Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:23:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
211 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 211
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 211
Total: 211

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

For those of you who want to use real plane clocks.

Started by 727737Nut, May 21, 2011, 06:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

727737Nut

After some research and trials and curse words, i have figured out a cheap way to drive a real clock from Boeing aircraft! They need a pulse input to work in the real plane as this keeps them accurate and synchronized. The cool thing about this adapter i built is it works one of two ways. Depending on if you have the pin-out of the clock you have or not. If you don't, it gets more complicated and slightly more expensive. By using a cheap 555 timer chip, 2 resistors, and a capacitor, you can input the proper pulse in to the clock for it to keep time! In my case, i didn't have the pin-out sooo, i bought a stepper motor driver from pololu.com for 19.95. My little cheap pulse generator signals the stepper driver which in turn drives the clock stepper motor. Presto! Real Boeing clock fully functioning. Just thought i would share that info with my fellow builders as you all have helped me so much in the past, present, and future!

Happy Flying!
Rob
737 Junkie

Nat Crea

Talk about timing!

I just bought the same clocks as you Rob...havent recieved yet but am thinking ahead already.

If I just want to get the chrono needle working, is it just a matter of applying the right voltage to the right pin? Eg is the chrono "mechanical" or does it need a pulse signal as well?

Sorry for bombarding you  ???

Nat

727737Nut

It needs a pulse signal as well.  You need to find a pin-out or you will have to do what i did.  I emailed two different companies with no reply.  Maybe you will have better luck?
Let me know.

Rob
737 Junkie

Nat Crea

Thanks Rob

Ill give it a crack as they say.
Have a feeling I'll fall back on your good work :)

Nat

Nat Crea

Hi Rob,

I recieved my two clocks. They look Identical but made by different companies.
Got the backlighting pins easy enough...but thats it.

In your mod, did you modify or the internals? I'd be happy just to get the chrono needle
going, but I need more help with your circuit...like ALOT :)

Thanks,

Nat

Flying_Fox

Hi guys,

Could you share wher did you get those Boeing clocks? I am interested too.

Thanks,
Nick

Nat Crea

Nick,

Just search Ebay Motors every now and then.
After I bloody bought mine, there was a real cheap one!

Nat

jackpilot

I check diligently...will tip you as soon as I see one
Jack

Jack

727737Nut

Quote from: melnato on June 09, 2011, 04:25:05 AM
Hi Rob,

I recieved my two clocks. They look Identical but made by different companies.
Got the backlighting pins easy enough...but thats it.

In your mod, did you modify or the internals? I'd be happy just to get the chrono needle
going, but I need more help with your circuit...like ALOT :)

Thanks,

Nat

Nat,
Unfortunately without a pin-out for the connectors on your clock you most likely will have to get inside and go the route I went.  See if you can obtain some schematics first. If not, we shall proceed to duplicate what I did.

Rob
737 Junkie

Nat Crea

Thanks Rob!

I had a peek inside....turned white and closed it up :o

I'll dig around...

Nat

jackpilot

Nat
If you are satisfied with the chrono you can get the guts out of it and install a $5.00 quartz movement.

Jack

727737Nut

Quote from: jackpilot on June 10, 2011, 03:35:42 AM
Nat
If you are satisfied with the chrono you can get the guts out of it and install a $5.00 quartz movement.

No offense Jack but if he is capable of gutting it and mounting a clock inside then surely he is capable of cutting 4 wires and hooking it up to a stepper driver board!! LOL  It is very easy to drive these clocks, even easier if we could get a pin-out.

Rob
737 Junkie

jackpilot

Was just jokin!

But you know Rob to some of us, what you suggest is chinese. what about some drawing, explanation, picture of those strange items....
Hey, we cant be good at everything...almost  :D

Jack

727737Nut

Quote from: jackpilot on June 10, 2011, 10:13:29 AM
Was just jokin!

But you know Rob to some of us, what you suggest is chinese. what about some drawing, explanation, picture of those strange items....
Hey, we cant be good at everything...almost  :D

Just so happens that my back lighting went out on the clock so i need to pull it for maintenance. While I have it out I spell it out with pictures and diagrams.  :)

Rob
737 Junkie

kondrat

Boeing 777-200LR project
http://www.flikr.com/project777

Nat Crea

Thanks Rob.
Cutting four wires is no problem. I have a full set of real  OH and MIP indicators
running now. Some with no mods, others with servo replacement...im well prepared :)

(Yeah Jack...rip the guts out!....You have no heart! :) )

Nat

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate