Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 11:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
470 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 506
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 470
Total: 470

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

RAL 7011 - Paint Options

Started by GarethH, November 29, 2017, 03:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GarethH

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on sourcing spray paint to paint the screws/ bolts for my MIP and OVH panels which are all from Cockpit Sim Parts UK.

I can see on their website that the paint code is RAL 7011 – but looking online I can see options for the paint finish like gloss level etc.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction for the best supplier and the paint code and finish please?

Cheers.

Joe Lavery

Hi Gareth,

I use RAL 7011 bought from a car paint supplier. They put it in a spray can for me. It;s not cheap but most car paint suppliers would be able to do it for you. I use semi matt, which may not be accurate but I think it look fine.
If you have spray equipment you can also use water based acrylic paint. My pal Jonesthesoftware put me on to this, you can get it made up in RAL 7011 in B&Q.

Hope that helps,
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

ifeliciano

mickc

Quote from: ifeliciano on November 29, 2017, 04:24:17 PM
I was told the actual color is Federal Standard 595  FS36118

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36118

This is correct.  36118 for the panels and 36440 for the sidewalls, knobs etc.

RAL colors are what most sim panel makers use though as it is easier to get in Europe where a lot of them are

On a side note, if you are looking for a proper matt finish with automotive grade paint in a spray can you will need it to be custom mixed, and they can add the flattening agent to it.

737NGer

Quote from: mickc on November 29, 2017, 05:09:33 PM
Quote from: ifeliciano on November 29, 2017, 04:24:17 PM
I was told the actual color is Federal Standard 595  FS36118

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36118

This is correct.  36118 for the panels and 36440 for the sidewalls, knobs etc.

RAL colors are what most sim panel makers use though as it is easier to get in Europe where a lot of them are

On a side note, if you are looking for a proper matt finish with automotive grade paint in a spray can you will need it to be custom mixed, and they can add the flattening agent to it.

Definitely not my area of expertise...but aren't there different shades of grey in the cockpit of the NG?

The electric metering panel is a slightly lighter shade of grey as an example.

And no...it's not because of manufacturer differences...there's only one manufacturer that makes 95% of all panels on the NG.

ifeliciano

Quote from: 737NGer on November 30, 2017, 05:05:27 AM

Definitely not my area of expertise...but aren't there different shades of grey in the cockpit of the NG?

And no...it's not because of manufacturer differences...there's only one manufacturer that makes 95% of all panels on the NG.

Well. I mentioned FS 36118 and Mick posted the other color, FS 36440 and these are two different shades or grey. Isn't this is what is used when a new 737 rolls off the assembly line?

mickc

Quote from: 737NGer on November 30, 2017, 05:05:27 AM

Its a standard, so there is always slight variations in the color. 

There are few panels that are made by external companies, and their contract specifies the FS 36118 color.  Those companies would have different paint suppliers, or even 3rd party lightplate manufacturers that contract to them.

For example:
BAE Sytems make the electrical panel (as you know Youssef  ;) )   and Spectralux make the lightplate.
Honeywell make the ISDU panel, and make their own lightplates etc.

Where the elec panel is a touch lighter, the ISDU panel is a little darker.
Gables radio plates are lighter than the AVtech ACPs used on the NG

Any difference in the shade of grey is just down to general variations.

Do a google image search for FS 36118 and see how many different colors come up

Bob Reed

I have talked about this for years. I worked for an automotive paint supplier for 8 years. There where colors like dark grays, blues reds yellows and gunmetal type colors could have up to 25 variants. PPG supplied variant decks. No idea what they do or what they call them today. They still have something like them I am sure. As a painter, I know that colors will change tint just using up what ever is in the container. Change your air pressure, pass speed distance from surface.These will all change the tint of the color as well. MANY things will change the tint.

Joe Lavery

In the search for excellence it looks like some of us are more paranoid than Boeing about the colour of our panels...  :huh: If they don't care why should we.

Having talked to the real pilots, they will tell you that you sometimes they even get brown panels as a replacement  in an NG. Variations in grey are more common than not.

Personally I think that 7011 is close enough.

Just  :2cw: of course, everyone's expectation of realism is different.   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

navymustang

Personally I think grey spray paint at home depot is accurate enough  :)
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Caflyt

I have used Krylon grey primer in some areas and the color is pretty darn close.

Craig

ifeliciano

Quote from: Caflyt on December 05, 2017, 03:01:00 PM
I have used Krylon grey primer in some areas and the color is pretty darn close.

Craig

True. I have some FS 36118 touch up paint and my rattle can of grey dupli-color primer (DAP 1692 Gray Hot Rod Primer) is almost the same tone.

jackpilot

Tamiya Gunship Grey 2 works for me ;)

Jack

GarethH

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I took a piece of my MIP panel to my local DIY store who have a paint mixing machine. They scanned the panel and came up with a close match.

I have also purchased a can of spray paint on eBay for less than £5. This was advertised as RAL 7011.

I will post pictures of the results soon.
Gareth

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate