Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
153 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 186
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 153
Total: 153

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 Wipers

Started by jackpilot, October 01, 2012, 05:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

Now that I have a windshield.....(Mau.. Please do not laugh!! ::) )

Before I hit local junkyards or Ebay, would anyone have some to spare.

Me nut I know :laugh:

PS : Mike ...NO ..do'nt do that and anyway I need the left side one too. :D

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on October 01, 2012, 05:16:01 PM
Now that I have a windshield.....(Mau.. Please do not laugh!! ::) )

Actually, this makes a lot more sense than the 1" gauge because you can actually see them and they are very obvious in any cockpit pictures and you will see them all the time as well. Can't say the same for the micro gauge  ::). I would get wipers myself if I could get them at a decent price. But yes, you are nuts anyway and so am I on occasions.   ;)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

With Mau's seal of approval, was a breeze to implement! :laugh:
Blades are 12" but will be swapped for winter style (less irrealistic than these flimsy ones.)

From inside, really adds and highlights the presence of a windshield.(so clean that you dont see it!)

Jack

Nat Crea

Love It!

Im officially not the No.1 lunatic anymore :D

Nat

XOrionFE

Fantastic looking Jack!

Also, I may have missed it but where did you get the grab handles?  Are they the real deal?   They look fantastic as well.

Scott

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on October 20, 2012, 06:46:49 AM
Love It!

Im officially not the No.1 lunatic anymore :D

Nat

Beg to differ. You're still #1. although there are a few other would be contenders...BSD & Scott come to mind  :)

Maurice

MLeavy737

Look great Jack! And don't laugh.. Wipers are the primary surface for icing conditions in flight :) sometimes its hard to tell when your in clouds/moisture in between layers for engine anti-ice and if you are you will start to see some moisture coming from the bottom of the wiper. 

Im definitely installing them on my shell :)

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Maurice

Quote from: MLeavy737 on October 20, 2012, 07:59:01 AM
Look great Jack! And don't laugh.. Wipers are the primary surface for icing conditions in flight :) sometimes its hard to tell when your in clouds/moisture in between layers for engine anti-ice and if you are you will start to see some moisture coming from the bottom of the wiper. 

Im definitely installing them on my shell :)

Mike L

Now, THAT is one novel excuse for adding wipers! After all, there is a real danger of icing conditions in Jack's garage or your media room.  :)

I know that there are several worthy contenders for the title of nuttiest simmer, but the prize will definitely go to whomever installs sprinklers in the ceiling and a refrigeration unit to bring the outside temperature to sub-zero. How about it BSD? If anyone goes that far, I think you are the most likely candidate. This will nicely complement the fuel exhaust smells in your sim room  ;D

Maurice

blueskydriver

Uh...

-Wipers...Check

-2 Air Conditioners Running Right Now (temp now, 58F and falling)...Check

-Handles...Check

-Jet Fuel Scent on Blower Fan...Check

-Spraying Mist of Water to Replicate Rain...Thought of it and trying to figure it out...Check

-Been Checked For Lunatic Status...Check

-Becoming Number 1 Simmer Nut...In Progress!

Did I leave anything out? LOL :o

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

MLeavy737

Lol.  Were all here on this forum.. I think that makes us all nuts!

Point of wipers the way i see it is for the visuals.. The Handle overhead and the wipers count just as much as the visual system itself!  Anytime your looking out the window in the airplane your looking through those two things so may as well add em to the sim!

Mike L

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on October 20, 2012, 08:53:45 AM

Did I leave anything out? LOL :o

BSD

Well, there is still cabin pressurization. But please don't go there. I would really hate seeing men in white coats taking you away to a padded cell. In my eyes, you're already the undisputed candidate for the title.  ;D

Maurice

blueskydriver

Mike,

You're right about everyone here being "nuts" and this site should be called "Crackpot Builders.com" As for the Wipers, I couldn't agree more, they are the best thing I included as they provide the mid-field form of depth of field. The MIP being the near field and the projected images being the far field, the mid field is what helps with that illusion factor, and that is why glass or plexi is needed on the shell with the wipers installed.

Maurice,

Pressurization does sound like fun and I have wondered how to at least get the ear popping sensation. Imagine that, ear popping as you go up and down... Okay, I know...I am late on my meds again. Alright, what about smoke in the cockpit timed to an Instructor Station?

I have it all figured out. You see, for RC planes you can get a smoke pump and tank, and then you can get smoke oil that is used for RC planes/Fullsize show planes. The smoke pump is a electrical 4.8 volt device and it can be triggered via an output like an FDS relay. All that would be needed is a heat source for the smoke oil to go into. Or, a simple Walmart brand smoke machine could be used and then wire it's trigger button to the FDS relay.

Another idea I have is to actually connect O2 tank(s) to the O2 mask outlets and thereby, have working O2 when needed. O2 tanks are easy to purchase now days.

Another idea is the rain effect as mentioned. I thought, why not put the plexi on the front windows, but make it like an enclosed flat box with enough room for the wipers to move, and then have an enlcosed water mister to spray the side towards the cockpit. Heck, the whole water thing could be cycled through a cold device (fridge or whatever) and now you have ice crystals. The only problem is the front plane of the plexi would not get wiped off. Although, if a rubber strip could be added to the frontside of the wiper blades it could work.

Finally, I really Saturdays like this where I get goofy...sometimes goofiness turns into awesome ideas that actually work. So, thank you Maurice for encouraging my insanity...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

MLeavy737

BSD,
  There are sims that pump smoke into the pit.  I was in one during a demo where this company was selling these smoke hoods that go on and extend to the instrument panel so no matter how smoke filled the pit was you could easily fly with the 6 pack instruments.

Having said that i dont think burning oil and pumping it into the sim is a good idea lol.  I sould look at entertainment smoke amd see about that.  Fog machine i guess. Must be something they use that would work better than oil i would think.

Are we really discussing pumping smoke into a sim?? Lol.  Ok, i must be in the right forum with all you nut cases :):) 

Mike L

Maurice

Quote from: MLeavy737 on October 20, 2012, 11:33:53 AM
, i must be in the right forum with all you nut cases :):) 

Mike L

I object to that remark. There is at least one beacon of sanity around here and I am the one  ;D

Maurice

blueskydriver

Well, smoke, but more likely a fog machine. I thought of the other way because I already have those items here, being that I also fly RC planes. Still, the fog machine would work to fill the cockpit easily, so might try that someday.

Maurice, oh yeah you're the beacon of sanity, more like beacon of denial...lol. You have the best sim around, so that is like the nut calling themselves peanut butter, or a smooth way of putting it.

You guys are fun.

John

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on October 20, 2012, 12:09:33 PM

Maurice, oh yeah you're the beacon of sanity, more like beacon of denial...lol. You have the best sim around, so that is like the nut calling themselves peanut butter, or a smooth way of putting it.

John

Best sim around?  :o :o :o Whatever you are smoking, inhaling, injecting...I want some of that. ;D If I had the best sim around, would I have torn it apart to re-organize all the cabling? Just look at the pics and tell me again how great my sim is.

I made a monumental mistake when I build my sim. I placed all the computers at the back of the shell and that meant long cables everywhere and a real wiring mess under the platform. So I am now re-doing all the cabling and moving all the PCs to the front of the shell as well as changing the projectors mounts to get them higher up.

In other words, very poor initial planning on my part. But since everything is exposed now, I might as well add wipers too :)

Maurice

jackpilot

WHAT!

I thought it was a very smart idea, as you can work on the PCs and see what happens in the cockpit, instead of going back and forth to make adjustments,
What's the diff, between a front mess and a back mess?
Are you planning to put them low in front of the shell (crawling in the dark and tripping over wires) or behing the screen?
Any probs with the long wires?

PS:Scott: real ones from Nick, he may have wipers too  :D

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on October 20, 2012, 01:26:52 PM
WHAT!

I thought it was a very smart idea, as you can work on the PCs and see what happens in the cockpit, instead of going back and forth to make adjustments,

Not all 'smart' ideas turn out to be smart. The PCs are not going to be behind the screen (that would be an even dummer idea). Its a bit hard to describe the final setup, so you will have to wait to see the finished product. And no, I will not need to stumble in the dark and step over cables. You'll see  :)

And by the way, I never needed to 'work on the PCs' while trying to see what happens in the cockpit so not sure what you meant by that. All my PCs can be accessed remotely either with VNC viewer or Teamviewer so I never really had to touch them, except for the FSX PC which crapped out on me.

Maurice

nicd

I thought I was nuts. In fact I think I am nuts. Ashamed to admit that I installed a string of super bright leds around the top of the window frames in a U shaped channel, just outa sight, pointing down. They come on automatically when the sim is in daylight, off when it goes into night. Gives a cool sunlight effect on the bottom window frames and spilling into the cockpit.  Now.. how to get it to move when banking...  :o

BUT wipers.. surely you can't be serious! Do they move when you flick the wiper switch?  ;D

Nat Crea

QuoteBUT wipers.. surely you can't be serious! Do they move when you flick the wiper switch? 

Right...some kind of Award/prize to the first nut who gets wipers working! ;D

Nat

simlady/ Karen

Wipers with working water misters? Smoke machines?... what's next?

Here's what I'm going to come home to some day after work....
I'll be driving down our highway when I have to pull over onto the shoulder of the road to let the Fire trucks, Hazmat team and the Paddy wagon pass by. I won't be scared or nervous because I knew exactly where they are going...my house.

I'll pull into the driveway and see the bellowing smoke coming from the garage and shake my head as the Fire fighters run around looking for flames as I park my truck. Someone from the Hazmat team will run up to me and tell me that the house could explode any minute now because they smell Jet fuel and I'll just smile at the man. The paddy wagon will be standing to the side with a straight jacket for the person responsible for this. I just shake my head and laugh to myself because I know BSD is trying to do a perfect landing so he gets a good Pilot score and doesn't even know what is going on outside.

I'll walk through the front door with everyone in tow and the first thing they will hear is the rumbling coming from the garage and then the First Officer voice going through the landing checklist. Bells and alarms will go off with the countdown of the decent and then I'll open the garage door to hear BSD yell, "I'm landing... I'll be right in... Can you make me something to eat?"

I'll laugh and tell the Paddy wagon men that they found their man but they can't have him until he lands and completes his check list. I'll warn them, if they take him now, he's going to get upset that he didn't complete his flight and his rating will be down. I'll let them know I value my life as I turn around, go into the kitchen and make BSD a ham sandwich for his trip.

blueskydriver

First, Jack sorry we all hijacked your post, but you gotta admit, when a good post gets started it was meant too be and it gets everyone talking/posting, which is a good thing.

Second, I was napping for the last 6 hours, so I didn't know Karen posted and she just went off to bed before I read hers. Now, I admit everything she posted is 100% true and I laughed really hard after reading it because she nailed it good.

Thus, I cannot top her, so I rest my case and will reserve myself to flying and just sniffing jet fuel scent for now...although, this is not the last you'll hear from me on this. That fog machine I saw in Walmart was pretty cheap...lol.

John

Ps. Nat my shell has the wiper motors installed, so all I need to do is wire them up and they'd work. Believe me, I thought of it, but that is why I thought of the water boxes as well...what good are working wipers with no rain. Heck, I even thought of having little tiny rubber wheels on the wipers so they could go back and forth on the plexi without drag, but I figure what good is it with no water still? You know, I might same day try to make water boxes though, just for the fun of it.

Nat Crea

Quoteso all I need to do is wire them up and they'd work...

Close enough John...you win!!!  ;D

Nat

N737AG

Karen and John

You guys must be awesome people

Axel

nicd

I want Maurice to get his wipers going and set it up to spray water on the windshield to simulate rain.

Then he'll need to move his computers to the back of the sim again  ;D

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate