Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:39:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
118 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Network Issues : Running P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5

Started by n4208t, July 19, 2020, 02:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n4208t

This is just an FYI and I am not 100% sure it is correct, nor do I understand why this is occurring.  BUT- in building the new sim I bought v5 of P3D and loaded it.  I kept my v4.5 on the same computer figuring I had a stable platform whilst debugging the new v5.  Running on the single computer ... no issues.

Then I got the avionics computer going again and, as soon as I did that I started having crashes.  When I launched the G1000 software, either the software would crash on the avionics computer or, more frequently, P3D would crash and I would get a .NET error.  This happened pretty much all the time.

Was running a new version of the G1000 software which is v5 compatible and thought it was that so reached out to F1Tech support ... not helpful.  Tried everything with no results but found at least 3 other folks online who were having similar crash problems with different software running on a network and the one common denominator was they all had BOTH v4.5 and v5 on the same computer.

I de-installed v5, removed all of the associated files and even cleaned the registry of all mentions of v5 and the network problems, .NET issues and the crashes stopped immediately.  Yesterday I did the same thing with version 4.5 taking it completely off the computer and cleaning the registry and then reinstalling version 5.

VOILA.  No problems.  No .NET issues.  No crashing and the G1000 software works just fine.

So if anyone out there is having problems and has both versions on their setup, be aware that there may be a problem having the two.  Not sure why but I think it is real and others ought to be aware.

Steve

blueskydriver

Did you update to the newest .NET version 4.8 beforehand? Also, is your Windows 10 the correct version?

Check this out:

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

Might want to look at these HotFix updates as well:

https://www.prepar3d.com/news/announcements/2020/06/116953/

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

n4208t

P3Dv5 will not even load unless you are running the latest version of Windows 10.  In fact, I used to run Win 8.1 on the sim computer (to avoid Win 10 update problems) and only went to 10 because of P3Dv5.  The main computer (I7 with 48 gb RAM) was upgraded and updated using the latest Win 10 media creator. The avionics computer (I5 w 16 gb RAM) is only 1 week old.  Both are running the latest version of 64 bit Win 10 Pro and yes, I have the latest version of .NET as well.  I checked.  Windows update will automatically download the latest .NET version if yours is out of date.  (I checked that also)

Also the version of P3Dv5 I loaded includes hotfix 1 and 2 and I did a complete install as LM recommends.

blueskydriver

Hey Steve,

Okay, I read your post again and missed the part of what you really meant. You're saying uninstall P3D v4.5 before even installing v5.0 the first time. Sorry, my mistake...

However, this is really not good for anyone; especially, if v4.5 has been working fine and you/they still want to fly while working out the kinks with v5.0. More or less this is a do or die thing in your situation.

Still, I think a dual boot system would (or should) work well. One drive for each, that way you can go back and forth to each version. Albeit, LM says you can run both on the same system per their FAQ, I think a dual boot is better in the long run.

Lastly, just a quick question, are you using a DX12 video card, if so which one?

Kind Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

n4208t

Ask as many questions as you like.  Using a dual boot system, with the two versions having a dedicated OS of their own makes perfect sense.  I may go ahead and try that if I start having any issues with just v5 and it should avoid the issues if the two versions are causing some sort of interference.  So far, once I switched to just the v5 install everything seems to be running OK.  I have not loaded all of my add-ons but I am waiting for some of them to be v5 compatible (primarily Active Sky) and I still have a lot of work to do on building and wiring the simulator.

I am currently running an nVidia GTX 1070 with 6 gig VRAM on the main computer.  I am changing that to an 8 gig nVidia RTX 2070 which should be here this week and I will put the other one in the avionics computer ... though it probably does not need it.  The GTX 1070 can run the 3 55 inch monitors at 4K but I have a 4th display and it just does not have the horsepower to drive the 4th one.  Also, the 3 high resolution monitors are really pushing the card to its limits.

I would have really liked to go to an RTX 2080 or one of the new big 11 gig cards but I just could not justify the cost.  Hopefully the 2070 will get me by for at least a few years.

jskibo

I ran three 4Ks on a 1080ti 11GB and performance was not great.  Kansas was fine, Atlanta or Chicago was a PowerPoint show.

Knocking it down to non native 5760 x 1080 was much better
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate