Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
121 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 121
Total: 121

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Alaska Airlines N512AS 737-800

Started by Flyboyandre, April 22, 2012, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyboyandre

Well, just shortly after finishing my first simpit I found myself with itchy fingers and wondered what to do next. Little did my wife know when she said "wouldnt it be cool if people looked at the nose of a plane when opening the garage door? As you all know from my previous project, i like it when people challenge me so off we go.
I was very surprised when I got no reaction to the building plans as I showed it to her. Off we went to Home Depot and here we go.
Of course she wasnt quite as quiet when she walked in on the footprint construction, hinting that I could live in there. Daughter is excited as she now can sit in the first officer's seat.
The build will be modular so transport will be very doable. Maybe I will take the 30 minute road trip to the 737 plant in Renton when all done?
Alright, need some help.......what livery should we paint it in?

My old simpit will get a proper burial. Actually kind of sad to shut it down after all of the work i put i
Put into it. Here is a picture taken as late as last week.
nto it.

Trevor Hale

Andre, I applaud you.  its a big undertaking to change midstream like that with your design.  I am sure it is going to look fantastic. 

Good luck and I bet your wife bites her tongue next time LOL.

Show us some more progress when you get there.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Flyboyandre

Painfully slow progress through day 2 since it takes time to get these arches right.

FredK

This hobby is all about the "quest".  I think I have spent about 98% of my time building and 2% flying over the past decade. It seems that once you are there you are soon looking for the next hill to climb. I have just pretty well completed my full scale dual seat 737 cockpit, and although I am back to flying and enjoying it all I'm getting a little itchy about the fact there is little more to do.  Sort of like post-partem blues I guess.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jackpilot

Not sure about that,
Building is adictive, I agree, but FLYING is the essence of it
On my previous Sim , I went for a circumnavigation, ..and it still is on my mind,
Arriving at dawn on the Azores after a Transatlantic , real time, and then....Europe, Middle East, China , Japan...and back.. this is what a sim is all about.
New sim not yet flyable, but this is the ultimate goal
my 2¢ ayway

Jack

blueskydriver

Fred are you married? Get your wife into an F16 like mine. So, you get the best of three worlds; you get to fly your B737, you'll get to help her build the F16 and that is going to solve your need to build, and all the while, you'll have her very happy because you'll actually be spending more time with her and not be all to yourself anymore...

Hey Andre, your projecting is looking awesome. However, I admire your daughter even more. Girls are so cute at that age; my 21 year old daughter was just as cute as yours at that age. It was the funniest times when she was 7-11, much like your daughter appears to be. Do whatever you can to keep her a part of the simulator building.

My daughter is now married and with her two year old daughter (my grand-daughter), who is growing up fast, will soon be at that age before I know it. So, I miss the times with my daughter, but I'll have the grand-daughter to share the sim with all over again. Although, the sim was quite crude when my daughter flew it...she'd say "Dad this is so cool being made from poster board, car seats and scrap plywood!"

In other words, enjoy every moment with your kids while doing your sim, because you'll want them to someday tell their kids about all the adventures with "Dear Old Dad".

Keep up the great work and posting the photos.

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

Know what U mean J.
Just a while ago I was teaching Xwind landings to my daughter in a C-150 and today she's FO in a 777.
Time flies faster than our Sims!!

Jack

Flyboyandre

Quote from: jackpilot on April 23, 2012, 05:44:29 PM
Know what U mean J.
Just a while ago I was teaching Xwind landings to my daughter in a C-150 and today she's FO in a 777.
Time flies faster than our Sims!!

Now THAT is cool! Somehow I just don't know if I want my daughter behind the yoke with me onboard. I shot these 2 pics of her in my rookie sim last week. She walked into the sim, said "daddy please get the plane up in the air so I can fly to Australia". Well I did and she contently took over the yoke. She did pretty well for manual flight, except it looked more like an oval racetrack. Although she spent 30 minutes flying, it was all a big right turn :)
Yeah, I know the sim isn't as nice as some of yours but I'm proud to say that most of the stuff is Made from scratch.

Trevor Hale

Andre, don't say stuff like that.  Your project is incredible and you have done a fantastic Job building it.  Watching your kids share the love for flight in one way or another is an incredible thing.  You must be a Proud dad when you see things like that.

Great stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

Ditto...
Most "rookie" Sims we built were not even that sophisticated!!!
Take time for your new build and ask questions as we all gain experience through each build and are more than happy to share it.

(Recent example, and this is my 3rd sim !, do not twist wires, bundle them! Well I twisted them, no big deal but next sim I wont!! :laugh:)
Cheers
Jack

Jack

hexpope

It's great to see the family all join in and have fun. You must be a proud husband and father. I have a little girl too, but all she would do if I let her near anything is tear it to pieces and smash whatever she can to make some sort of noise. (1 1/2yrs) But that day will come for me too !

Good luck with the nose of the cockpit. I hate timber and arc's.

Cool story too Jack!

Flyboyandre

A step is better than none, right?

jackpilot

Jack

Flyboyandre

Flyboyandre

Working into the evening hours. Hoping to have most of the window frame done tomorrow night.

geneb

I just noticed the "KIA of Puyallup" on your license plate bracket.

If you're local to Puyallup, I suspect I can make your life a LOT easier during your build. :)

There's nothing worse in this world than a ShopBot, sitting idle just twiddling it's little stepper motors away. :)  I'm in Graham.  Throw me a PM. :D

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Flyboyandre

Finished the base frame tonight which will be one of 4 total modules in this project.

geneb

After getting a chance to see the end goal, I would have recommended using a 2x4 or 2x6 frame.  Doing that could have really cut down on the weight and material cost.

Great job regardless!

BTW, tell your wife it's ok with ME if you get a custom license plate. *laughs*

g.

jetpilot

Andre,
It looks awsome.
I want to ask you: where do you get the mesurements to make the cockpit? I am aware of the FDS old cockpit but I have not seen the mesurements anywere.
Thanks
Roberto C

Flyboyandre

it was cool to meet up Gene and i look forward to future "geek" moments.
The reason for the 2x8's is to give enough clearance for yoke/rudder mechanism. Using 2x4's or 2x6's would make me a bit nervous with regards to working space.

Jetpilot, i used a mix of things to get the dimensions laid out. I agree there isn't much out there any more so I had to use dimensions I found online to aide me during the arch measurements and cutting

Flyboyandre

I was very determined to getting the rough build of the shell finished today but had to call it a night in order to avoid pissing off my neighbors :)
The shell is starting to take shape but wholly molly this project is a bit bigger than i anticipated :)

Efe

There are some files floating around as well as some websites for measurements. If all else fails, let me know and I'll take a laser measurement next time I'm at our LevelD sim.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: Efe on April 29, 2012, 10:36:36 PM
There are some files floating around as well as some websites for measurements. If all else fails, let me know and I'll take a laser measurement next time I'm at our LevelD sim.

Thanks friend!
I think i'm good to go as ive studied, checked and double checked the plans i have :)

geneb

Very nice!

Tell the neighbors to quit complaining or they're on the test target list when you get around to building your disintegrator ray. :)

g.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: geneb on April 30, 2012, 06:41:49 AM
Very nice!

Tell the neighbors to quit complaining or they're on the test target list when you get around to building your disintegrator ray. :)

g.

Lmao

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate