Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 11:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
725 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 748
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 725
Total: 725

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Question on interfaceIT startup behavior

Started by sagrada737, February 04, 2013, 04:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

I'm using FSX and Sim-Avionics, each on their own computers.  I am just beginning to learn use of the FDS SYS1 card with its interfaceIT software connectivity.  The SYS1 card uses a USB connection.

Problem I am experiencing:  The interfaceIT software is not always recognized by the Sim-Avionics Server.

I have verified that my test setup for the SYS1 card and interfaceIT are working correctly with a simple FSUIPC configured for Landing Gear UP / DOWN.  This shows up on the Sim-Avionics Server/FSUIPC Monitor window with an Offset of 0BE8, 0 (Gear UP) and 16383 (Gear Down).  During a Sim flight, when interfaceIT works, it works throughout the flight.  It is only when initially starting up the Sim systems that sometimes interfaceIT does not communicate.

My Sim statup sequence is FSX computer ON, start FSX and load a flight.  Then I startup the Sim-Avionics computer and start WideFS and let it connect, then start the Sim-Avionics Server and the other modules, eg. MCP, etc.  I then load up a known working Dispatch scenario - then un-Pause and begin flying.

However, it is at this point that I noticed that interfaceIT was not communicating the Gear Up/Down Offset.  This behavior has proven to be consistent.

With the Sim-Avionics Server still active, if I then go back and open the interfaceIT "Management Control System" and select "Locate Input Mode", then physically move the Landing Gear Switch, I will see interfaceIT recognize the correct switch location.  It is then that I will see the Gear Offset shown correctly in the Server FSUIPC Monitor window.

I have tried connecting the SYS1 card USB via USB 3.0, 2.0 Powered Hub, and straight into the computer - the same anomaly exists.  I have also tried both update FSUIPC and Update Sim-Avionics within setting up the Offset function within interface, and both are valid, but the systems startup behavior still exists.

The interfaceIT software seems to have some issue with its initialization sequence, or I don't have something configured properly (which is most likely the case).

I have gone through the FDS SYS1 documentation and it does not comment on any specific location for condition that the interfaceIT driver needs to be set to.  The Sim-Avionics computer does correctly recognize the SYS1 card and the Switch inputs are ALWAYS recognized by interfaceIT.

So... my questions are: 

- Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior and what was the solution to getting the interfaceIT driver to always communicate with the Sim-Avionics Server, without having to go back to the interfaceIT Management Control System?

- Is there a special location for the interfaceIT software?   or any special sequence for initializing interfaceIT such that it reliably communicates with Sim-Avionics via interfaceIT and the SYSx cards?

- Does the interfaceIT software need to be running on the Desktop before starting Sim-Avionics, or can it simply run in the background, having been previously configured?

I have seen with Scott's Sim that there is no special sequence - he just starts up all the computers and his SYS cards just work.  This tells me that I must have something not set up correctly.  Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

I usually start the computer (Sim-A) server.  Then I start WideFS or in my case XPWideclient.   Next I start Interfacit and leave it just running in the background in the tray.    Next is my Flight Illusion guage control program and minimize it.   Finally, Server.exe for Sim-A.   I check all my switches are in Cold and Dark config because that is how I usually start.   Then I select Cold and Dark in Sim-A Server.   And finally I start all other Sim-A programs.   

So I do have a sequence.   I dont just fire up everything randomly.  Not sure my sequence is best and eventually I want to automate all this with sim-a's start up routines but have still been in test mode so I do things manually and deliberately right now.

Scott

sagrada737

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your comments.

I did not mean to misrepresent in my post that you don't have a startup sequence.  It just seemed to me that you very quickly started things up and I was not aware that you had a specific manner in which you loaded the software modules on your computers.

That said, I tried your sequence with respect to loading interfaceIT and leaving it on the Desktop.  To my surprise, it did make a difference, and the Switch positions for FSUIPC were communicated to Sim-Avionics and also recognized by the FSX computer. 

Before I make further comments, I want to make sure that this is NOT a negative set of comments.  I just desire/need to understand how the SYS1 card works and what the interfaceIT software requires/expects.  I like the interfaceIT design concept and look forward to using it in my 737NG sim project.

That said, I re-reviewed the FDS SYS1 / interfaceIT documentation and it does not mention (at least I can't find it) that the interfaceIT software MUST be running on the Desktop before starting up other software applications.  I did not realize that the interfaceIT software could not run in the background upon initially cold-boot/starting the computer.  It was my understanding that the interfaceIT USB driver would take care of all that was needed for the SYS1 card to communicate the settings mde within the interfaceIT software .  Clearly, I don't yet understand how the interfaceIT software works within the computer system environment.  I will have to get with Steve at FDS to get a better handle on this so I kinow exactly how the interfaceIT software works and what it expects on the system level.

I have now tried your startup sequence from a cold boot (everything powered OFF) on both my FSX and Sim-Avionics computers, the SYS1 card, USB Hubs, etc. (in other words - every ting dead) and it seems to be consistent in allowing the properly set FSUIPC settings within interfaceIT's Management Control System to communicate correctly the Offset information to the Sim-Avionics Server, and the FSX (the Landing Gear function, in my test case).

Now I am back to trying to figure out if there are other "start Up" sequence issues that I should be aware of.  If others users of FSX/Sim-Avionics/interfaceIT could comment on their startup sequence, it would be helpful in better understanding how I can setup my sim system.  Thanks.

Mike

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Maurice

I have 8 computers running my sim (I know...way too many) and this is what I do. I power on all the PCs except the one with InterfaceIT. The SimA server PC is powered as well but server not running yet. I start FSX and then I make sure all the overhead switches are in the correct position for a dead start. I then start InterfaceIT as well as the Phidgets software that controls my TQ only.

After that, I start the server & everything works as it should. Having said that, I'm not 100% sure that is the best way to do things but this way works for me although I sometimes have to cycle some of the overhead switches to show their true state prior to starting the engines.

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

sagrada737

Hello Maurice,

Thanks for the comments on your "Start Up Sequence" for your Sim.  Eight computers...  Wow!!!  I thought Scott had the record on the number of computers :-)

It is interesting to notice the contrast between various builder's home cockpits in the manner and sequence that they start up their Sims.  I am looking forward to learning more about this.   It is hard to argue with what works.  For someone like me new to the "game" it is always a challenge to sort out and figure out this stuff empirically - not to mention very time consuming.

I don't have any Phidget cards, or Bonar cards yet, but I am guessing that the same considerations might apply to those interface modules as it might to that of the SYSx cards/interfaceIT i/o solutions.  I very much like the Forum here as it is a great help, and in many ways helps to keep folks from having to re-invent the wheel.  In that regard,  I greatly appreciate your comments and that of others.  In this thread, comments on so-called start up issues with various hardware/software sim setups.  I'm guessing that a Project Magenta setup must exhibit or have different start up requirements vs. ProSim, or Sim-Avionics, etc.  It would be interesting to see a spreadsheet that depicts the various "quirks" or requirements of these popular flight deck systems.

One reason I chose Sim-Avionics was that I liked the idea that I could run all of the 737NG Flight Deck modules on a single computer, hence having my high-end FSX computer and a separate Sim-Avionics computer.  My other reason was that I believe that FDS to be a leader in this segment of the sim market.  Thus far, I am very pleased with both, understanding that as a User, I am still on a fairly steep learning curve.

On a general note, my experience/association with software development projects (peripheral based) over the last three decades is that companies tend to release products at around an 80% or so operational level, with the basic functionality of the product spec covered, and remaining bugs/capability worked out over the projected life of the software product.  This is greatly compounded by software having to interface with hardware.  It is not atypical to see a series of formal Revision Releases to the customer base.   I am guessing that this is no different a situation in the flight simulator market, which in my case as an end-user has to do  with the Sim-Avionics 737NG flight model and various FDS hardware.  This is not a statement of complaint, but only sharing some subjective observations concerning software/hardware products in general.

It goes without saying that the challenge for companies developing software products, is one of obtaining a level of stability in their software that satisfies the market requirement/opportunity, yet adhering to a realistic release timing that is not premature or careless.  Many times this is a fine line for companies to walk as the pressure of engineering development vs. product release do not always synchronize with harmony.

In any case, from a Customer perspective, we all have to work this out individually with respect to being "happy" with our approach to our so-called needs and the reality of being able to satisfy those needs or wants - regardless the technical difficulties involved.  Things like system start up issues, hardware/software interface. etc for our home cockpits are but examples of how we must adapt to the relatively complex issues of system integration for a full-scale 737NG home simulator.

I am hoping to get over this part of the leaning curve with the interface cards fairly soon, as the software/hardware interface seems key for getting a well running 737NG home cockpit.  Sorry for the long post.

Mike

FredK

This is what works for me:

I have 7 computers......3 running SIM-A and Flight Illusion gauges and 4 running FSX with WideView (an FSX server and three clients).

I have the SimA server module, Interface IT, and gauges running on one computer (my SimA "server").  All other SimA modules run on the two other computers.

For startup on all computers other than the "SimA server" I simply use the Windows startup folder. That usually works fine for 95% of the time.  Every now and then I may have to reboot one of the modules....usually my EICAS or MFD that reside on the same computer as my CDUs (funny that it never happens with the CDUs).

For the "SimA server" computer I am more careful....I boot-up manually in the following sequence after all other computers are up and running and after all switches are set in the proper "cold and dark" configuration:
(1) Flight Illusion Gauges
(2) InterfaceIT
(3) SimA server module last

All that typically works very well.

Regarding the gear command problem try the following....On the "Flight Controls" page check "Gear enabled" under Ancillaries and check "Gear external" under "Do Not Link to Flight Sim". I have my gear switch wired through a CPFlight board.  If yours is wired through InterfaceIT directly this probably would not apply though.

Fred
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments and input Fred.  s I mentioned, I have the FSUIPCwith the Switch Inputs issue sorted out.  I'm now moving on the the Output mode with the SYS1 card.  After that, I will try to figure out how to interface potentiometers for testing a Flaps function.  Thanks again for your feedback.

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate