Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 05:16:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
359 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 359
Total: 359

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Greetings and initial advice needed

Started by flyingdoctor, July 29, 2013, 02:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingdoctor

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to what is an amazing hobby, that being flight simulation, and taking it to a whole new level with a home cockpit.

I have been out of the simulation scene for about 5 years due to career but finally at a stage where I can get back into it. I have decided to embark on building a 737NG home cockpit.

I have spent the last two months doing lots of research. Where to start is a big challenge and I guess the best place to begin is determining the scope of the project. Well I want to make it as real as it gets and there is no absolute time limit. Due to the nature of my career I am moving about the country from time to time so the first thing in mind was to make the cockpit as transportable as possible.

I think starting with the MIP is an important first step - I will probably we going with the fly engravity desktop series and build it upon a stand. There are lots of other companies out there but I like the fact the engravity comes as a kit and is based in Europe (lower shipping costs and no import duty as within EU). I think the price/quality seems great too and when it comes to the MIP, this is something that needs to be just right. Anyone have any opinions on my choice?

Secondly my Computer hardware specs are currently outdated.  I have been looking around and will probably go for a three PC set up.

PC 1 will be for FSX and I am considering the following specs:
  -Intel Core i7 4770k 3.5ghz-3.9Ghz
  -Geforce GTx 770 2Gig overclocked
  -16 Gig DDR3 1333 (4x4)
  -Gigabyte 287 HD3
  -700W Xigmatek 80+ bronze
  -250gig SSD
  - Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
  - DVD RW 24x

PC2 - well this will be for avionics (Prosim)

Still undecided at this stage as to how powerful this computer will need to be. I am thinking to get two PC with same specs to Run Cpt and FO sides of prosim with the other modules shared between them. Would a lower end spec PC (such as an Intel i3) run Prosim ok? Or should i be aiming for i5 plus system?? I am really behind in computer technology and there are so many different set ups I am really stuck with what sorta spec the Avionics computer(s)??

Would be extremely grateful for any opinions /advice on what I have mentioned thus far...

Thanks to you all for the amazing forum - its an incredible ocean of knowledge and I look forward to hearing from you and sharing my build experiences as I go along :) Cheers

Ridgenj

My recommendation will be to stick with the two or three high end suppliers.
I changed four times because of greed but once you start low cost and realize how odd it looks, voila.... you will not settle for less.

If you can afford it, go for high end from the beginning
Cheers
Luis

flyingdoctor

Hi Luis! Thanks for your reply and you are probably right. Just wondering how hi spec the avionic computers will actually need to be.

Ridgenj

Quote from: flyingdoctor on August 01, 2013, 12:57:23 PM
Hi Luis! Thanks for your reply and you are probably right. Just wondering how hi spec the avionic computers will actually need to be.

Avionics under proSim737 are the easy part. Sometimes I use very low spec atom PC's and wonder, they run. The FMC is the most easier one when it comes to graphic power. For the Avionics you should use a medium spec
PC. The tricky part is when you want to beam to a circular screen. Right now I am using LCD's while waiting for my NAT Crea's 1080ST projectors. For projections I have three highest spec PC's with Titan cards. I use P3D and many add-ons that are very power hungry.

You can always start humble and the craziness starts later anyhow.
Cheers
Luis

Joe Lavery

3 Titan cards, running on i7 machines, obviously a wealthy man  8)

I'm running 3 x 24 inch LCDs on an AMD Radeon 7970. much more affordable (but I wish I could afford the Titans)  ;)

Cheers
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

rhysb

Just on your choice of the engravity desktop MIP. I have some of this and I would recommend it but if I was starting again I would go with the sim world set. Much better and cost is excellent

Simworld.pl
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Ridgenj

Joe, I wish I would be one, If so I would be flying and not building....LOL
I will retire in a few years an I want to have something to do and believe me, at that time I won't be able to afford anything.

I was too fast because now the new 7xx cards  are more affordable and they have a  performance close to the Titan.

Cheers
Luis

Ridgenj

Quote from: rhysb on August 01, 2013, 03:10:28 PM
Just on your choice of the engravity desktop MIP. I have some of this and I would recommend it but if I was starting again I would go with the sim world set. Much better and cost is excellent

Simworld.pl

Filip is a very nice guy and he has created high quality products.
I had also to choose and decided to get FDS MIP and the shell. It offers a more rounded solution for me. As I said before, many choices to made.
Cheers
Luis

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate