Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
155 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 155
Total: 155

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

B767 MIP

Started by Goodenough, January 05, 2018, 03:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodenough

At the end of January, It was decided that the way I would build my B767 MIP stand was to manufacture sheet metal parts thru laser cutting, bending and drilling the pieces. After many drawings and measurements I went ahead with laser cutting the pieces. What I like about this process is the cutting surface is clean of burrs and is very precise. In the pictures I have the manufactured piece that was laser cut next to the Boeing real piece in the MIP frame. I compared each piece to the real ones to see how close the measurements were and I'm very pleased with the 1>1 scale that was achieved. Next powder coating all the pieces before assembly.

jackpilot

Assuming the real shell is yours, what's the point of replicating these parts??

Jack

Goodenough

Too cold to work out there. We just got another dump of snow. I need a stand to mount all my panels to it so I can work inside where its toasty warm. Once panels are mounted I can figure out how to connect everything to a power source and computer.

Goodenough

I worked on assembling one of the rudder boxes and it came out not too bad.

kurt-olsson

Goodenough

I worked on assembling CDU bay and centre monitor frame...now the other side.

Goodenough

Preparing the tray pieces for primer and paint

Goodenough

I assembled another important piece to my MIP.....the sidewall support frame. I used the real one as a reference

Goodenough

Some more pieces of the MIP that was assembled this week. I wanted to place the panels on the frame to make sure it all lined up and it did....whew.

Goodenough

Almost there....now onto the MCP tray and top of frame so I can place the glare shield on. The frame allows me to work on interfacing and connecting everything inside first before it goes into the real cockpit. It will be a SSTD B767

Goodenough

Working on the test fit for MCP before tightening everything up. Next fitting glare shield

jackpilot

A single seat MIP in a real shell !!!?? >:(

Jack

Goodenough

Yes but not in the shell. That's another project in its self. The SST is for inside use only where I can experiment and work on getting real gauges/annunciators working.

Goodenough

Well Im happy with the progress so far. Need to start working on my LED LIGHTS. I mounted some near the MCP....its a start.

Goodenough

I had another throttle quadrant and joined it to my homemade stand. I need to start on getting the monitors up for the MIP. I can't decide on what to do next. Information overload.

Goodenough

Building the base to set the single seat B767 MIP on.

Goodenough

Well got the underside panel below glare done and painted an airspeed indicator that came out of an MD-80 aircraft.

kurt-olsson

N606DL

Nice. How do you plan on doing the avionics displays?

bernard S

he is lucky    because symbol.generators external ..

Goodenough

Thank you Bernard and Kurt for feedback. I appreciate the help Bernard you provided a couple years ago when I built my B747-400 MIP. I have the FS9 software and four 8 " monitors that is connected to a Nvidea 440 PCI graphics card.

bernard S

lol  now you opened can of worms   ..

Goodenough

Well youre probably right so I am going do it. Here is what I have for my rig.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Power Supply: 430 watt ThermalTake
RAM:8 GB (4 x 2 GB) DDR2 PC6400 operating in dual channel mode.
Boot drive: 120 GB Kingston SSD
Data drive: 500 GB Western Digital SATA
Optical drive: LG Super Multi DVD burner.

I installed Windows 7 and everything runs smoothly.
I tore open an old joystick and ripped oit tje guts. Im going to use the potentiometers for my yoke and throttles. I got a friend helping me connect them

jackpilot

Quote from: Goodenough on January 16, 2019, 05:13:23 PM

I tore open an old joystick and ripped oit tje guts. Im going to use the potentiometers for my yoke and throttles. I got a friend helping me connect them

I would buy good quality (high res,)  pots to that end, recycling joystick pots can result in sub-par performance to say the least.
My 2 cts

Jack

Goodenough

Thanks Jack....never considered that. Im hearing now people use magnets instead of potentiometers. . Anyone here how that works,
Also I downloaded FS9 and LEVEL D B767 on my computer with a addon  that Matt suggested called FS panel studio so that the panels I want can be exported to the four 8" monitors that I got. Anyways I will be working on this for a while. I am following John's (blueskydriver) advise and will avoid the trend to always upgrade or change PC's....like he says chasing the Flight Simulator Rainbow....which is good on the pocketbook .

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate