Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:48:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
137 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 137
Total: 137

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Buttons and Knobs for a G1000???

Started by Tom_G_2010, June 15, 2011, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_G_2010

I am considering going with a glass cockpit for my GA pit build.  Long term I want to go analog but until I can put enough pennies in the sim fund jar for that it won't be happening.

For the buttons and knobs around the bezel I want to get as close a look to the real thing as possible so I''ve been hunting for Garmin style hardware without much success.

Does anyone know of a good source for such items?
PC: Intel Core i5 @ 2.8GHz, 6Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, ATI Radeon HD5450
SIM:FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASE sp3, Megascenery Earth & X

Tom_G_2010

Still coming up empty on my search, how about you Bernard?

Anyone else have any ideas on a source?

jackpilot

Trawling EBay or the catalogues from major NA or European electronics suppliers (mixing and audio equipmt)....
but you probably did that already.
Would you have a picture and specs of those knobs.

Jack

shaneb

I don't know if these links will help as I am not sure the specific type of knobs/buttons that you are looking but they have quite a few knob choices.

http://ehcknobs.com/index.php?id=CK1

the link below is a distributor for EHC

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?N=0&Ntt=knobs&Ntk=Primary&i=0&sw=n
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Tom_G_2010

Quote from: shaneb on June 23, 2011, 07:43:19 PM
I don't know if these links will help as I am not sure the specific type of knobs/buttons that you are looking but they have quite a few knob choices.

http://ehcknobs.com/index.php?id=CK1

the link below is a distributor for EHC

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?N=0&Ntt=knobs&Ntk=Primary&i=0&sw=n

Thanks for the links, a few of there items might work with only minor modification.

I also exchanged e-mails with Garmin today and found out that the factory original knobs are available as user replaceable parts, but not the buttons.  The buttons are part of a solder mounted switch and therefore not replaceable by other than an authorized service center.  So I'll be calling them for a quote as soon as I have time.

In the interim, I'm still on the hunt for the switch caps or buttons.  I'm looking for a better pic but this should give you a basic idea.

The buttons look to be charcoal gray rectangular and slightly domed.

Tom_G_2010

Quote from: jackpilot on June 20, 2011, 03:47:50 AM
Trawling EBay or the catalogues from major NA or European electronics suppliers (mixing and audio equipmt)....
but you probably did that already.
Would you have a picture and specs of those knobs.

Jack,

Interesting that you mention audio equipment as I do some audio engineering on the side, but hadn't thought about that as a source.  Mackie's D8B digital studio board has some buttons that have a similar look to the Garmin G1000 buttons, so I'll be hunting for a scrapped board as a possible source. Or, calling Mackie to see about the cost of replacement parts.

Thanks!

geneb

FYI, one of the knobs on the G1000 is a 4 (8?) way switch.  I actually found a reasonable replacement for it from Mouser.

I'll try to remember to dig up the link I found this evening - if you guys don't hear from me again by Saturday morning, please PM me to remind me.

How much is the knob set from Garmin?

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Tom_G_2010

Quote from: geneb on June 24, 2011, 06:30:43 AM

Haven't been able to break away from work long enough to call them.  Hope to do so later today or Monday.  Will post back with my findings.

Tom_G_2010

Quote from: Tom_G_2010 on June 24, 2011, 10:59:17 AM
Quote from: geneb on June 24, 2011, 06:30:43 AM

Haven't been able to break away from work long enough to call them.  Hope to do so later today or Monday.  Will post back with my findings.

I should have expected this, but the Garmin kit of knobs for the G1000 (Garmin Part Number K00-00350-00) costs $125!!!  At that prices they should be cast platinum with gold filigree.  Well may cast silver . . . 

Maybe I'm just cheap, but for a small pile of mold injected plastic bits worth about 96 cents in materials, even figuring in a fair mark up and margin, that's not an expense I can justify.

So, I'll be continuing my hunt for alternative lookalikes.

Actually, plan C might be to go the Analog gauge FSXpand or Project Magenta route with a temporary monitor mounted on the face of the instrument panel while I save up for the mechanical gauges.  The more I look at that and the costs (even if I through it a few encoders to avoid mouse use) it may still me more affordable considering it's a temporary or interim phase .

jackpilot

Price of parts involves much more than raw materials and markup.
Cost of things like design, testing, certification, securing supply for relatively small quantities etc must be recouped.
Especially in Aerospace where failure of a part is not an option.
For a "real" set of Garmin knobs $125 is pretty reasonable.

This being said, I agree that decent look alike (which you like) will do the job as well in a Sim and probably no one would ever notice the difference as the pleasure and satisfaction derived from such a set is to use knobs, whatever their shape,  to interact with the soft instead of unrealistic mouse clicks.

Check Radio shack they have several models readily avail. here are a few out of my bin. :D
30 Knobs package
[ebay]320720213102[/ebay]
Also search "knobs" in Pro Audio Equipment EBay

Jack

Garys

These guys have a nice selection of knobs at cheap prices. Probably not 100% accurate but will look good none the less.
http://www.american-milspec.com/c-107-knobs-aircraft-and-radio.aspx

Gary

geneb

Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Tom_G_2010

Quote from: jackpilot on June 28, 2011, 09:19:23 AM
Price of parts involves much more than raw materials and markup.
Cost of things like design, testing, certification, securing supply for relatively small quantities etc must be recouped.
Especially in Aerospace where failure of a part is not an option.

Jack I agree and having worked in a range of industries and in everything from a small family business to a large global corporation I'm familiar with those costs.  I also have some friends in the plastics and mold injecting business and have a fair sense of the costs as related to those parts.  At $125 they are more than covering design, testing, certification, raw materials, supply change management, markups, the liability, the lawyers, the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker  ;D

But no matter, in a free market economy if people will pay that price then that's what the knobs are worth.

In the interim, you and others have given me several ideas and places to search for suitable lookalikes.  So, I'm off to seek and find!

THANKS ALL !!!

Tom_G_2010

Quote from: geneb on June 28, 2011, 06:51:41 PM
Here's that link I promised you guys - sorry it took so long!

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Multi-Directional-Switches/_/N-5g2z/

g.

Thanks for the link.  I'm finding Mouser to have a pretty amazing selection.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate