA .
Need a kick in the butt.. something like a major HD crash  :D

Jack

AVIATor-Olav

I'm in the process of converting my 727-200 to X-plane. I moved on from fs9. Not looking back!

FredK

I have to admit that what I have seen regarding XPlane's night visuals is compelling.

However.....right now I am in sort of a very rare "sweet spot" regarding this hobby.  I am flying P3Dv3.1 with SimA and all is working really fine.  So I find myself flying the thing more and actually enjoying it....rather than wasting time frustratingly trying to fix this or that problem.

And P3Dv3.1 coupled with Ultimate Terrain and GEX really is not at all shabby.....particularly for daytime flying.

So for the foreseeable future I just want to enjoy the "sweet spot" before embarking on my next quest.  When I get bored with it I will move on.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Fred K

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jackpilot

Jack

Bob Reed

Yes... Switching is not plug an play! There is a lot of work to switch. I am switching because I am on a new build so now is the time to play. 

Ridgenj

I also agree, if not broken don't fix it.
I need to rebuild  and this is the best time to switch

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

JustinWheat

I have a Jetmax737 from FDS that I would like to get fully synced with X Plane 10. Who do I need to contact in order to get some help with this?

RayS

You're in the right place. :-)

I think one of the big differences in X-Plane is it's handling of switch/button events.

Take the landing gear lever for example:
In the FSX/P3D world, you could wire up a simple SPST switch and FSX/P3D can recognize the 'On' event as 'Gear up'. Likewise the 'Off' event for that same switch could recognize it as a Gear Down event.

Not so with X-Plane (Disclaimer: Yes there are plugins to circumvent this issue but I try to run as few plugins as possible, lending towards stability)

In X-Plane, Gear Up Gear down requires 2 separate switch 'On' events. In this case you would need at least a SPDT switch.

X-Plane sees both Switch 'On' events and you can assign 1 'On' event to gear up, and the other 'On' event to Gear down.

If you're not confused yet, it only gets better! :-)

Basically when I converted my FSX sim to X-Plane all I really needed to do was replace all my SPST switches with SPDT. Granted, that ate up twice as many inputs on my interface cards but a lot of flok here are using Teensy.

Teensy and X-Plane are a match made in heaven. Teensy can act as an IO card, joystick card, and has the ability to talk directly to Datarefs (The equivalent of FSUIPC Offsets)

Welcome to the dark side! We have cookies. :-)
Ray Sotkiewicz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate