Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 08:30:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
551 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 583
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 551
Total: 551

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Switch over to NVidia Surround with GTX680

Started by sagrada737, March 28, 2013, 09:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Folks,

I have been wanting to change my display setup from the TH2G setup with my GTX680, to take advantage of NVIDIA's Surround display mode with bezel correction.  Today I made the change, and I am glad I did.

The process was very simple.  Here is a link for those interested:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1887/

In less than 10 minutes, I had a new display setup, minus the TH2G.  The result is an increase in image contrast and greater resolution over the TH2G.  I'm now using FSX with 5820 x 1080 resolution with my 3-monitor 70" HDTV display setup.  I have my Frame Rates set within FSX for "Unlimited".  My scenery is MegaScenery SoCal, and I can report that the improvements in display quality are quite impressive, with significant improvements with night flying scenery.

Now... what to do with the Digital TH2G...

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

HarryZ

QuoteIn less than 10 minutes, I had a new display setup, minus the TH2G.  The result is an increase in image contrast and greater resolution over the TH2G.  I'm now using FSX with 5820 x 1080 resolution with my 3-monitor 70" HDTV display setup.  I have my Frame Rates set within FSX for "Unlimited".  My scenery is MegaScenery SoCal, and I can report that the improvements in display quality are quite impressive, with significant improvements with night flying scenery.

Hi Mike,

I too switched from a TH2G to a Nvidia 660 card and used the surround view...and got a higher resolution displayed with my BenQ projectors.

I quickly sold the TH2G rather than keep it around gathering dust.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

sagrada737

Hello Harry,

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad to hear that the performance of NVIDIA's Surround mode is consistent.  One thing I noticed was that there was a dramatic increase in display contrast and color intensity. 

I wonder how that complimented your BenQ projector images?   Also, which BenQ model projectors do you have?  I'm tempted to get one to experiment with.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

carlos hermida

Quote from: sagrada737 on March 29, 2013, 05:57:26 AM
Hello Harry,

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad to hear that the performance of NVIDIA's Surround mode is consistent.  One thing I noticed was that there was a dramatic increase in display contrast and color intensity. 

I wonder how that complimented your BenQ projector images?   Also, which BenQ model projectors do you have?  I'm tempted to get one to experiment with.

Mike

How did you connected your displays to GTX680?
1 monitor - HDMI / DVI
2 monitor - HDMI / DVI
3 monitor - HDMI / Display port or HDMI

Any pictures? How about FPS ?

I am thinking to do the same on my sim that runs 3x Samsung LED tv's with TH2GO now with 3840 x 720, but I need to know if it really don't decrease too much my actual FSX fps running 5760 x 1080...

HarryZ

Quote from: sagrada737 on March 29, 2013, 05:57:26 AM
Hello Harry,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Using the surround view and new nVidia drivers,  I was able to jump from 3840x800 res up to 5760(1920x3)x1080!  I didn't think that my BenQ MW 814 ST projectors were capable of that res since their native was    1280x800.  As a result I got a crisper image with deeper color.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

sagrada737

Harry - Thanks for the feedback on the projector type and model.  '

Carlos - In my case with the GTX680 NVIDIA card, I connected two of the monitors via DVI (DVI to HDMI Cable Converter), and the third monitor HDMI.  As far as Frame rate...  It seems to perform best with my frame rate in FSX set at Unlimited, which is what I had with the TH2G setup.  I don't notice any difference in frame rate performance using the Surround setup, but I think I recall that some folks see a difference.

Mike

carlos hermida

Quote from: sagrada737 on March 30, 2013, 02:46:52 PM
Harry - Thanks for the feedback on the projector type and model.  '

Carlos - In my case with the GTX680 NVIDIA card, I connected two of the monitors via DVI (DVI to HDMI Cable Converter), and the third monitor HDMI.  As far as Frame rate...  It seems to perform best with my frame rate in FSX set at Unlimited, which is what I had with the TH2G setup.  I don't notice any difference in frame rate performance using the Surround setup, but I think I recall that some folks see a difference.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Just my last....what GTX680 are you using because there are a lot of models out? 

I am think to order this one : EVGA GTX680 FTW 2GB  part number # 02G-P4-3686

It will upgrade my EVGA GTX480 SC that runs my visual sim now.

Let me know,

sagrada737

Hello Carlos,

I'm using the Gigabyte GeFroce Nvidia GTX680 2GB GPU, Model Name:  GV-N680OC-2GD

I hope this helps.

Mike

jskibo

Carlos,

I run the EVGA one you mentioned.  Works great!
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Sam Llorca

Hello CB, have anybody experimented with this card? looks interesting!!!
EVGA GeForce GTX 690 Hydro Copper Video Card - 4GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI-D, 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x Mini DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Quad NVIDIA SLI, (04G-P4-2699-K2)

Thanks.

Joe Lavery

Gees... Sam,  none of us poor simmers can afford it, well other than Scott (XOrionFE) perhaps.

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Sam Llorca

I know right? Scott has all the good toys!!! If any one can check this item and let me know if it can work with 3 projectors and Nvidea 3d settings to get better res than the matrox triple head, please let me know.

jskibo

I'm not quite sure how anything can improve upon Sam's sim. :)
Less than 4 years to retirement......

carlos hermida

Quote from: sagrada737 on April 01, 2013, 08:49:44 AM
Hello Carlos,

I'm using the Gigabyte GeFroce Nvidia GTX680 2GB GPU, Model Name:  GV-N680OC-2GD

I hope this helps.

Mike

Thank you Mike !

carlos hermida

Quote from: jskibo on April 01, 2013, 08:59:41 AM
Carlos,

I run the EVGA one you mentioned.  Works great!

Hi John,

Bought it , on the way... ;)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate