Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:52:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
544 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 567
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 544
Total: 544

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Hail From Worcestershire In The (snowed in) UK

Started by NeoMorph, December 18, 2010, 09:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMorph

I started out with Flight Simulator II back in 1984 on a Commodore 64. Only 1 plane and one area but it blew my mind and got me hooked. I was going to start building a cockpit back then (while I was living in the YMCA) but I never did for some reason. Maybe it was the awesome graphics putting me off hehe...

subLOGIC Flight Simulator II for Commodore 64 

Since then I have bought pretty much all of the Flight Sim versions but never got around to doing a cockpit (or even anything other than a joystick and throttle arrangement). I did start to accumulate parts but things got in the way (like an ex who kept a load of my stuff including most of the parts I had already bought).

But now I've finally decided to go ahead and TRY and build a cockpit (based on an ATR 72-500 probably). No way will I be able to build anything like a 737NG (mainly due to price and space). I might even have to go down as far as a GA aircraft but I'm determined to build something that I can fly.

Atm though I've spent ages looking for a site that sells dual rotary encoders in Europe somewhere. Found sites that sell single rotary encoders but not double with a push button (ie for the GPS unit). Parts seem in short supply for cockpit builders... but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Anyone know of a good (and cheap if possible) source of encoders and other switches etc? I'd rather build my own parts but I need the components to build them.

NeoMorph
Ye Olde Gamer
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Emesis

LOL.... Wow does that video bring back memories! Can't believe how far we've come since those days. Used to also play one on the the C64 called Solo Flight, where you had to deliver the mail and fly IFR. The screen was all grey to simulate IFR.  :D

Welcome to the forum and reminding me of how old I am!!  ;D

Cheers

NeoMorph

Yeah... I used to think that was the most awesome thing to fly at the time... navigating across the map was amazingly difficult for someone who had more takeoffs than landings back then... (I think at the time it was 1 landing to 100+ takeoffs in real life... I was one of those nutters who jumped out of planes for fun heh).

Well I've just given myself a Darwin Award... I ordered an interface card from Leo Bodnar the other day... Then have spent the last few days looking for a rotary encoder to go with it. Only turns out that there were ones on the SAME PACE AS THE DAMNED BOARD I ORDERED lol...

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/ <--- This is the board I ordered....

Oh well, you live and learn eh?  ::)

Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

bussgarfield

Welcome aboard from the not so sunny Spain.

Spoke to family today back in the UK and understand the 'snowed in' bit.

I have taken the 737NG route for my cockpit and am eagerly awaiting the release of the new PMDG NGX. Good luck with your cockpit which ever way you decide to go. You will find it an enthralling 'hobby' and there is a wealth of information from the guys on this forum.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

phil744

Snowed in a bit is an understatment, just taken me 3 days to get back from India!! the floor in terminal 1 at munich is much better to sleep on than the one at hyderabad let me tell you :)

Welcome to the forum :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

NeoMorph

Some of these snowed in stories are horrific... like being stuck in a plane on the runway for hours on end and not even being given drinks... and what is worse being told if you leave the plane you will be arrested (yeah, that was reported on the BBC news site). Others are stuck in the airport terminal for the 3rd day now...

I knew this had to come... been too many years with a mild winter. I remember it being worse than this when I was a kid though. I remember opening the front and back doors of my house in Cannock and the drifts were up to the top of the doorway. Not seen winters like that in a while... The problem is our councils have become complacent and this has led to places already using 60% of their gritting stocks.

Hey, at least my Flight Sim is accurate... I've told my passengers that it would only be another 20 mins until takeoff... for the 30th time...  ;)

mikeh

just seen the link - I also did FS from C64 onwards.
Here in Warwick we have enough snow to make me happy I run a 4WD Disco but not so much as some.
Dont know about sleeping on the floors but seem to remember when I came back from Ascension Island in Feb 1980 (out doing a 2yr tour with BBC) to UK (summer to Winter) I didn't thaw out for months - must have been same for Hydrabad to UK
Funny - I seem to be doing less flying since the 'building' bug struck !!! must keep going.  just waiting for the GAAR (Great Australian Air Rally) to come around in Jan. - flewn it for several years - an absolute blast if you like 50's aircraft
My special aircraft hanger has Viscount 812, VC10, sitting alongside ATR and more recently have been flying B738 with VasFMC2 (only glass system that has me enthusiastic for modern Jets - but I have to admit to have been waiting around on street corners fow what seems an age for 737-NGX
Have a good Christmas All
Mike
ATR72 build project

ian@737ng.co.uk

hello neomprph................
sorry for the late welcome, been off for a few days.
ual encoders with pushbutton see leo's site www.leobodnar.com
he's got the elma e37 duals with pushbuttons on sale there.
also CTS288 single encoder with or without pushbutton as well.
or for really cheap single encoders with pushbutton, search
Sure Electronics on ebay.    all these work with the BU0836
family of cards.
regards from oswestry, welcome and merry christmas......

ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

NeoMorph

@Ian... I tried looking for Sure Electronics on ebay and couldn't find them. Do you have a URL maybe?

@Mikey... I think a lot of people are waiting for the PMDG 737-NGX. From what I have seen of PMDG planes they look rather sweet to say the least.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate