Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
160 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 157
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Audio "Notch Filter" for Comm use...

Started by sagrada737, June 11, 2013, 09:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

I'm using FSX for my Sim Server.  As you may know, it has the ability to produce audio voice for ATIS by selecting a valid Comm frequency.  If you are within 20 miles of the airport, it will play through the FSX computer audio.

That said, the aircraft sounds also come from the same audio output, which makes it difficult to understand ATIS over the other sounds.  If I turn up the volume, then everything gets louder, and it is just as difficult to hear ATIS.

Question:  Has anyone used an audio bandpass "notch filter" to isolate the voice frequency (say around 500Hz to 1500Hz) ? 

The idea here is that the output of the notch filter would go to separate speakers inside the flight deck so that the voice component of the audio, eg. ATIS would be heard more clearly.  This capability would allow the full effect of the aircraft sounds, but at the same time, allow for clear voice audio.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Trevor Hale

LOL, Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a sound volume adjust built into flightsim.

ATC Slider
AIRCRAFT ENGINE SLIDER
NAV SLIDER
EFFECT SLIDER?

Therefore you could alter the volume level of the different sounds?

Trev

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jskibo

Or....Fly on VATSIM, route the VATSIM audio through your headset and the FSX audi from the speakers.

Less than 4 years to retirement......

sagrada737

Thanks for the heads-up guys.  The Voice Slider in FSX seems to do the job.  As a newbie to everything related to Sims, I'm literally trying to learn everything at once - FSX, Sim-Avionics, 737NG Procedures, Flight Deck hardware, FSUIPC... the list goes on... including all the basic stuff like FSX Sound.  Sometimes the answer is right under one's nose  :)

But sincerely, I thank you for your help and patience.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Maurice

Mike,

A better solution is to add a second audio device to your FSX pc. This is the USB device that I used and it works great (through different speakers of course).
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&item_id=034732

You will also need a cheap audio amplifier since the USB device will only work with headphones.  You can then isolate the engine sounds from the other sounds and you will have no problems hearing the voice transmissions as they will come through the speakers attached to the audio amplifier.

FSX allows you to do that and having a second audio is the best option in my opinion.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

sagrada737

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the tip.  This device sound more like what I was looking for.  If I understand things correctly, my current audio card in the FSX computer will serve the Engine sounds, etc. and the USB audio device can be assigned to the Voice Sound in FSX.  Is this how you had it installed in your FSX setup?

Mike

Maurice

Yes Mike, that is exactly how I set it up. If you go into the FSX audio properties where you adjusted the sounds volume, you can see that you have a choice of 2 audio outputs. They should both show the same audio device now but once you add the USB audio, you can assign it to the voice outputs.
Piece if cake really :)

Maurice

Joe Lavery

Hi Maurice,

Is there any way to assign the second audio device to say one of the pots on the 737 audio panel. Is that possible? I can't recall seeing any ideas along these lines.

Any thoughts,

regards
Joe.

PS. Sorry to hear you're abandoning your pit, I sincerely hope you'll stay around to occasionally give us the benefit of your vast knowledge and experience that this project has undoubtedly given you. As you have done many times in the past.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Maurice

Quote from: Joe Lavery on June 12, 2013, 05:41:19 AM
Hi Maurice,

Is there any way to assign the second audio device to say one of the pots on the 737 audio panel. Is that possible? I can't recall seeing any ideas along these lines.

Any thoughts,

regards
Joe.

Hi Joe,

In theory, I would say yes. In practice, it would likely require some tinkering and modifications of an audio amplifier.

In my case, I could control the volume via a knob in the small amplifier. That knob is certainly attached to a potentiometer. So, you could replace that knob & potentiometer with the knob & pot  in your audio panel. There is no reason that I can see why that should not work.

All you would need to do would be to cut the 3 wires going to the pot in the amplifier and re-attach them to the pot in the audio panel and that pot should have the same resistance and should have an audio taper (as opposed to a linear taper)

Should not really be that difficult. It's always much easier to tell somebody what to do rather than doing it yourself :)

Maurice

Maurice

Joe Lavery

See, I knew you would have an idea that was simple, and "why didn't I think of that".  ::)
I'll build a little amplifier and fit it inside the pedestal, just for the ATC Audio. Then I can run the cable straight to the pot, which as you say needs to be logarithmic.

Thanks Maurice,  :)

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Trevor Hale

All that Knowledge.....  Least your still using it Mau :) :huh:
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

sagrada737

Hi Guys.

Maurice...  I purchased a USB Sound Module.  Like you said, it comes up in FSX and can be selected for use with the Voice function.  I bought a small set of "powered speakers" with volume control.  It all works great, and now I can achieve a good balance of background aircraft rumble and voice out of FSX.  It's starting to sound like a real flight deck around here!

As far as tying in the volume control for Voice to an Audio Panel...  It would be easy to crack open and remove its pot and re-wire it to "where ever" you want.

As a side note:  It is interesting to see/experience the built-in interaction that FSX has when you are flying.  Sitting on the active Runway will hold other aircraft, and when you clear the runway, other aircraft are cleared onto the runway.  You know all this... but it's cool to a newbie.

I wonder if there is a way to have FSX recognize voice commands from a mic to prompt FSX?

Mike

sagrada737

Thanks for the link David.  I use Sim-Avionics,which requires their Sim-Avionics 737ng aircraft flight model, instead of the FSX Default 737 as required by FSCrew (according to their web site).

I wonder if FSCrew will work with Sim-Avionics?  Anyone have success with this configuration?

Mike

Maurice

Quote from: Joe Lavery on June 12, 2013, 10:13:52 AM
See, I knew you would have an idea that was simple, and "why didn't I think of that".  ::)

Joe.

Glad I could help. Me, on the other hand, I was too lazy to bother so I just velcro'd the little amp to the back of the pedestal and presto, instant audio panel.  :)
Not approved by Boeing but at least it did not catch fire  ;D

Maurice

KyleH

Quote from: sagrada737 on June 12, 2013, 01:37:04 PM
Thanks for the link David.  I use Sim-Avionics,which requires their Sim-Avionics 737ng aircraft flight model, instead of the FSX Default 737 as required by FSCrew (according to their web site).

I wonder if FSCrew will work with Sim-Avionics?  Anyone have success with this configuration?

Mike

The other option is Multi Crew Experience http://www.multicrewxp.com/
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate