Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 02:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
724 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 726
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 724
Total: 724

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Rapidly reaching the end of my rope...again (revised again)

Started by Maurice, November 17, 2012, 12:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

I thought my problem had been resolved but it is back and worse than before

I just need to tie a knot and I'll be swinging and boy, does this sound appealing just about now (just kidding for those who do not know me enough).  ;)

After spending weeks re-building my sim almost from scratch, I was just finishing the last connections and eagerly anticipating the results.

First, I had moved my projectors higher up and re-aligned everything and all looked good. So, I left the FSX computer alone as I completed the re-wiring of the sim. When almost done, I started powering up all the other computers & everything looked good with just a few minor easily fixed issues.

And this is when everything went South in a hurry (I blame the American election for that ;D . I attempted to power up my FSX computer which had not been touched since the warping alignment and it would not power up at all. Keeping in mind I had recently replaced the motherboard, CPU and graphic card, I was less than amused to put it mildly.

After cursing profusely, I opened the case and within an hour or so, I discovered that a stupid little connector that goes from the front panel to the motherboard had fallen off the motherboard. Why? I have no idea. After plugging back the connector, the computer powered up and booted normally. BIG sigh of relief until ....

I noticed that the computer would not connect to the network. Minor issue I thought since I had also replaced the Ethernet switch with an old one with more ports and I thought that the switch may be defective. But all the other computers were connecting so that was not the issue nor was it a defective Ethernet cable.

So, basically, it looks like my motherboard has bought the farm again as I do not even get a light near the Ethernet port when I connect the cable. I'm pretty sure it is the board and not the CPU since the system does boot & work normally minus network connection.

Out of desperation, I restored a backup image I had created just before the teardown in case the network drivers got corrupted somehow but of course that did not help...still no network connection.

So, that's where I am now, all 'dressed up' and nowhere to fly to. I'm not superstitious nor am I a believer in anything supernatural but I'm beginning to think the flight simulation gods are determined to ground me forever and they may well get their way. In all my years working with PCs, I have never ever seen a bad motherboard Ethernet connection.

Rather than replace the motherboard once again, I am going to buy an Ethernet card and see if that helps before I return the mother f.....g board to ASUS.

Ranting over, now going to sip a bubbly Diet Coke and forget about this for a while. I would make an offering to the simulation gods but I have no idea what turns them on.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

XOrionFE

Oh brother...

You have some of the worst luck!    Well, I planned to work on my sim all day and finally just got going then found out I need some longer screws for a part....off to the hardware store....so much for getting a lot done today :-(

Good luck Maurice.   Try some rum with that diet coke....takes the edge off :-)

Scott

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on November 17, 2012, 12:58:47 PM

Good luck Maurice.   Try some rum with that diet coke....takes the edge off :-)

Scott

I think I might move to Colorado instead. I hear they are very liberal about mind enhancing substances and I could really use some now  ;D

Maurice

Maurice

Well, what do you know. I went into the BIOS and disabled everything connected to the network, restarted , and re-enabled everything and the network is back.

I think I will definitely find something to offer to the flight simulation gods  ;D

Maurice

Nat Crea

Mau,

Have a customer who also has been having grief with their ASUS on board network
controller....coincidence?
He cant turn off one computer because of it...has to be left on 24/7...
Im a Gigabyte man  :D

Nat

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on November 17, 2012, 04:34:04 PM
Mau,

Have a customer who also has been having grief with their ASUS on board network
controller....coincidence?
He cant turn off one computer because of it...has to be left on 24/7...
Im a Gigabyte man  :D

Nat

I will agree now after 2 bad experiences with ASUS boards. And strangely enough, I can't also turn one computer off from SimA but I can turn it off via VNC viewer.

Anyway, I thought I was out of the woods but now my F.O. EFIS is not responding. Could be a cable got loose since I did disconnect everything at some point and this is the old style MCP with all these ribbon cables  ::). Will try again tomorrow.

Maurice

Maurice

The network connection problem has returned today (was working last night) and this time, I cannot even find any mention of an Ethernet controller in the BIOS, so I cannot disable or enable it like I did yesterday.

I updated the BIOS and I still cannot see any mention of a LAN controller. Looks like this motherboard is definitely foobar.   :'(

Maurice

fordgt40

Hi Maurice

Just one thought, have you tried resetting the Cmos values by shorting out the jumper pin?

Good luck

David

Maurice

Quote from: fordgt40 on November 18, 2012, 11:02:49 AM
Hi Maurice

Just one thought, have you tried resetting the Cmos values by shorting out the jumper pin?

Good luck

David

Hi David,

Yes I did try resetting the CMOS. But there is something new here. Yesterday, I could not see the LAN setting in the BIOS until I moved the FSX PC to a troubleshooting bench.

This morning, after I powered up the PC and no network, I moved the FSX PC back to the troubleshooting bench and lo & behold, I could again see the LAN setting in the BIOS and I disabled & re-enabled the LAN setting (like I did yesterday) and I can now see the network again  :o

Now, there is nothing special about the bench except that the network cable runs to a different ethernet switch. But that should make absolutely no difference to the BIOS. In fact, with the PC powered off, I still see the light beside the Ethernet jack at the back of the PC so the BIOS has nothing to do with lighting up that light.

So why does it work on the bench but stops working in its regular location? I'm just going nuts here but there has to be an answer and the answer has got to be a flaky motherboard I think.

Anyway, I am going to move it back again and see how long it keeps working.

Thanks,
Maurice

fordgt40

Hi Maurice

If I understand correctly, the problem only happens when you are connected to the "old" switch, not the switch connected to the "troubleshooting bench"
From afar it suggests that the problem lies within your "old switch and cabling" - did you change anything there? Is there any merit in swopping cables/switches between the original setup and the "troubleshooting bench" to see if the problem moves to a different location?

Simplistic I know but may be worth a try

Regards

David

Maurice

Quote from: fordgt40 on November 18, 2012, 12:11:10 PM
Hi Maurice

If I understand correctly, the problem only happens when you are connected to the "old" switch, not the switch connected to the "troubleshooting bench"

Regards

David

Not exactly David. When I moved the FSX PC to the troubleshooting bench, it wasn't working at first either (last night or today) and when I plugged the Ethernet cable from the bench switch, the light near the connector did not light up either.

It was only after I disabled and re-enabled the LAN connection in the BIOS that I could see that light. This tells me that the switch is not the problem and I did try a different switch (and cables) as well with same result.

I have now moved the FSX PC back to its original location and it is still working, for now at least. If it does not work tomorrow or later tonight, than the motherboard has to go I think.

Thanks,
Maurice

fordgt40

Maurice

OK, I understand the sequence now. I wish you luck :)

Regards

David

Garys

Best thing to do would be to just disable onboard and throw in a cheap card as you suggest. Plenty of stories out there of going through the hassle of system terdown,rma wait times and rebuilding to find that the problem hasn't been resolved. Not just Asus either. Cheap quick and painless. Still freakin annoying none the less.

Gary

Maurice

Quote from: Garys on November 18, 2012, 03:55:18 PM
Best thing to do would be to just disable onboard and throw in a cheap card as you suggest. Plenty of stories out there of going through the hassle of system terdown,rma wait times and rebuilding to find that the problem hasn't been resolved. Not just Asus either. Cheap quick and painless. Still freakin annoying none the less.

Gary

Yep, that's what I'll do if/when it re-occurs. I can't bear the thought of replacing the motherboard again.

Maurice

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate