Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 08:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
726 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 748
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 726
Total: 726

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Mitsubishi EW230U-ST feedback?

Started by Sean, July 08, 2012, 11:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I know of 3 members here that use these projectors. As I'm about to splash out on 3 of them, I'd appreciate any comments that might affect my decision.

I think they have been on the market for a while, and are possibly not manufactured any more, as they are getting harder to find (in the UK), but I haven't found a similar model in this price range.

The killer feature for me is the 0.5:1 throw ratio.

Any other projector advice welcome.

SN

blueskydriver

Sean,

I'm one of the three and I am very happy with the Mits. Scott recommended them too me and I am glad I went that way. I used them for 1800 hours in the first year without fail. However, I had a problem later with two of them due to stuck pixels. On one it was just a single pixel, the other had about 100. It all happened on the same day...

Still, Mitshubishi replaced them both in 24 hours and they paid all fees. I was worried about the replacements, but they were both brand new. So, I purchased a new bulb for the third unit to keep the projectors evenly lit. Thus, the service they offer is amazing, and the units come with a 3 year warranty.

All the listed features are perfect. I also like that they have a HDMI connector and are capable of the 16x10, as well as the network port to control them via a browser. No need for remotes, even though you get a remote in each box. I can say I don't like the fact they do not include a zoom knob, but that cost a great deal more.

IMHO, go with Mits or Ben-Qs as those two units seem to be within the price range of the homebuilder, giving the "best bang for the buck", and both brands are common amongst the builders here, so they've earned a place in our sim worlds.. Although, I have too admit the Ben-Qs are hard to get like the Mits...then again, us sim builders have been buying them up!

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Sean

Thanks John.

Do you have a curved screen? If so, what's its radius?

SN

blueskydriver

Sean,

The Radius is 8ft, with a Diameter of 16ft across and full Circumference (Perimeter) of 50.265472ft. Although, I did not do the full Circumference (Perimeter), I did 37ft of it and 36ft is actual white screen surface and another 1ft for the black border that has the gromments for the bungees to attach every 6 inches. The total height of the screen is 9ft with 8ft white screen and the remaining 1ft for the border and gromments again.

You will not actually need this much for an 8ft Radius, the 3  projectors will cover about 7.5ft in the vertical height of the white screen, and they will cover about 34ft of the horizontal Circumference (Perimeter). In other words, you could shorten the height and length of the screen by that much, and then you would have no unused white screen showing. However, if you do this and later you need to make adjustments or you have projectors with a zoom in/out that allows changing the overall dimensions of the projected image to be larger, you would want that extra white space. Too me, having extra is better than not enough...

You can buy a really good screen from the guy in Wisconsin I posted about in the past. I got that 9ft x 37ft for a little over $400 US, and that included the border, the bungees, and shipping. Forget about all the screen material details like resolution and contrast, that would cost $2,000 to $4,000 for a custom screen this big, if not costing more than that! This screen I got is just as good, as well as nice and white. It is amazing!

Funny thing is, no one has ordered from him except me. He usually makes these screens for outside projection type shows, like conferences or concerts. He makes these large screens so often, that his cost is low because of the bulk he deals with. So, that is why the prices are lower...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Sean

John

Great info, but where's the catch?  :o

A screen that big, and that good, for 400 bucks! Wow!

Seriously, I've just quickly read your post from November last year and am still digesting all the info you gave. I'm seriously considering this option, but a load of questions are springing to mind that I'm hoping I can bounce in your direction.

Let me read the thread properly with calculator and sketchpad in hand and I'll be back!

In the meantime, do you have any more pics on here that I could look at?

Sean

N737AG

John

This looks like a promising path to follow. I would also appreciate a lot if you could post more pictures, not only from the front of the screen, but also from the rear.

Thanks a lot

Axel

Nat Crea

Im running the previous model Mitsubishi's (same specs as EW-230) and love them.
Nice colours and contrast.

Nat

blueskydriver

Hey Guys,

Sorry didn't reply sooner, but Karen and I have been working outside a lot. Even with 98 degree heat she is out cutting down 100 ft trees in our backyard. It was so hot I started feeling sick, like from overheating!

Anyway, I am staying in the AC all day tomorrow and Tuesday, so I will get the photos and details posted then...

BSD

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate