Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
545 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 583
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 545
Total: 545

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

N1 and speed ref knobs

Started by jackpilot, June 20, 2011, 12:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

I'm into soldering miles of wire.
Are these two rotaries, which actually should be concentric duals, modeled by FS and consequently should they be interfaced?
JP

Jack

Nat Crea

Jack, as far as I know, the N1 and Speed Ref are not modelled yet.

I didnt wire, but if your in the mood...  :o

Nat

jackpilot

Good, I bought 100 feet rolls of each color and I'm already short !!!
:D

Jack

blueskydriver

Jack are you using single strand wires and spinning them? How about networking cable (CAT 5/6)? We used Cat 5 for the entire wiring of the MIP and FWD Overhead. Purchase a 1000ft roll and you'll have 8000ft of wire because network cable has 8 strands. Plus, you will not have to twist, nor have too many wires all over. Yes, if you have a problem later, the network cable could take a little longer to find, but if you make a chart and document everything, you'll know right where to look...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

I suppose the wires are not colored inside the cable.

Jack

blueskydriver

Actually they're colored Blue, Green, Orange, Brown for the first set, and then Blue with white stripe, Green with white stripe, Orange with white stripe, and Brown with white stripe. If you use the color as a positive and the matching color with white stripe would be negative. Thus, four sets.

However, if you're doing led's, the FDS-SYS cards uses jumper black wires, so that would be 7 possible leds per strand, plus number 8 for the common ground. Then you would just jump the grounds with short wires because you usually wire the leds in a set or section. For switches, you can do the same thing with jumpers, so less wires.

Don't know which way you're attaching to wires to switches, but if you want to get it done this year, don't attach wires to the screws. Instead, use 22-18 spade type, crimpable, connectors. Buy 400 for the Overhead and MIP. You will use over 200, but since they come in packages of 100, you will have extras for the Aft Overhead and Ped later.

Finally, another way to make the jumpers is use the spades of course, but also use in-line butt-slice 22-18 crimp connectors. We started with soldering approach to make extensions, but forget it! It takes way to long to do one hundred wires when you have to solder two times per wire, and then cover with heat shrink using heat gun two times.

Order the spade and in-line connectors from Ace Hardware on-line here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pk-100-Insulated-Spade-Terminal/dp/B000H5WOGQ

This is from Amazon and is the sheapest we found back then.

Here is the link for the butt-splice connectors:

http://www.amazon.com/Pk-100-Insulated-Spade-Terminal/dp/B000H5WOGQ

Also, plan to post this on the other forum post you have so Maurice might read it...just got a PM from you, and the answer is "yes it was"...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Speedbird17

Quote from: melnato on June 20, 2011, 04:27:08 PM
Jack, as far as I know, the N1 and Speed Ref are not modelled yet.

I didnt wire, but if your in the mood...  :o

Nat

I have the knobs, will install soon and the "yet" will change :-)
Ralph
London, UK
www.737-800bbj.com

Increasing Success by Lowering Expectations

jackpilot

Jack

jetpilot

Jack,
Although they are no modeled yet, I decided to put the concentric knobs and wire them (just to be ready). I bought the concentrics from sismo in spain. However for us ,FDS mip owners, the process to  adapt them is a little bit long. However they are really good.

jackpilot

What do you use or plan to use behind the dual knobs, as the inner knobs are driving rotaries and outer knobs are spring loaded center for one and encoder for the other (to the best of my knowledge)
SimA has offsets for the inner knobs.

Jack

fordgt40

Jack

According to the manual

N1 Outer = switch
N1 inner = rotary, spring loaded to centre

SPD Ref

Outer = switch
Inner = rotary dual speed

I used rotary switches, centre drilled the shafts and used another concentric shaft to drive an encoder. So I do not get spring loaded to the centre nor dual speed (unless I can programme it in SIOC).

David

saabpilot

I did pretty much the same as David and connected them to a CP Flight MIP737 board. 
Works flawless but can not use "speed dialling".

Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate