Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 03:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
555 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 583
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 555
Total: 555

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

SAN to SFO ATC exercise...

Started by sagrada737, July 29, 2013, 07:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Folks,

I have been doing some flying recently on PilotEdge with my FDS 737NG Sim Project.  Although my 737NG flight deck is still under construction, it has been a blessing to be able to spend time flying my Sim almost daily in an effort to  learn systems and procedures - lots to learn!  I also greatly enjoy the service provided by PilotEdge, as it has added an extra element of ATC realism to my sim flights that has truly made my Sim flights come alive.

In that regard, I thought I would share with you a short video of a flight I did today from KSAN to KSFO - my call sign is  CACTUS 5626. Since I'm fairly new to Sim buiding and flying the 737NG, this is all a great challenge to me, but it is one that I have come to enjoy as I continue climb the learning curve in 737NG operations combined with Sim building considerations.   

I want to acknowledge that lots of folks on this Forum have been a big help to me along the way - so a BIG thank you for all the constructive inputs that have helped me to get my Sim Project to where it is today.  Also, a big thanks to the folks at FDS for all their support for the products they sell.

Anyway, here is the video - enjoy the flight  :)

Mike

B737NG Sim - SAN SFO 1
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Garys

Awesome Mike, Thanks for sharing. Pilot edge is something that I have considered using for awhile now. After seeing this video I may just give it a try. Definitely adds to the realism.

Gary

Sam Llorca

Great video Mike, thank you!! keep up the good work. Awesome.

Trevor Hale

Watching things like this just gets me even more excited for worldflight :)

Great video, and thanks.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

737man

Hello,
Very nice...it seems so real and adds so much.  What system are you running?  I use prosim737
Is the program hard to add on?  Will it work with prosim737
Can u recommend a site selling the software etc?

Thank you...Great Job :)

sagrada737

Hello Folks,

I'm glad many of you enjoyed the ATC video.  The whole experience flying in the ATC system with PilotEdge has served to give new meaning to my Sim Project.   ...and by the way, I have no business affiliation with PilotEdge - I'm just an end user of their service.  But when a product or service is good, it make you want to share it with others.  I also enjoy using VATSIM when there are Controllers available.

Toward the end of the week, I will post a flight from KSFO to KLAX.  This is all great fun!

Now... It's back to working on my FDS Overhead kit.  I hope to be wiring up the Overhead by next week.  I will also be working on my Yoke/Rudder systems fairly soon - although I have gotten use to the MS ForceFeedback JoyStick up to this point :-)  I need to establish a better balance of building vs. flying.  One kind of feeds the other...

Lance,  to answer your question...   

PilotEdge is a paid service that allow you to Connect to their Server and use the ATC system just like in the real world.  It is easy to setup and use.  The connection module is similar to SquawkBox, but specific to PilotEdge.  Their web site explains all the details if you want more specific information.  Here is a link:  http://www.pilotedge.net/
They have a 30 day free trial if you want to test it.

I'm using FSX and Sim-Avionics in my Sim setup, but it will work with any flight software you are using - so ProSim737 should work just fine.  Give it a try - I think you will find it useful for your Sim experience.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

jskibo

Nice Mike!

I got my ATC workout Sunday.  Flew KMKG - KLOT - KSUS - KLOT - KMKG.  Weather was less than stellar for more than half the route, filed all IFR.  Too many folks trying to get VFR Following headed to OSH. Controllers were getting pissed off and airspace was all sorts of busy.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

dc8flightdeck

Thats a great video!  :) I love pilotedge. Its one of the best things to happen for flight simulation.

Justin

fsaviator

Great video Mike.  I've been thinking about PilotEdge, and this may have sold me.  One question...  it appeared that you had the same person sitting in the various controller seats.  Is that normal or was that just a fluke of scheduling on their part?

I guess it isn't a big deal but I would expect more for a paid service.  Just my thoughts, but I would think with the limited area available already, there would be more people working the various positions.

Thanks again,

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

sagrada737

Hi Guys - glad you enjoyed the video.

John - That does sound like a good IFR workout - glad you survived the trip  :)  Flying into Oshkosh can indeed be a bit hectic - especially when so many aircraft are on final approach- at the same time!

Justin - Good to hear of someone else's experience with PilotEdge.

Warren - Try PilotEdge's free trial for 30 days - nothing to lose!  You are right about the same Controller sometimes serving different sectors.  I don't find it a big deal, and I get different Controllers often enough to make it interesting.  The best part for me is Server access - 8am to 11pm PST, which allows me to get in the ATC system anytime I want - guaranteed - and that's a big plus.

Mike

fsaviator

Thanks Mike.  I think I will try the trial.

For me here in Germany it's basically 5PM through 8AM I think.  Works for me as I am at work the other 9 hours of the day, and then some :laugh:
Warren "FSAviator"
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Bob Reed

Finally got to watch this... Nice.....

Jon Boe

I think what I like about it the most is that you use the plates to look up and use the frequencies for the various functions.  No need to have an extra window open to see what, if any, controller is online with VATSIM, for instance.  So it is very much "real world".  They recently added KSFO back in which gives one another large airport for the heavy jets.  Finally, you are talking to someone who has experience which really helps, but can raise the "pucker" level if you aren't used to talking to a controller. :)

Jon
B737 MAX.  FDS DSDT.  205 degree U Screen, 3-projector system with P3D V4.5.  Sim-Avionics software.

coma24

Quote from: fsaviator on July 31, 2013, 10:41:11 AM
Great video Mike.  I've been thinking about PilotEdge, and this may have sold me.  One question...  it appeared that you had the same person sitting in the various controller seats.  Is that normal or was that just a fluke of scheduling on their part?

I guess it isn't a big deal but I would expect more for a paid service.  Just my thoughts, but I would think with the limited area available already, there would be more people working the various positions.
Thanks again,

Warren

It's a compromise. We have a small number of on duty controllers (usually 1 or 2, though it might grow in the future), but we utilize real world frequencies along the way. That means, by definition, that when you swap frequencies, you're likely to hear the same controller. The point, though, is to simulate the workload of having to find and enter frequencies during your flight. The fact that it's the same person, from a training/workload standpoint is not relevant. I know it's a little jarring from an entertainment perspective, but entertainment is not the primary goal of the network.

Here are the positions you'll dial for a typical flight from SAN to SFO on PilotEdge:
- SAN clearance 125.90
- SAN ground 123.90
- SAN tower 118.30
- Socal Departure (west) 119.60
- LA Center (Oceanside) 119.95
- LA Center (Avenal) 135.50
- Oakland Center (Salinas) 133.70
- Norcal Approach (Laguna) 127.15
- Norcal Approach (Boulder) 133.95
- Norcal Approach (Woodside) 135.65
- SFO Tower 120.50
- SFO Ground 121.80

That's 12 separate positions (which only services SAN and SFO, you'd have to add 2-3 freqs per airport you wanted to support, plus associated departure positions and possibly more enroute positions). Total cost to staff that would be around $45,000/month, not including recurrent training and scheduling overhead.

The moment we did it, a) we'd run out of money, and b) people would ask when we'd add the same coverage for LAS, LAX, ONT, SNA, LGB, the list goes on (there are 40 towered airports in our coverage area).

So, while having tons of voices would be nice, when it comes to guaranteed staffing (15x7), it's a non-starter.

Give it a try and you'll quickly see the pros of having guaranteed, high quality ATC on a schedule is a compelling proposition when you have an expensive home cockpit, versus the cons of a limited number of voices.

fsaviator

Thanks for the feedback Coma24.  All good points.  One controller is not an issue, I was just surprised as I hadn't really thought about it.  As a real world pilot I can appreciate what you are saying in regards to workload and you are 100% right, and as Jon Boe mentioned, nothing beats tuning a frequency from a plate and finding someone there.  Truthfully though, half the fun is trying to decipher what the controller said! ;D

I'll look into the trial over the next week or so.  I am in the building mood again and have some work to do on my sim, so maybe I can get in a flight this weekend.  Of course, that is the problem...  I start flying and end up getting out of a building mood and doing nothing but flying.  It really slows down finishing my pedestal.
Warren "FSAviator"

tbanana1

Nice, love your panel and sim. Great job, thanks for sharing!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate