Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 01:37:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
559 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 559
Total: 559

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Real Collins ADI possible to interface?

Started by 727s4ever!, September 29, 2018, 01:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

727s4ever!

Hi everyone!  So, I'm trying to decide if I should interface real instruments for my 727 build or just go with monitors behind the MIP.  Has anyone been successful in interfacing a Collins ADI such as is found here?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADI-Indicator-Flight-Director/183449628182?epid=1953683399&hash=item2ab6732e16:g:7~EAAOSwkkNbJVnM

If this is possible then I am leaning toward this as I really love the old steam gauges!! Thanks!

-Woody
Blue skies, smooth rides-

KyleH

Hi Woody,

You need to talk to Rob Archer (727737Nut). He built a 737-300 with real gauges and x-plane.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

mickc

Definitely doable, and as Kyle said: Rob A is the resident expert for the older steam stuff.

I will say that you can pick one of those up much cheaper than the one you posted, so do a bit of shopping around. 
There are also some great Facebook groups for used instruments and cockpit parts, its amazing what shows up in them from time to time !

_alioth_

Doable.

There are two ways to achieve it:

- ARINC cards to comunicate to instrument. So you don't need to modify them. I know nothing about this, but I think is expensive, and not very easy.

- Mod the instrument, and interface it with arduino/teensy... or similar. Cheaper, but not very easy neither. And you will kill the original gauge state, so only for people whose religion allows it .
I have fully interfaced a real bendix king HSI 525a + slave switch ka51b, and an RMI in this way. Now I am interfacing a real collins hsi 331a. You have to play with synchros (or change them with absolute encoders), d'arsonvals, pots, dc motors.. etc  Each gauge is like a new adventure. You don't need a lot of money, but you really need some skills and A LOT of time.

Arturo.

blueskydriver

Or, just have guys like Arturo vacation at your house for a week or two and do the gauge for you! And Woody, since you're a pilot, could you get discount airline tickets? Plus, I am sure he would love a free trip to the USA!!!  :idiot

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

727s4ever!

Thanks for all the replies!  I posted that eBay listing just as a reference for the type of ADI that I was interested in using.  Thankfully, I was able to find one much cheaper!  It is good to know that it is possible, so I think I will go the steam gauge route!  Of course I know this will mean added expense, time and complication to the project but I really want to see those old instruments working again.  That is just too cool!

-Woody
Blue skies, smooth rides-

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate