Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
114 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Final Display Config

Started by sagrada737, August 07, 2021, 03:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello All,

It's raining here in Las Cruces, NM.  With the summer Monsoons, I have to be careful of Thunderstorms and associated lightning strikes.  I don't want a random strike to take out my Sim Computers -- or anything else for that matter.

I just completed what I think is my last and final Display configuration for my Sim.  As I previously mentioned, I am using a new i9 11th Gen CPU system for the new Sim Computer, along with an RTX-3090 GPU that was setup for 4K resolution feeding each of the three Optoma ZH406ST projectors for a warped/blended 210 degree wrap around display.

I was hoping that the new computer and the RTX-3090 that I would eliminate the minor display shifting problem I was seeing.  No such luck... 

Although the shifting problem was greatly diminished, it still shows up on occasion whenever the aircraft makes a turn or climb/descent, where the display graphics data is changing rapidly.

Plan B...   I checked again with PixelWix and they have seen this problem as well with some of their Sim systems.  They indicated that reducing the resolution  going into the projectors would improve performance.  So, I reduced the resolution from 4K to 3K, for a total Nvidia Surround display resolution of 7680 x 1440, which is fed into the projectors after warping and blending.  This greatly improved the graphic throughput, and still preserves the down-scaled resolution to 1080p HD projected display quality.

Without the 6dof Motion Platform online and operational, the warped/blended display quality is smooth, without any display shifts.  However, when I operate the Motion Platform, I do get some display shifting, but much less than before.   This is about as good as I am going to get with the current setup of Sim computer, GPU, and P3D v4.5.

Clearly, I have a processing bottleneck somewhere in the system, that suggests that I close to maxing out this current Sim system configuration.  That said, I'm fairly pleased now with Sim Display quality, smoothness, and the resulting improvement in Sim immersion. 

The next logical step for my Sim is to change from P3D v4.5 to v5.2 to see if there are further performance improvements.  I hope to get to that in the coming weeks.  After that, I may investigate Optoma's new Gaming Projector, the GT1090HDR, which has faster specs and can also receive 4K data for down-scaling to HD resolution.  One step at a time...

Clear Skies,
Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

blueskydriver

Hey Mike,

I don't remember, but are you using one computer to run it all? After reading your post I wonder what the MB data bus and I/O speeds are, as well as your RAM total.

When you turn the motion on and the video takes a hit that says too me it's a data transfer rate issue. What about using another PC for the motion and use high rate NIC 10GB cards and 10GB switch between them?

Also, what is the model number of your Motherboard, I'm curious  ;D

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate