Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 10:55:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
496 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 527
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 496
Total: 496

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Need help/input to my cockpit project

Started by Flyboyandre, September 05, 2010, 09:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyboyandre

Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum as I decided to venture into the world of constructing my own cockpit. This comes after admiring so many incredible builds out there for a long time.
That being said, I want to preserve my extensive collection of add-on planes so I would like to build a cockpit that's universal to whether I choose to take an Airbus, Boeing or maybe even a Fokker or something else out for a flight.
As you can see below I will have a clean canvas to work with and hope you guys can share some thoughts or maybe even pictures of something that would suit my needs as I start from scratch. shell will be built in 2 parts in order to give me some chance to take it with me in the event that I move.
I'd like to use my CH yoke and pedals along with the Go-Flight throttle but may replace the VRInsight and Saitek modules with something that's more compatible with advanced add-ons when I go to the depth of building a new setup.
The bug finally hit me when I started playing around with FSUIPC's advanced features, which in turn led me to desktopaviator's circuitboards in order to accomplish what the Saitek modules can't with switches, etc. Other things I'm throwing around are Projector, multiple PC's linked together, etc. All are options for the right idea.

I've also linked my current setup on a picture below just for reference and would love to get some support in turning the dream into reality.

Thanks for your time :)

Bob Reed

Hi Andre and welcome! You have a great start there. As far as keeping it generic, you will need to make lots of concessions. I am sure a couple guys will jump in here but it is really going to matter on what you will accept. I am building a King Air B200 and after making that decision it appears I will be able to do a number of AC because I am going with a KA with a glass cockpit. You might want to pop over to airliners.net and poke around and see what is out in the real world and draw ideas from there.

JWS

Hi Andre,

Welcome to insanity ;)

There are a lot of people favouring a specific airliner and it makes it easy in some way because there are vendors who facilitate a choice between Boeing and that other brand.  ;D
But if you go generic you can use a lot of stuff anyway (I think the FMC made by Smith Industries and used in 737's can be found in other aircraft as well). Yes, you'll have to make concessions, but the only one who doesn't is the guy who buys a full scale simulator. So no worries there. It's all about the fun you have and the goals you set. If you are happy with a cockpit that isn't 100% 1:1, be happy.

Good luck.

JWS

Bob Reed

Quote from: JWS on September 06, 2010, 09:26:34 AM
Hi Andre,

Welcome to insanity ;)

There are a lot of people favouring a specific airliner and it makes it easy in some way because there are vendors who facilitate a choice between Boeing and that other brand.  ;D
But if you go generic you can use a lot of stuff anyway (I think the FMC made by Smith Industries and used in 737's can be found in other aircraft as well). Yes, you'll have to make concessions, but the only one who doesn't is the guy who buys a full scale simulator. So no worries there. It's all about the fun you have and the goals you set. If you are happy with a cockpit that isn't 100% 1:1, be happy.

Good luck.

JWS

Yup!!

Flyboyandre

Flyboyandre

Maybe a bit backwards but couldn't say no to a good deal from Craig's List :D
Insulation, moisture barrier, plywood for the sub floor, drywall around and above comes next.
Then I'm off to the design of the cockpit itself and this may take a while as I've yet to make up my mind on exactly what to do.

I decided to go with three 22' screens via TripleHead2Go. This will fill the entire width of the cockpit.

Flyboyandre

Yeah I know that the progress is slow but that's the way it goes when you take on a massive project and burn your body the first few days :)

I pretty much finished the outside drywalling today. Just need to tape and mud some seams along with the easy job of covering screw heads.

I even managed to get the R13 insulation in the floor tonight so I am pretty much ready for the plastic vapor barrier and plywood flooring tomorrow.
Where do we go from there? We insulate and complete the drywalling on the inside :)

Here is today's progress in pictures.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate