Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 07:27:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
516 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 567
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 516
Total: 516

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Hello from MinneSNOWtah

Started by DaddyBooks, January 16, 2012, 03:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddyBooks

<Well...it's not so snowy during this abnormally brown winter>

Greetings All...

My name is Robert (aka DaddyBooks) from the Twin Cities of Minneapolis / St. Paul in Minnesota.

I'm a long-addicted sim addict and recovering real-world Private Pilot (no more medical) who has spent at least 5 years or more dreaming about a hardware-based sim.  Everytime I set it down for a year and come back to think some more, I'm amazed at the progress that has taken place in the community.

I'm now (finally) well into the research phase for a 737 project to realize that dream and just beginning small steps into the procurement phase.

The accomplishments, passion, and examples of your terrific projects are inspiring and I hope that, in the future, I have the opportunity to meet a few of you in person.

Project Overview

The plan is taking shape.  Here is what I'm considering in general order of integration:

• Dual-seat NG which will hopefully fly on the PMDG NGX flight and systems model (awaiting SDK release).
    Possibly SimAvionics to drive the interfacing and avionics.
  • Initally two (2) systems -- Intel Core i7 39xx / GTX 580 graphics (possibly SLI for FSX visuals)
    Possibly three (3) depending upon benchmarking
  • TripleHead2Go visual system
  • Flight Deck Solutions foundation for MIP-initially and likely the FDS DSTD environment.  My plans are to eventually integrate into an FDS shell and dress with their liners.
  • Throttle Quadrant
    A very challenging component given numerous choices ranging from OEM refit ($$$$) to beautiful off-the-shelf TQ ($$$).  I hope to eventually motorize.
    The new JetMax option from FDS looks very intriguing as a first TQ to get me flying.
  • Single yoke to start with and a vision to perhaps procure / interface / integrate OEM controls with linkage
  • Platform with initial underfloor space for addition of control linkages for yokes and rudder pedals in the long-run
  • Forward Overhead (TBD)
  • Pedestal (TBD)
  • Rear Overhead (TBD)
I'm leaning towards the visual system as my first phase of this multi-phase program as I think that has value in allowing early flying with some level of immersion.  The inital plan is to build the visual system (integrated screen and projector mount) and platform to be on wheels with the ability to register the platform and screen components together for possible mobility and future flexibility.  Construction will take place in my pole barn and I may eventually be allowed to move into the basement -- however, my lovely Bride would prefer the full-scale audio immersion to be an acre away from the house.

My background is computers with some electronics and digital controls background (former military).  The creative interfacing approaches in some of your projects are fascinating and I selfishly want to try them all.  The mechanical prowess and craftsmanship that many of you show is amazing and that is where I have much to learn.

Anyway, this is about introduction and a bit about my plan.  However, if any of you want to throw darts at my roadmap and tell me where you have better ideas, I will be grateful to learn from your hard-won experience.

Thank you all for this community...

...Robert (aka DaddyBooks)

blueskydriver

Welcome to the PARTY!

I suggest you get a B737-300 Real Cockpit for about $5,000-$15,000 (going rate), in fact there will be 10 on the market soon from Universal Asset Management  N301UA to N310UA (all United Airlines).

Otherwise, what you have listed is right on track...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

Sounds like a good plan Robert.

welcome to the madness that is cockpitbuilding!

Best regards,
Scott

jackpilot

Nice Roadmap! Welcome aboard

Keep the steam building up and stay the course!  :D
Jack

Jack

DaddyBooks

Quote from: blueskydriver on January 16, 2012, 03:47:45 PM
I suggest you get a B737-300 Real Cockpit for about $5,000-$15,000 (going rate), in fact there will be 10 on the market soon from Universal Asset Management  N301UA to N310UA (all United Airlines).

I actually gave this a lot of thought recently as there was a recent auction on eBay for tail number N332UA.  When I compared the separate cost of the TQ, yokes, overhead components, etc, I think I could come out ahead.

I went so far as to research shipping which was significant.  There was an option to pick it up personally which would require wide load permits across four (4) states but is doable.

The deal breaker for me was the size.  Freight size of about 13' x 13' x 11' which once inside would be okay but doesn't fit through my 10' x 10' door.  My son-in-law suggested we section the frame to get it into the space but I think I'll save that level of ambition for a later stage in my cockpit building career. :)

The seller told me that their other salvage cockpits may be sectioned below the deck which would have worked but this one was cut off behind the galley and contained the full equipment bay under the flight deck.

...Robert

blueskydriver

Robert,

Don't know if you saw the B727 I have, but it is 12'2"x12'x10' without the bottom cut. UAM will cut the bottom off for $2,000 and thereby reducing the sizes a great deal. The B727 is longer than the B737 because of the Second Officer position. You would in fact be able to get the B737 under your 10'x10' door. I have a B737 in the garage and it went under a 9' door.

If you're really serious about getting a cockpit from UAM, you need to call Michael Kenney. I will PM his office, cell and email info to you. I just got back from there this past Friday with Ipeco Seats... I will posted pictures shortly.

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate