Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 11:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
222 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 251
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Feels so good to be back again!

Started by HondaCop, August 22, 2012, 09:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HondaCop

It has been 21 months since I last came over and worked on my home cockpit. Roughly two years ago, we purchased a new home and unfortunately, there isn't a spare room which I could dedicate to the sim, so for all this time, the sim has been collecting dust in the shed.

Now, after much persuasion on the Mrs., we have come to an agreement where I can use a corner of the living room for a sim BUT I must cut some corners on the build in order not to make a huge mess of the living room. LOL

As such, I will rebuild my sim and I will shoot for a more practical approach instead of a faithful replica of the B737-800NG.

With this approach, I will convert it to a half cockpit (captain side only) and I will use PVC piping to construct the skeleton that will hold everything together. When I say skeleton, it will hold my yoke, throttle, mip, stands for the monitors, etc.

The good thing about doing it with pvc over wood is that is very easy to work with and much lighter. It also can be build modularly and in sections quite easily.

One thing I learned when I was doing to "replica" approach was that I soent more time trying to do a faithful replica of the real flightdeck that I hardly ever was pleased with the results and never finished anything. On top of that, I never flew it either!

With this new approach, I plan on making it "airworthy" asap so I can enjoy it more. Another good thing is price. It should be much cheaper to build, especially now that I don't need to get duplicate hardware for the FO side. I know full cockpits look awesome but in reality, 99.9% of my simming is alone, so there is no reason for me to spend money on parts for the FO side.

Anyway, I hope to have some pics up very soon and get started with part two of my project. I think this  time around it will be more fun.

Happy to be back!

jackpilot

Hey Efrain
Nice to have you back!
Curiously our latest member, is riding the other brand...BimmerCop! :D

Glad you re-join the madness with wisdom!
Many thanks to your better half!

I used PVC piping in a previous Sim. Can be tricky to make a sturdy structure.
Aluminum comes in all sorts of shapes, bars, corners, rods etc and is also light and easy to cut and bolt together...give it a thought.

In any case, welcome back and keep us in the loop.
Jack

Jack

HondaCop

Actually, Jack, BimmerCop is me! It had been so long that I didn't even remember if I still had an account here. Is there anyway you can DELETE that BimmerCop account?
BTW, I do have a BMW now. hahaha I traded in my Honda for it.

As for the aluminum, I thought about it but I still think it's easier for me to work with pvc. But thanks for the suggestion.

And please, if you or someone can delete BimmerCop, that would be great. Is it an option I have aswell? Can I delete the account myself?

jackpilot

Jack

jackpilot

Jack

MLeavy737

Hey nice to have ya back :) just having any kind of sim setup is a great thing! Much better than a desktop with a joystick !

Also keep in mind.. When your dealing with airliners such as the 737 they typically fly and land much better from the FO side than the Captain side so dont be too quick to think you should only build the capt side ;)

Mike L

The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate