Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
165 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New Cockpit Builder - Project Changes

Started by DC9legacy, July 16, 2017, 06:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC9legacy

So I have been working for a while on a DC-9-32 for Air Canada.  Has been about 6 years of collecting parts and just missing a few pieces needed to make the structure.  However, I stumbled in on an opportunity that I couldn't pass up.  As a result, I'm almost certainly going to be doing two separate cockpit projects.  The first is a DC-9-31 (Eastern Airlines), and the second is a 727-25 (also Eastern Airlines).

The DC-9-31 has all the flight instrumentation except the overhead (I've found almost all of the remaining overhead pieces, so I'd basically swap out the Air Canada pieces for the EAL).  It would have the main instrument panels, panel framework, glareshield, throttle quadrant, pedestal (complete).  I bought the circuit breakers before, and a friend of mine bought the seats and is going to forward them once he gets his MD-80 seats.  I've already got a DC-9 overhead panel which is VERY close to EAL layout, and have located over 2/3 of the unique pieces needed to complete the overhead, and already have rails/flooring/quadrants/etc. 

The 727 has the main instrument panel, glareshield, throttle quadrant, aft pedestal (complete), pilot/first officer seats, control columns, and both sets of circuit breakers.  I'd need the SO station and seat, jump seat, and structures. 

I'll be posting things when I can, but will definitely be reaching out to the community at large to help locate some of these pieces and grasp the situation that I have just walked headlong into.  lol.
v/r,
Jon

kurt-olsson

OEM projects!!! I will follow them closely! :)

navymustang

I may have DC-9 seats in my warehouse. Send me a pic of what they look like. I may even have a jump seat.

PM me.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

jackpilot

The jump seat in the DC9 was a real story  for those who remember  :D
Smack in the door and once seated after many contortions you just hoped that none of the guys would need to go for a leak!!

Jack

DC9legacy

I don't doubt it.  I'm not a pilot, but I definitely am amazed by how incredibly tight the cockpits are.  Part of my attraction to the Douglas lineage was flying on MD-80s and DC-9s growing up.  I never realized it until recently, but the sounds of the JT8Ds were my favorite noise ever and I used to request about 3/4 of the way back so I would be closer to it.  Flew on quite a few 727s, but even then never realized the attraction to the engine sound.  I'm very excited to see how it all comes out!!

If anyone has any Eastern Airlines DC-9 or 727 materials too, I'd be very grateful.
v/r,
Jon

pcpilotmd80

Jon nice to have another DC-9 builder!  I have the same P&W JT8D addiction! Best engine sound ever! Not much help with DC-9 overhead panel..lots of YouTube lol.  I made my own..not as authentic but it's what I can afford and I love it!
Good luck Brother!
Mike

DC9legacy

If you decide you want a bunch of DC-9-32 pieces (Air Canada), let me know.  I'll be swapping the AC DC-9-32 for an Eastern DC-9-31....and am realizing that John (blueskydriver) is a bad influence.  lol.  Now I'm trying to find out how to let my wife know that we are VERY likely to have a 727 coming unless she exercises veto power.

At which point, I will sit in the corner indian style, and hold my breath until she comes around.  LOL.  Or more likely, I'll just choose the version that will work best for me and not force me to sleep in the new cockpit (although I'll do it!).
v/r,
Jon

blueskydriver

Hi Jon,

You're so right about me! Are you sure you want too visit?...lol???? As for your wife, bring her with and I will call Karen too see if she can come home early...that way if I don't help "convince" (bad influence...lol...) your wife, Karen can use the woman to woman approach.

As for sleeping in your cockpit, plan on doing that at least once because you fell asleep in it after working all night on just one thing...like trying to find one wire that you cannot figure out why it's causing 20 other problems. Oh yeah, those things happen and I am sure a lot of the other members have done it at one point or another.

Lastly, I did some background reading about the DC9 family that included the MD-80, MD-90 and the Boeing 717. I was surprised by the modern B717 as it includes a MIP pretty much like a B737NG, but it has 6 screens across. It also has a throttle assy that resembles what Jackpilot was talking about just a while back, with those big new cutoff switches.

Knowing this, I thought about other members that are looking for something to build, without it being a B737NG. IMHO, the B717 would be perfect because of the MIP make up and how it would'nt be that difficult to have it made by one of the sim companies. Basically, it's a B737NG MIP, but just smaller. The other aspects of the B717 is it can use short runways and is designed for regional service, so that means short flight times, pretty much like a GA service hop.

Thanks for posting about your aircraft choices, it certainly helps others too look at different ideas...it did me anyway. ????

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate