Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
106 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What have you done for your simulator today?

Started by blueskydriver, January 14, 2018, 04:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for continuing to post in this thread! Even though I might not post a reply or comment at times about your progress, I do read every posting.

It means the world too me, so please keep posting, as well as please help Cockpit Builders going strong by taking time to thank Trevor for keeping this website up and running....

Thanks Trevor!

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

ame

n4208t

Ditto.  Thanks Trevor for all the good work.

MistyBlue

Definitely appreciated Trevor!  I'm always available if you need any assistance.

Finished up my landing light gang bar.  Works like a charm and the spring loaded return is perfect.

Continuing work on my roll-away CB panel/rear bulkhead. It's coming along nicely.  And I realized I'll be able to put in the jump seat and still allow room for all my computers/storage.  Excited to see this come together.

By the way, does anyone have any detailed dimensions of the individual 737NG CB panels?  The Cockpit Companion iPad edition has great illustrations for all the breakers and labels and Markus Pilot's reference has jump seat dimensions, but the actual dimensions of the panels I can't find anywhere yet.  Worst case I can eyeball it and get pretty close.

jackpilot

I did those panels years ago. Not OEM dimensions but they all fit perfect in my FDS shell backwall. Some 400+ breakers.
How are you going to do this
Do you have the repro breakers

https://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3995&start=144
second pic on:
https://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3995&start=161

Jack

MistyBlue

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

I don't have repro breakers yet.  I'm thinking I'll 3D print them and then use my Silhoutte paper cutting machine to create and cut the vinyl labels.

Definitely tedious, but no doubt worth the added immersion.

blueskydriver

Hey Tony,

I have the OEM B737 Classic CB Panels and they're not much different than the NG. I could get you measurements this coming weekend. However, if I were you I'd buy the FDS kit ones and call it a day...

Actually, I did buy the FDS ones and only sold them here once I found the real CB panels through a special deal that required a local pickup in Phoenix, AZ. Albeit, I live in Wisconsin, so it was a fun road trip.

I sold them to Fred, and you can see his work here (please goto post #189 in this thread too see his pics).

Quote from: FredK on April 24, 2018, 07:00:26 PMIt was a rainy day here today, so it provided an opportunity for me to finish my CB panels.

I had been thinking about finishing the back walls of my cockpit for some time now.  John's "spring sale" here spurred me on.  I acquired the FDS circuit breaker panel kit that he offered for sale.

There was quite a bit of work involved with building out the kit.  I needed to fabricate Lexan panels (they are not part of the kit), apply the decals, and assemble and mount the CBs.  Much of this work was mindless activity, but sometimes I find that relaxing and very therapeutic.

I had to reorganize the positioning of some of the panels to fit my wall space since I have a larger than standard opening into the cockpit.  So there was some actual thinking with all that.

I am happy with how it all turned out.  It has added a "cozier feel" dimension to my cockpit.

Oh....and many thanks to Jack for his helpful advice on a number of aspects.

Fred K

They turned out super nice!

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

MistyBlue

Thanks John.  If you have a little spare time and can get me some rough measurements that would be fantastic.  It'll at least get me in the ballpark.

Yes, I did consider the FDS panels and trust me, if I had the spare $$ right now I would take the easy way out and buy them.  They are pretty nice.

Fortunately the CB panels aren't a critical piece and I can take my time, so I figure I'll save the money for more usable things like linked yokes and pedals (eventually).

ame

I made a working 3D printed contact breaker. I posted about it here (somewhere). It needs a final iteration of the design, but it's actual size and has a switch inside so it can be used to signal the sim, and a solenoid (and a spring) so it can simulate the breaker, er, breaking.

It can be printed as just a cap, for looks, or just a switch (manually operated), or with the solenoid for automatic operation.

I enjoyed designing it, and I have a better 3D printer now, so I really should review and refine it. And double check that the tiny solenoid is still easily available.

blueskydriver

Awesome Tony,

Okay, I'll get those measurements for you.

If you get a chance will you post the forum link too your 3D printer work on these CB panels; I would love too see your work on it....

John

MistyBlue

Quote from: blueskydriver on August 25, 2021, 02:51:29 PMOkay, I'll get those measurements for you.

If you get a chance will you post the forum link too your 3D printer work on these CB panels; I would love too see your work on it....

Thanks John!  Once I come up with a design I'll update you.  I think someone on Thingiverse made some repro breakers so I might cheat and use his if they are close enough.

Quote from: ame on August 25, 2021, 02:46:20 PMI made a working 3D printed contact breaker. I posted about it here (somewhere).

Sounds interesting.  I'll have to look for your post.  Might be something worth considering.

You did give me an idea about perhaps making the CB panels a swing-open design so I could wire them at some future point.  That is, if Prosim ever supports it.  Don't know if it's even worth the hassle given how rarely they are used, if ever, but that's never stopped us before, lol.

ame

I think it would be a huge and not necessarily worthwhile effort to wire all CBs. However, it might be fun/interesting to wire some key circuits with switches, so that they could affect the sim, especially circuits that people like to turn on and off with the breaker instead of some main switch somewhere. And put solenoids in some to generate fake emergencies (or even simulate a cantankerous airplane).

bernard S

MistyBlue

Quote from: ame on August 25, 2021, 03:12:59 PMI think it would be a huge and not necessarily worthwhile effort to wire all CBs. However, it might be fun/interesting to wire some key circuits with switches, so that they could affect the sim, especially circuits that people like to turn on and off with the breaker instead of some main switch somewhere. And put solenoids in some to generate fake emergencies (or even simulate a cantankerous airplane).

I agree with you on that, and not a bad idea.  Will have to think about how to integrate that :)  Thanks!

FSAddon_boss

Quote from: Bob Reed on January 31, 2018, 08:33:43 PMWhat a difference a day makes....

Awesome.

Me, I've been fiddling with AirManager all afternoon, still cannot get it to work on MSFS2020. But it works fine in X-Plane.

Also found an old 40" tv and connected that instead of my 27" monitor, just to get a feel of things. Looks already much more immersive than just a monitor.

At the same time, my USB hub seems to crap out unexpectedly all the time, so need to source a new one.

My Saitek Multipanel is recognized and working in MSFS2020 (using SPAD.Next), but not in X-Plane.

All in all, I still don't have the two sims running stable, which is a first step in continuing to set up further hardware that eventually should go into a home cockpit.

And all this looked a lot easier 10 years ago, when I was still 'young' :)

Best regards,
Francois
retired

blueskydriver

Quote from: RayS on July 27, 2021, 10:13:01 PMThe Hue system does take a little bit of tweaking to get the lighting just right, but overall I am really excited with the results.

Also, I fired up a Pink Floyd video of Comfortably Numb, and sat in the pit with the 210-degree wraparound screen and minus the actual pit, it felt like actually being there.

Tonight I added 2 side-bar Hue lights and was pleasantly surprised during a night landing to see the side lights flicker a bit as I passed each runway light.

I had planned on selling a home-brew lighting solution in my retirement but the Philips system is just too good, while my system seems inferior now!

Hey Ray, which hue lights do you have and how many of each, as well as please show where and how you mounted/placed them?

John

bernard S

I have been doing more things

sagrada737

Hey Bernard...   I love the smell of rebar and concrete in the morning... ;D

Don't forget that linear drain in front of your large door.  Not that you ever have any massive rain showers in Texas.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

bernard S

yes sir    drainage is actually a huge deal as you know am taking it down to a base point  and going from there

blueskydriver

Ah Drainage, 1000' of pipe later, you'll learn to like it! LOL!

blueskydriver

Okay, for my sim, I purchased the Philips Hue Lights; 4 lights, 1 bulb and 2 led string light kits.

Started playing with setting them up and learned you need a WIFI Router, Windows 10, the PC/Mac Hue Sync software, an iPhone or Android and the Philips Hue app, as well as the Hue Bridge (also called Hub) 2.0.

So far I tried it with the different modes in Hue Sync and currently, I'm using TV mode. With gaming mode there is nothing for flight sims. In TV mode it worked amazingly well with MSFS 2020.

Supposedly, there is a HDMI device that would go in between your PC (or whatever HDMI out) to your TV/Projector and is used as an relay to Bridge of sorts. I might look into that....

In short, the whole thing is a little mind numbing, but doable. Here is my simplistic overview:

1. Your WIFI Router is the main source of communication. Your PC, cell phone and Hue Bridge (HUB) all must be on the same network. The Bridge has DHCP or can be assigned an IP Address. Get them all working together before you procedure.

2. The Light Devices (call them LD's for short) all must be Color Ambience Bulbs, Lights or LED String Lights that communicate with the Bridge and are usable with the PC Hue Sync software (not all bulbs work with it).

3. Get the cell phone App and Bridge setup together, and then get all your LD's connected too it, and make sure they all work correctly.

4. Get Hue Sync software working with the cell phone App, so that it sees your LD's. Setup a room(s) in Hue Sync and assign LD's to the room, along with assigning light locations (height/distance) in conjunction to the TV/Projectors (see instructions for this)

5. Once all is setup, start Hue Sync and minimize it, then start your flight sim program. Then, as a first step, goto a nighttime location and while sitting on the runway, and using a thunderstorm preset with lots of lightning, see if the LD's start following or working in sync with the on screen lightning flashes. If it's working, you're good, but you may wish to tweak the settings further.

Lastly, it's all about where to put the LD's in the cockpit. I'm going to figure that out and make a video about it. However, my full size flight sim is still on Windows 7, so that might be a little hard.

Although, I'm going to see what happens if I have TeamViewer on between the W7 and W10 PC's, and see if Hue Sync will still read things like normal. This is just a way too test the LD's in the actual sim before I switch it over to W10.

John

PS Ray, if you're reading this, please do tell more, as I'm following your lead.... ;D

RayS

Quote from: blueskydriver on September 02, 2021, 06:03:44 AMPS Ray, if you're reading this, please do tell more, as I'm following your lead.... ;D

I'll be posting a video hopefully this weekend of how I did it.

Ironically, I find myself watching Pink Floyd videos in my sim with the lights going full-effect than I do flying.  8)
Ray Sotkiewicz

bernard S

started interlocking floor things

blueskydriver

Working on flight simulator computer tonight and installing W10 Pro on a SSD drive, and will keep W7 w/FSX on separate SSD for a dual boot setup for now.

All I can say is...W10 sucks...sometimes! Drivers, it's always drivers causing issues. Keep getting Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors...uuuggghhhh!

Anyway, downloading new drivers for all the hardware, and once everything is (hopefully) working, I'll tryout MSFS 2020 in the full-size cockpit even though the video will be distorted on the side views.

Also, still need to install P3D v4 and give it a go, but for the folks who are currently running it, are you using it with W10? If yes, are there any issues that stand out and I should look for?

John

FredK

Hi John

Running P3D4.5 with SimA on WIN10 in mulit-channel for some time now.  Absolutely no problems...very stable.  With past Windows versions my experience was that Windows updates would occasionally reek havock requiring a rebuild of the OS. Not so with WIN10 although there is a constant flow of annoying updates that have little value for a flight sim application.

Make sure you have the correct drivers for your MOBO of course, and do not push overclocking beyond the capability of your hardware.

That said....Do I fully trust Windows?  The answer is No!  I have numerous airport and other add-ons (about 140), and multiply that by 4 for my multi-channel visual system. I periodically do a full clean backup of all my computers for protection. The only time I have used that in the last 3 years or so has been for a hard drive failure on one of the computers, not the OS.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate