Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:07:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
132 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 143
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My Boeing 737-800 cockpit

Started by Winstonc, January 11, 2017, 02:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winstonc

Thought you guys might be interested in this video of me flying from Miami to Tampa in my Boeing 737-800 cockpit.

I am using Prepar3D V3.4 along with Radar Contact, MCE and Ultimate Traffic.

http://youtu.be/1gugqfKwUk0

David

Flying_Fox

Excellent video David!

I followed you sim on FDS forum and I am subscribed to your Youtube channel.
Glad to see you here too.

Nick

XOrionFE

Winstonc

Thanks guys.

One of my goals for this year is to find someone local with more knowledge of flying the 737 (preferably a real 737 pilot or ex-pilot) to fly in the FO position to extend my knowledge and I think it would also make the video's even more interesting.

At some point I also want to make a video giving a tour of my setup.

David

737man

Very Nice.   I use FSX / Prosim.  I saw you said you use "Radar Contact, MCE and Ultimate Traffic"  But my question is.  I like the audio interaction with the pilots you have.  What is the process to set that up.  I assume I would need the above programs?  Any help would be wonderful.  Thank You Lance

keep up the great sim!!!

Winstonc

Hi Lance,

You would need Radar Contact and MCE.

Radar contact would provide the ATC which normally requires button presses to respond. MCE allows you to use voice recognition to respond to RC and works pretty well and both are pretty easy to setup.  Other ATC software may also work and I tested most, but find myself coming back to RC being the most reliable although not perfect variant.

MCE also allows you to converse with the FO, but in my case with a physical cockpit he is of little use as he cannot physically move the actual controls.   He is useful for operating radios though and you may have seen that just after takeoff I asked him to take of most of the radio work as flying a 737 as single pilot is enough workload let alone responding to ATC.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

David

Joe Lavery

Hi David,

Nice video, what size monitors are you using and what angle are they set at, (the side ones)?

Cheers
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Winstonc

Thanks Joe.

They are 70" 4K TV's each driven by a separate PC with the sides at 60 degrees linked using WideView.

Regards

David

Joe Lavery

Thank you David,

I'm not sure I've got the room for anything over 40 inches so I don't suppose I'll have the same immersion that you get. However it will be far better than I get the 19 inch monitors I'm using at the moment.

Incidentally I was a bit inflamed by the comment that idiot made about your landing on the video. I wish people who have nothing positive to say would just shut up and refrain from adding comments that they're clearly not qualified to make.... ;D ;D end of rant!!!  :2cw:

Regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

B747-400

Hi David,

thanks for sharing your great video! Your sim is excellent!!  8)

Cheers
Hans
Hans G. Schuetz
http://B747-400.net

kurt-olsson

Great video!
Hands off throttle at V1! :)

Winstonc

Here is a new video I just published, this time a short hop from Oahu to Maui.

https://youtu.be/JJCXtbXsyxA.

So the question is are these video of interest? Any suggestions for improvement?

David

blueskydriver

Hi David,

I enjoy your videos, as they're a reminder for me to get my sim back together...

Regarding improvements, I suggest the following:

1. Put a another camera, placed on the MIP, aimed on yourself and cut to it when speaking to ATC and etc.
2. Do away with camera shots while turning onto taxiways/runways, the angles of the shots breaks the continunity of the idea of the flight; these are not normally seen angles.
3. Put a camera just behind the FO seat and that way the viewer might feel like your imaginary copilot; cut to it every now and then.
4. How about some shots of you getting into the cockpit seat where everything is cold and dark? Also, after the flight, where everything is cold and dark when you get up to leave.
5. How about doing some emergency procedures, like abort TO, return to airport with dumping fuel in order to land, engine fire, and even some touch and goes.
6. Do a non-flying video and show your entire sim, as well as the area you keep it in; the "How You Did It" video is always a winner for sim builders.

Best Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Winstonc

Thanks John, great suggestions. Look out for some of them implemented in the next video.

Regards

David

Winstonc

Just published the first part in a series of short videos covering the basic procedures I use in my Boeing 737-800 cockpit.

I anticipate releasing a new part on a weekly basis.

Not sure how useful or interesting they are to people, but at least they give a closeup view of different areas of my simulator.

Here is the link https://youtu.be/taJlfN7Ca9w

David

blueskydriver

Hi David,

Your videos look great and I really like the pop up labels of the button, switch and etc for the steps you cover; really keeps the focus on what you're doing.

I see you added a music bed under the intro and at the end. May I suggest that you drop the volume of the music a little bit more under your voice intro? As it is right now, the music is competing with your voice and making it hard to understand you. I know you basically say the same thing in part 2 as you did part 1, but I am just giving you the feedback early on rather then having 10 videos that are like this and you decide to go back and fix them.

Please don't take me as being a critic of your work, it's actually 180 degrees the opposite. I really like your videos because they stay on topic and without someone rambling on; especially, when it's meant too be an instructional related video. Now, if you're doing a commentary video and ad-libbing, I would say great, tell me everything and throw in some jokes.

Please keep the videos coming, I really enjoy watching them...

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Winstonc

Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback. 

I thought I had it at the right level, but will reduce it going forward.

Regards

David

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate