Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 05:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
227 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 239
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Best Engine "Sounds" software for FSX?

Started by sagrada737, September 08, 2013, 05:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

The default FSX sounds are a bit dry.   

Wondering what others are using for 737 engine/systems  "sounds" with FSX?

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

markfire

rhysb

Yes I'm using the PMDG sounds copied into the jetstream model, the sounds that come with the PMDG panel that are used onl? by the PMDG panel I have copied into prosim and I have that triggering it

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

sagrada737

Thanks for the feedback guys.  That gives me a direction to move in.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

HarryZ

Quote from: markfire on September 08, 2013, 10:10:16 AM
Ian Sissons has some on his website. Free to download

http://www.737ng.co.uk/

I looked all over this site and couldn't find any 737 engine sound files....any idea where they are located?  Thanks...
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

sagrada737

I could not find any "737 sounds" download on Ian's site either.  However, I did find a fairly nice, (and cheap at around $6) 737 sounds package for FSX called:  ENGINE SOUND CREATIONS - 737NG CFM56-7B X SOUNDSET FSX
It is available from simMarket. 

Here is a link:
http://secure.simmarket.com/engine-sound-creations-737ng-cfm56-7b-x-soundset-fsx.phtml

I am using Sim-Avionics with their custom "Sim-Avionics 737" aircraft as the flight model.  I DO get some nice engine sounds, but the other sounds like Gear, Flaps, etc. are a bit muted.  I haven't spent enough time on this to do it justice, but for now, the engine sounds are a nice touch to my Sim Project.

I was hoping that others would chime in and let folks know what they are using for sounds, but it has been lean so far...  That said, I'm guessing that in a real 737NG there is not that much sound that is noticeable, except upon takeoff and landing - with all the associated vibration.  However, this is a bit like Hollywood, where we are trying to exceed the norm to create a sense of something.  In this regard, a well-positioned audio shaker device, eg. ButtKicker, AURA, others... could enhance the "sense of vibration/motion" in the cockpit for a Static/non-motion Sim setup.

This leaves to ask...   What is the best setup for sounds/audio vibration in a non-motion Sim?

Since the audio shaker devices are quite varied, and somewhat expensive - I'm hoping to get some feedback on this before I go off buying more stuff for my Sim Project.

Mike

HarryZ

Mike,

I use a Buttkicker to create vibration in my sim.  Have attached it to the Capt's seat and it has a wired remote control to adjust the level of vibration.

I have used various sound files over the past couple of years and find that in most cases, the sound they depict are not what you really hear in the real a/c. But like you said, simmers try and create "something" so most of these sound files are enhanced for dramatic effect.

There was one sound set that I used which really enhanced the Buttkicker with a lot of vibration during the take-off roll.  As soon as the wheels were off the runway, the vibration stopped which made it very realistic.  Somehow, during my experimentation with various sound sets a few months ago, I misplaced this set and be damned if I can find it now.

Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Maurice

Mike,

I tried the Buttkicker attached to the captain's seat a long time ago and I hated it because of the rattles that came from the Boeing seat.

A better solution would be an external amplifier connected to the Aura bass shaker mounted underneath the platform floor. In my case, I used the amplifier that came with the Buttkicker since I already had it but you could use other audio amplifiers instead. I gave both of them to my brother in law for his car racing game otherwise I could have sold them to you :)

The bass sounds came from the SimA software and were very convincing. You could feel the rumble on taxi & takeoff and it would stop after takeoff and come back after landing. You could also feel the landing gear movement.

As many have done, I used the PMDG sounds. I tried the Ariane sounds as well but I liked PMDG better keeping in mind that you will not hear all the PMDG sounds since some of them are encoded in the program and are not available as a WAV file

Here is the link to the Aura shaker.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-028

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

rhysb

Quote from: Maurice on September 11, 2013, 11:49:46 AM

As many have done, I used the PMDG sounds. I tried the Ariane sounds as well but I liked PMDG better keeping in mind that you will not hear all the PMDG sounds since some of them are encoded in the program and are not available as a WAV file
Maurice

They are all available they are just not within the sound folder themselves. The cockpit sounds etc are in the main FSX sound folder in a PMDG folder and also within the PMDG folders themselves.

I have taken these sounds and put them in the prosim sound module and have that trigger them dependant on the sim state. Thus you can get sound close to the PMDG aircraft and if you run the sounds through multiple sets of speakers it sounds awesome.

Mike, I'm pretty sure you can do this with the simvionics sound module too?

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Maurice

Quote from: rhysb on September 11, 2013, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: Maurice on September 11, 2013, 11:49:46 AM

They are all available they are just not within the sound folder themselves. The cockpit sounds etc are in the main FSX sound folder in a PMDG folder and also within the PMDG folders themselves.

Rhys b

Maybe but I'm not convinced. A long time ago, one of the PMDG developers came in this forum and confirmed some of the sounds were not accessible. When I was looking for them, I found many wav files that were listed in the sound.cfg file had a length of zero and therefore no sounds. I just replaced those particular sounds with the normal FSX sounds for those events.

Nevertheless, the sounds that are available make it worth it in my opinion.

Maurice

sagrada737

Maurice, Harry,

Thanks guys for the feedback.  I have been playing around with a variety of sound packages - SychroSoft and various Project Opensky sound sets.  Up to this point, I have simply replaced the "Sound directory" with some of the choices available.  They each seem to have some unique sounds.  Since this arena is highly subjective as far as what we think a "good sound" is, I'm guessing it is all a compromise.  I might try mixing some of the wav files to create a hybrid sound package.

In any case, it seems clear that the sound, to be effective, needs to be linked to some kind of physical vibration.  Up to this point, I have had my wife kick the side of the Sim each time the Landing Gear go up and down.  But she is on strike now, so I have to move on to another solution ;D

I really like the "guttural" sound for the engines that came with the Synchro-Soft-737NG SoundSet package for only $6.  It also has a nice dynamic of subtle engine sound changes for spool up and spool down.  In addition, minute throttle changes that take place in-flight are noticeable, but not overbearing - giving you a sense that something is happening with the aircraft.  This is great feedback for VNAV and LVL CHG activity in the flight deck as a way of reminding you of what is coming up next.

My only benchmark for engine sound is as a passenger on a 737, so I'm sure that what I find pleasing/accurate is very subjective.

I suspect that you are right about the ButtKicker being a problem when attached directly to the Seat.  I'm guessing that a single audio/bass shaker type of device is not enough to get the job done.  It may be best to have a more massive audio shaker attached to the flight deck base, and more localized "pucks" attached elsewhere, eg. seats, walls, etc. - and perhaps working at different preset frequency ranges.

In addition to all this, there seems to be a "fine-tuning" necessary for the Sound.cfg file to get the volume levels set correctly for each particular sound.  Something I guess I'll have to play with...

It looks from the specs, that the ButtKicker LFE might be a good choice, as it is more powerful and has a better response over the lower priced Aura Shaker.  I guess I will have to buy their LFE kit and give it a try.  As a side note...  It seems that proper mounting of these devices is critical for them to function properly.  That means isolation mounts, etc.  My guess is that just bolting the thing hard-mounted to a seat or platform will not give the optimum results.  Lots to learn....

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike

sagrada737

Thanks Rhys -  More good info on mixing/matching sound files.

Mike

Maurice

Quote from: sagrada737 on September 11, 2013, 01:10:23 PM

My guess is that just bolting the thing hard-mounted to a seat or platform will not give the optimum results.  Lots to learn....

Mike

Probably not the optimum result but it felt quite good to me :). But with your engineering skills, I'm sure your wife will be able to permanently retire from shell kicking duties  ;D

Maurice

HarryZ

Mike/Maurice,

Initially I had my Buttkicker attached directly to the seat but too much rattling.  I then got a
1 1/2 inch pipe of about 6", attached that to a flange and then screwed that into the wooden base platform I have my seat on. I clamped the BK on to that pipe and  that dampened the rattling and gave a more realistic vibration.

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Auro woofer and placing it under the sim platform Don't know if that will be too much or not.  Comments?

Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Jetcos

What I have been doing with Sim-A setups is the following:

1) Install Sim-A on the FSX PC

2) Install the Sound files

3) Remove all the files except for BASS (in that folder are enhanced bass sounds)

4) I "X" out the GPWS (5) and Markers (OM,MM & IM etc)  files in FSX

5) Only run the Sound module and TCP Client

We use these files with the transducers we install and they work great. Even with a good Sub Woofer you notice a difference. Mark has reworked them.

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

XOrionFE

I use a pair of aura bass shakers attached to the platform.  One just behind each seat underneath and attached sideways to the floor joists.  Works great.  They are attached to a dedicated amp which in turn is connected to the subwoofer out of the surround stereo system.

Scott

markfire

Sorry you couldn't find the sounds on Ian's site, maybe he's had a tidy up : )

I was only referring to the system sounds.

I use NG sounds as Rhys describes.

jackpilot

One aspect to refine is the wind sound at cruise because basically it is the only one you hear at speed and altitude in an otherwise quiet cockpit.. Best installed on one of the PC so that you get it from separate speakers located in front. Usually proportional to speed.
Another nice one is the spoilers buffet wich can activate the buttkicker.
:2cw:

Jack

mickc

On the subject of cabin sounds
I run Accu-feel II, which adds environment sounds, as well as flight physics

This is absolutely awesome.  It gives you a huge range of fully adjustable parameters to change, even brake squeal, cockpit integrity (rattles and bumps) wind noise is perfect, it even adds pre-stall buffeting to the mix!

This would be the best sound Add-on I have ever used.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=55

sagrada737

Thanks again guys for all the constructive feedback on the Sound/Audio Shaker issues.  It has been helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

Up to this point, I have tested a few Sound packages and hybrid variants.  What I have found to be the most interesting and pleasing for 737 sounds has been the PMDG sounds and Mick's suggestion tor the a2asimulations Accu-Feel sounds package.  Actually, I like the flexibility offered by Accu-Feel with its GUI built into FSX.  I will post a short video on what I came up with soon.

In the meantime, I will decide on a audio shaker selection.  But before I do, I will need to construct my Flight Deck Platform.  I'm tired of flying my MIP on the concrete anyway ;D

Anyway, thanks for the good info on this topic.

Mike

Maurice

Quote from: mickc on September 12, 2013, 02:27:44 PM

This would be the best sound Add-on I have ever used.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=55

Just watched their demo video. Looks quite impressive. Another item in my growing shopping list  ::):)

Thanks,
Maurice

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate