Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 04:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
467 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 470
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 467
Total: 467

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Glow in the dark panels?

Started by phil744, February 23, 2010, 02:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil744

Evening crew

Bit of an odd one, i was asked at work to produce some fire escape/emergency exit signs that glow in the dark simple enough task to do and had a chance to play with some of this glow in the dark paint.

Nowthen, me being me had one of those "hmm, i wonder if....?" moments, these usually get me in trouble as you well know,

We all have watches with glow in the dark hands on them and i though i wonder if the same could be applied to panel's? i know with the watch of mine i can still read it at 4am, well kind off with one eye close dribbling some what ;)

To be honest i dont know if this is all old news and its been done before, maybe on old WW2 aircraft instruments but apart from that i have never seen it, im sure somebody wil correct me if im wrong.

So, grabbed an old panel, sanded it and painted it and shoved it in the engraver, just a rushed quick job to see if it works and to be honest i am a little shocked with the result,

The paint is flurecent yellow, hence the green funky look in the first photo, the only thing used for illumination is my 32" monitor, i dont know why, i guess there is quite alot of UV output from CCFL back lit LCD panels but the contrast is somthing else, really crisp and sharp much better than white engraving if im honest, camera is a fujifilm S100FS just set to auto, im not a photographer i always have it set to auto.

Second picture, same camera, same settings, monitor switched off but main workshop lights were on and i have little LED's in my office celing so not totally dark i could probably just read a book, be honest the photo makes it look a lot brighter than what it is but i could clearlly read it without straining. if you take a normal back lit panel and illuminated it to 5v this one at a guess would be at about 15% brightness.

Obviously there is a down side when it comes to glow time, at the moment its just a few mins before its too hard to read, saying that im using my desk lamp to charg it, would be interesting to get a proper black light and give it a go, and also the paint is still wet when i took these pics i beleve that also has an effect.

But.... the light spread across the panel is to die for, it is perfect :)

Anyway, just thought i would show you, maybe its somthing worth exploring more, im gonna have a play (ive said that before ;) ) and see what i can get out of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

jackpilot

Only you could do that!!!!!
Well actually could be usefull for some conventional panels where it is too tight to put leds, or panels sitting partly on a metal backing part (did'nt say backer!)
Think I could use it on my TQ..
Well done Sir!

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

Nice work!

What they use on watch faces today is called Superluminova. You can buy this stuff from watchmaker sites, but it would take forever to apply to a panel. It stays illuminated for a long time with only a brief exposure to light.

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

phil744

Hey Mike is there anything you dont know? cheers for the name i have been wondering what it is they used, did a little digging and it is possable to use it, but it looks like im not the first to do it  >:(

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

Boeing Skunk Works

Horology is another one of my too numerous hobbies.  ;D
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate