Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
96 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 121
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 96
Total: 96

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Looking for resources about 737-800NG overhead panels dimensions

Started by Pitje, April 04, 2019, 08:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitje

Howdy everyone, Just joined. Making a 737-800NG simulator together with my brother in law. Doing a lot of research starting with the overhead panel. I'm designing them right now in SolidWorks. The hardest part is not knowing the exact sizes of the panels and even more confusing the size of each switch, since apparently there is a mix between 6mm and 12mm? I hope some of you can shed some light on that for me or share some awesome resources that could help out!

The first panel:

Roderick / Pitje

navymustang

It looks like your design is not going to use Dzus rails for mounting. You may want to consider this since there may be real aircraft parts you want to use, or replica parts from manufactures you can find on the web. The design you have right now would make mounting and removal interesting.

I suggest you look at designs for your panels and mounting procedures that afford easy removal and maintenance in the future. There will always be a reason in the future to partially dismantle a panel or remove it for work.

For the forward overhead, also look at designing a method that allows the entire panel to be hinged on the aft edge so that it pivots down when released from the front using some form of retainer screws/bolts as in the real aircraft. When I bought my Sismo forward overhead, it always was a two and sometimes three person effort to remove the panel for maintenance.  Now when I have any failure it just tilts down for easy access.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

mickc

On top of what Jim said, there are no 6mm switch holes.  They are all either 1/2" or 3/8" for a few.  If you want to make it as real as possible, look only at pictures of real panels, not what other vendors make - quite often they are not right.

For basic panel dimensions, this site is quite handy http://www.barrytech.com/boeing/boeing.html

With enough research, time & patience, you can get it pretty close to the real deal.

bernard S

get a cockpit poster and scale to.what works for you .
. simple cheap fast

Pitje

Correct, I'm not using a DZUS Rail. I'll be fastening the bottom board to a frame, which can then hold all the panels and hinge like the real thing would. I've chosen for this option so I can fit all my backlighting and such on a thick wooden frame. I will not use any real plane parts or manufacturers parts in this build, mainly cause I don't have easy access to them right now and I kind of want to build everything myself.

I've been trying to find some cad drawings to work off from, but not very lucky so far

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate