Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:33:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
88 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 100
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Scott (and Rob's...) Chicago 737-300 Build

Started by XOrionFE, December 26, 2015, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Well, it has been a long year of collecting and odds and ends work but finally ready to start posting progress of my new build.   Inspired by the work of Rob Archer last February I embarked on a quest to build a 737-200 of my own based on the awesome FlyJSim 732, X-Plane, mostly real aircraft parts, and my FDS shell and liners.   As part of this rebuild I also decided to pull out my pvc based yoke columns and replace with the real deal as well.   I have many folks I need to thank that are making this possible by contributing in knowledge and/or parts and even some custom fabrication.  Of course Rob Archer who is essentially my co-builder (we will have sister ships based 2 hrs apart in the US midwest).  Roberto Blanco for my pedestal and some other hard to find parts along with some sketches from his real cockpit.  James Price for supplying me with enough cannon plugs (which will all be re-pinned) to accomodate all my mip guages as well as some other key type specific panels and parts along with encouragement and wisdom.   Michael Sherrick for his custom fabrication of parts for my yoke/column build and an awesome set of custom j-rails.   Again, Michael provides great encouragement and ideas.   Matt W for his pioneering work on real parts.  Steve Cos for insights on using the FDS shell with real parts.  And Last but not least all of you.

Here are some pictures of structural progress on various parts and my collection so far.   Also a picture of the FDS shell top that had to be cut along with creation of a custom cover to accomodate a real overhead.

I will post more as I progress.

Scott

iwik

Scott,
It looks awesome and some work ahead. Should be very rewarding, nothing like
having to get your grey matter going. Looking forward to more and its great to see
you back up with us again.
Cheers
Les

Bob Reed

Wow! Not much more to say about this. Can't wait to see the videos of it working!!

727737Nut

I have been looking forward to this phase since I talked Scott into this madness a year ago. :) With his visuals and shell this will be the true "As real as it gets 737 sim"

Can't wait for the online flying and Shared Cockpit flying, after many hours of phone calls and visits to come in the coming months. LOL 

I applaud you Scott for overcoming the fears of this undertaking and being open minded to mine and others suggestions.

Rob
737 Junkie

Nat Crea

Happy New Year Scott.
Absolutely beautiful!
Surely you can squeeze in some Ultra Short throws?  :laugh:

Nat

XOrionFE

Quote from: Nat Crea on December 26, 2015, 06:22:01 PM
Happy New Year Scott.
Absolutely beautiful!
Surely you can squeeze in some Ultra Short throws?  :laugh:

Nat

Judging by what I have heard the newer projectors really give great resolution and I would love to have them.  My only issue is ceiling height.   My basement ceiling is only 7.5ft and since I had to raise the whole sim an additional 5 inches to accomodate the yokes I lost that much more.

If I ever move it to a larger space will definitely give projectors a go again.  And I would definitely pay Natvis to do the work! 

Happy New Year Nat

matta757

Nice work there, Scott! Nothing like the real parts. I have been buying up real 757/767 parts for the better part of a year now, it's addictive. Nothing can compare to the look and feel of real yokes though, glad to see you made the switch!

Matt

B747-400

Hans G. Schuetz
http://B747-400.net

jackpilot

Thank you Scott.

Both Rob and you are our "pioneers" in Simbuilding!  :D

Keep us up to date...
definitely worth a short hop to Chicago !

Jack

shaneb

Looks awesome Scott . . will be watching for more updates!
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

mickc

Awesome Scott!

I guess you are going to start stocking up on Arduinos??

Are the  A/P & F/D mode annunciator modules out of a Level D sim?  They look to have the same markings as the AFDS units I got from a CAE sim.

Lots of fun ahead for you guys :)

XOrionFE

Quote from: mickc on December 27, 2015, 02:24:29 PM
Awesome Scott!

I guess you are going to start stocking up on Arduinos??

Are the  A/P & F/D mode annunciator modules out of a Level D sim?  They look to have the same markings as the AFDS units I got from a CAE sim.

Lots of fun ahead for you guys :)

Mostly Teensys for interfacing.   I have a ton of them along with breakout boards.   Will likely be using OC Outputs boards and Sioc for Korries.  I have four Outputs cards.   

As for the AFDS units, they came out of a UPS plane.

XOrionFE

Quote from: jackpilot on December 27, 2015, 05:10:25 AM

definitely worth a short hop to Chicago !

Always welcome Jack.  Guessing it will be flying by March or April.   Lot of wiring to get done now.

Scott

archen

Wow!! Love the MIP. Keep posting photos from your project Scott.

Anders

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

English Rebel

Scott
You're crazy man. :)  A Lear 45 is a walk in the park by comparison.
Alan

XOrionFE

Here is a video of the installed yoke, columns, crossover tubes and how I handled pitch tension and centering with bungees...

https://youtu.be/Znh0GGD8C0I

And just for fun installed a stick shaker to try...

https://youtu.be/7waDy5cosgU

Enjoy

Scott

XOrionFE

Test fitting new floor, column covers, TQ and Pedestal...

727737Nut

Looks awesome Scott! Can't wait to come work on it and fly it.

Rob
737 Junkie

sagrada737

Congratulations Scott on your speedy progress on the 737-200 project.   It is amazing what you have accomplished in such a short period of time!  Looks like you will be flying fairly soon.   Keep up the good work!

Best wishes,
Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

jackpilot

Jack

shaneb

Nice build Scott . .  like the stick shakers!   
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

XOrionFE

Progress..

Had electricians out to put in two dedicated 20 amp circuits with key lock switches (to keep safe from my kiddies).  Also had a dedicated ground run installed so I can ensure proper grounding on all electrical equipment.  Will be running many different voltages including 5vdc, 12 vdc, 28v dc, and 110 vac 400hz.  Got to be safe!  Installed a 19" rack to hold power supplies and audio gear.  It will have a breaker panel with real ac breakers of varying capacities.  Again...maximum safety.   Rob coming over this weekend to help me start getting the avionics going.  Hopefully will be up and running by summer.

Best regards,
Scott

jackpilot

Jack

Nat Crea

XOrionFE

On vacation in Florida now (Sanibel Island) for the week.  Before I left I finishe the columns and yoke interfacing and installed my custom j-rails from Mike.  Got the seats reinstalled and started TQ and pedestal placement.  Removed the motors from the Tq since the 732 has no Autothrottle and because they wouldn't fit the way they were into the 2 bay pedestal.   Below are some progress pics.   

Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate