Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 12:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
455 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 465
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 455
Total: 455

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

CP FLight MCP Pro and PM

Started by Joe Lavery, March 13, 2010, 04:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Lavery

Hi all you knowledgeable PM and CP Flight users.

I was lucky enough to have a CP Flight MCP Pro and 2 EFIS Pro units for my Birthday. I've finally got round to installing them but there seems to be a problem. The test program shows they are working but I cannot get them to connect to PM. If I use native FS2004 737 and launch the CP Flight COM software then the MCP lights up but the EFIS units don't work. I imagine that's because the EFIS is not supported in FS, so I'm not unduly concerned about that.

I read on 'another' forum that our leader (that's you Trev  ;)) said that the MCP should be connected to the same PC as the PM MCP, is that correct? because that may be the problem, mine is not. However I thought that these items could connect via WideFS.

Would be very grateful for some input from you chaps,

On another unrelated matter, anyone know where to get "Reasonably Priced" 737 Trim Wheels from?
I've seen the ones on Simparts but they seem a bit pricey to me  :o

Regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Trevor Hale

Hey Joe, 

I wouldhave to check again that in the Config file for the PMMCP, you need to tell it "CpFlight Hardware = yes"  With that being the case the Unit as far as I know needs to be lugged into the same compuer that PMMCP Runs on.

Good luck bud.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

ivar hestnes

Joe, yes the MCP needs to be connected to the same computer as the software. For sure the needed information is sent over the wideFS, but, I guess the hardware com-port is not transmitted over the network. Thats why :)

jackpilot

Hi Joe
trim wheel are relatively easy to make out of MDF. Or you can buy one and copy the second.
Check Symulatory.
Will report if I find another source in my docs.
Cheers...and happy birthday whenever it was. ;D
JP

Jack

Joe Lavery

Thanks for the speedy replies guys, I've moved the MCP to the PC that's running the PM MCP but that doesn't seem to work either.
From that I assume that they should all be running from the FS machine? So if I understand it correctly, I should have the PM MCP, FS and the CP Flight MCP all attached to the same PC.

Jack, I had a look at Symulatory but he doesn't show the trim wheels as a separate item. So I accept your offer to make me one (or two would be better) out of MDF...  ;D
And thanks for the good wishes, I was 65 on 30th December, so I'm officially an old git now  ;)

Regards

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Bob Reed

The EFIS panels will work because you are using PM and PM supports these. I think there is something in the config you are missing....

jackpilot

Trim wheel.
If you intend to have it functional Go for MDF
If for looks only, browse hardware stores...can go from a good freezbee, to wheel flanges, with anything looking right in between (like a round kitchen garbage bin cover) .

Hardware stores have amazing hidden ressources . Ex: my reverser housings are made with  white plastic gutter end-caps, and the throttle knobs are ABS water pipe couplings.

Jack

TomR

Quote from: Joe Lavery on March 13, 2010, 10:32:04 AM
Thanks for the speedy replies guys, I've moved the MCP to the PC that's running the PM MCP but that doesn't seem to work either.
From that I assume that they should all be running from the FS machine? So if I understand it correctly, I should have the PM MCP, FS and the CP Flight MCP all attached to the same PC.

Hi

1/ Like Trev already answered the MCP software and hardware has to be on the same PC, doesn't matter which one it is.
2/ When you can coonect / see the MCP hardware in CPFlights test program on THAT PC (MCP hardware and software) you can see/ read the current COM port that is used for the MCP hardware (you will find it as well in Windows->System->Hardware->COM Ports/ Printer...).
In "MCP.ini" file you will find this line
CPFlightComm= 0
Just change it to the current COM number, e.g.
CPFlightComm= 3
Then it will alive.
There is as well a line that says
CPFlightIO=Off
As long you don't have there extended IO board for switches Led's ... this has to be like above, "=Off".
Nothing more to do there.
Best Regards
Thomas Richter

Trevor Hale

Awesome Thomas.. you Rock, those are the things that needed changing..  Good man.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

Trim wheels are easy.

Set your jigsaw blade to 5° and cut four 10" rings 1/2" wide from MFD as was said. Cut two 10" circles from luan or basswood and glue and clamp one ring on each side of the circle. Be sure your 5° bevel has the high side in the center. Fill and sand until smooth.

Be sure to reset the saw to 0° when cutting the inside of the rings.

Use etching primer and paint high gloss black using acrylic lacquer.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Joe Lavery

Thanks again guys for all the advice, particularly Thomas, MCP and EFIS all working fine now.

It's great to have such a wealth of knowledge on tap, also with plenty of people willing to share their experiences.

My annunciators were all made from small offcuts of plastic box section, so I agree it's surprising what you can adapt.  I cut my sixpack boxes from a sandwich of plastic window board offcuts. I work for a double glazing company so we have lots of those. Simply machine slots for the LEDs and print a faceplate from printable vinyl, works great.

Thanks again everybody, if I can help at all with my limited knowledge please ask.  ;)

Regards

Joe.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate