Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:58:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
353 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 492
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 353
Total: 353

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

ActiveSky Next - FSUIPC Update...

Started by sagrada737, December 11, 2013, 06:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Guys,   FYI

I joined the flow and upgraded my ActiveSky 2012 to ActiveSky Next.  Active Sky Next is indeed an improvement, most notably in the area of cloud/weather transitions, where it performs very smoothly.  The GUI is somewhat different than AS 2012, and I think it is easier to navigate and setup.  Also, it is suppose to make it easier to exchange info from PXPX.  From what I can tell on the visuals, AS Next is a significant improvement over AS2012.  Real-time weather never looked better.

However, it wasn't long after installing ASNext, that I started to notice some "glitches" in FSX that caused it to crash some functionality of the flight model.

Anyway... In talking with a friend this evening, he mentioned that there is an update to FSUIPC4...  Now version 4.923 on the schiratti web site.

But...   there is a further update not shown on schiratti: FSUIPC4 version 4.924a
Here is the link with more details:
http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

I am testing this now, and it seems to be performing correctly with ActiveSky Next.  So far, with only a few flights, the glitches seem to be gone.  Not conclusive yet, but perhaps important info for those who have upgraded to AS Next.

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

rhysb

Quote from: sagrada737 on December 11, 2013, 06:21:47 PM

But...   there is a further update not shown on schiratti: FSUIPC4 version 3.924a
Here is the link with more details:
http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

I am testing this now, and it seems to be performing correctly with ActiveSky Next.  So far, with only a few flights, the glitches seem to be gone.  Not conclusive yet, but perhaps important info for those who have upgraded to AS Next.

Mike

Mike, fsuipc v3.** is for FS9 I wouldn't suggest using this with FSX. It shouldn't do anything at all.

Thanks for the info on active sky though. The transitions was something that always let both active sky and REX down historically.

Thanks

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

sagrada737

Sorry for the typo Rhys...   I corrected the post.

The new version of FSUIPC4 for FSX that the link reflects is version 4.924a which considers improvements with ActiveSky Next.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

archen

Anyone tested this new software against opus? Which one is the better?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

sagrada737

After installing ActiveSky2012, life was good.  Then I was tempted to upgrade to ActiveSky Next.  It wasn't long before issues started with FSX and my flight model.  Then came the notice from ActiveSky (very responsible effort) that a different version of FSUIPC was needed to keep FSX from crashing - so I installed FSUIPC version 4.926.  This helped somewhat, but ever other flight or so, I still get crashed (only on the ground after a flight) in FSX.

I have adjusted many of the settings within ASNext, eg. reduce wind turbulence, etc, and those have been somewhat successful in keeping FSX alive.

I'm not bad-mouthing ActiveSky Next, but looking for direction as to why FSX is now starting to crash.  BTW - I am running Win7 DirectX 11.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? 

Mike

rhysb

Mike,

I went through the same thing with FSX crashing on the ground just after a completed flight before I moved to xplane.

It's an OOM error in my case, landing at the destination airport causes reloading or something as I downloaded a program (recommendation from froogle) showing the memory usage and it was FSX running out of memory.

Now you have a new big weather program operating within FSX too it may be the cause?
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

sagrada737

That's an excellent comment Rhys.   I considered this as a potential problem, but it is difficult to say how FSX is getting "clogged" by other applications, such as ActiveSky Next.

When you consider how ActiveSky Next is making its "smooth" transitions in displaying weather (very impressive performance), it could also mean that it is using memory that FSX needs to do its thing.  This is not typically a problem in-flight, but when you come in for a landing, I think that the algorithms used by ActiveSky Next have a lot to do in a relative short period of time, while FSX is trying to get its activity organized as well.  This may be why I am now seeing more "jerks and blotches" in the display while Approach to landing - especially with hi-res airport scenery.

Also, if you turn the "Sliders" UP in FSX, I have experienced ActiveSky Next crashing the FSX display, as if its all too much for the FSX computer to handle.  I am now testing various settings of Sliders to see if I can eliminate the periodic FSX crashes on landing.  Turbulence settings in ActiveSky Next may also be a big factor in hogging processing power.

I'm also considering adding more, and faster RAM to my FSX computer.  I'm currently using 32 Gb Platinum DDR3 2133 Mhz RAM.  Not sure if I can improve on this, or if it would be of any help.  I could also try to further over-clock the FSX computer, but I am already at its "safe temperature limits".

Anyone have ideas how to eliminate these FSX crashes?  It's a bad day in Red Rock when the Sim crashes - makes one want to take up knitting or something more passive  ;D

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate