Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:44:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
106 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737-800 Arduino X-Plane Build

Started by kurt-olsson, September 06, 2015, 01:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Building is standing still, a newborn and no more time. But i am still collecting oem stuff for the future when i get more time.

Today i got some nice panels from my friend in Canada.

kurt-olsson

Circuit board will look like this + a mosfet to drive the backlight (todo)

kurt-olsson

Board connected to panel. Unfortunatly i could not remove the long metalbar, the oem screws are impossible to loose. Big problem i dont know how to solve yet.

I will use a 3-pin DIN contact on the back later.

I think this worked out pretty good.

Trevor Hale

Pretty Cool.  As for your issue with the seized screws.....  (Grinder works ha ha ha ) Just kidding.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

kurt-olsson

Quote from: Trevor Hale on January 03, 2017, 05:25:28 AM
Pretty Cool.  As for your issue with the seized screws.....  (Grinder works ha ha ha ) Just kidding.

Thanks LOL! :)

kurt-olsson

Fmc face OEM arrived. Will be a challange to interface and also replace a broken exec button...

I know at least 3 bulbs are broken in the lightplate...

Not very good condition but hey! Its OEM!

Will fit a lcd screen in the back. If anyone know a 44pin connector that fits, let me know.

paulnd

Hi,

I now regret starting a similar project recently and have almost given up.

Perhaps your circuit board is in a better condition but the one which I bought had several of the foil domes which are the switch contacts broken or missing. These cannot be repaired or replaced and even one broken switch renders it pretty much useless.

I then had to design, etch and solder a replacement circuit board, I'm now using the 5th replacement board. Although the buttons close to the edges work, buttons in the centre don't due to flexing of the circuit board and I'm trying to find a way to make it more rigid and get the spacing between the buttons and circuit board and circuit board correct.

It is nevertheless interesting to see how the buttons are backlit as well as the general design of an OEM part.

I was also unable to find pinouts of the connector even with the assistance of experienced and knowledgeable forum members.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurt-olsson

Oops., that dont sound so good. :(

My plan is to:

1. See if i can just replace the exec button and interface via pins out.
2. Remove the circuit board and try to hook up the switches manually.
3. Remove all and even try to fit new buttons (or use the caps of the fmc). Maybe build custom backlighting if lightplate is broken (but dont think so)

I think my circuitboard is in pretty good shape but havent begun identifying pins with the multimeter yet.

How did you remove the circuitboard? Can this be done without braking it?

Usually the "homemade" stuff turns out bad and bying FDS would be better. But in my case i cant use FDS since i only use x-plane. Would like to see pins out on their plug n play. And this OEM cost me a 1/12 of their plug unit so i will at least give it a try.

Lets keep in contact if we find good progress. :)

paulnd

There are 2 circuit boards, the outermost is the backlight and the inner contains the membrane switches (I think that's the correct term). Both can be removed by undoing the tiny screws. Once the circuit boards are removed, you'll have the backlight "block" which is attached to the buttons.

Perhaps post a photo of the back to confirm that it's the same as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurt-olsson

Photos coming, will have to go away today but post as soon as i come home later.

Thanks Paul!

bernard S

I am all for people using real parts ..so i will throw you a couple of bones to chew on.. you need the CMM  with IPL for this project .. here is publication number... C15-3641-044    pages 263-469 and pages 547- 1256 ..someone on here may have one they can share with you   have fun

kurt-olsson

Thanks Bernard! I will see if i can make something out of it.
I took away the lightplate and was disappointed because i cannot use multimeters on the silver rails to identify the pins.

I would like to be able to remove the circuitboard and see how it looks.

If everything goes wrong i should be able to multiplex the buttons and still use the backlight.

paulnd

if you undo the screws on the front holding the EXEC frame and the 2 annunciators (MSG, FAIL etc) then you should be able to remove the membrane switch circuit board.

There is nothing then holding the buttons and backlight "block" in place so be careful if you turn it over once the circuit boards have been removed.

kurt-olsson

Thanks. maybe i will be able to see how things are connected...

It would be cool to do a custom circuitboard and still use the lightplate and buttons...

kurt-olsson

Removed evrything.
One thing i dont understand is why some buttons have white round caps at the bottom and some dont?

The broken button seems impossible to fix, will prob have to replace it... :(

Pheww lots of work when aligning the buttons to fit them back again...

kurt-olsson

Hm... this is going from bad to worse...

Fine fine mechanics in the oem stuff...

A small spring is holding up the plexi button-rod. Broken on the nr 4 button...

Even if i do some custom stuff, it must fit inside the fmc so i can close the lightplate...

Hm... i smell wasted money...

jackpilot

Jack

kurt-olsson

Back with a plan!

I am down to my last alternative: manual cables and new micro pushbuttons.
I will replace the springs with actual bushbuttons!
That way i can still insert bulbs and use the original "glass-holders" and "caps"!

The exec button will be replaced and also a new potentiometer.

Really hope there is a lcd screen that is right size! Maybe i can use the lightplate or i will have to manually indert the bulb in the board.

kurt-olsson

Ok, so there are tiny pushbuttons on the pcb, the white circle caps should be on all buttons, how on earth did they disapperar? That is why only 50% of the buttons click and the others dont...

Wonder if i could order spring, caps and pushbuttons from boeing? Haha

bernard S

nope   not Boeing.. but from Honeywell .. i tried to tell you what docs to get before you went diving in ... thats why i said try to get either CMM or IPC or IPL  for this project ... for the cost of replacement bits ..best buy a complete CDU its not a FMC   ;)

kurt-olsson

Quote from: bernard S on January 05, 2017, 10:34:17 AM
nope   not Boeing.. but from Honeywell .. i tried to tell you what docs to get before you went diving in ... thats why i said try to get either CMM or IPC or IPL  for this project ... for the cost of replacement bits ..best buy a complete CDU its not a FMC   ;)

Those acronyms could as well be in greek language for me, dont understand any of them.
The CDU at swiss-sim is about 900$, i got this for about 150$ So there is lot to try before adding up to that price, but i do agree with you that it is best to buy complete stuff.

But i think i will actually get this to work! Some microswitches and new bulbs and a custom pcb should do the trick! :)

Trevor Hale

Can't wait to see you finish this.  "Don't let it beat you"   Unfortunately it will be loads of work though, but the reward will totally be worth it in the end.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

kurt-olsson

Quote from: Trevor Hale on January 05, 2017, 10:47:57 AM
Can't wait to see you finish this.  "Don't let it beat you"   Unfortunately it will be loads of work though, but the reward will totally be worth it in the end.

Trev

Well, my mcp took about a year and 1000$ so this should be 6months 500$ haha

bernard S

fair enough ..irs a challenge for sure

jackpilot

Quote from: kurt-olsson on January 05, 2017, 10:42:45 AM
Quote from: bernard S on January 05, 2017, 10:34:17 AM
... thats why i said try to get either CMM or IPC or IPL  for this project ...

Those acronyms could as well be in greek language for me, dont understand any of them.

Bernard, Kurt has a good point
Whenever you try to help, just remember that most if not all of us are not familiar with those acronyms....explain and translate..a much  better way to get it through!!
Thank you.
Jack

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate