Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:03:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
507 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 508
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 507
Total: 507

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Symulatory MIP LED's

Started by Benja, September 15, 2010, 02:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benja

Hi all,

I bit the bullet and bought the Symulatory MIP kit and i am now far into the wiring part. I am actually quite impressed for the price and think the finished result will be quite good.

Anyway, when i unpacked the kit, i thought i would test some of the LED's using a 3 volt DC power supply i had to hand. Of course being a complete LED novice, i didn't realise this would blow the red LED's.

So, i bought some replacements from a supplier here in Sweden, but being a LED novice, of course i bought too weak models and they don't match the light output of the LED's i already have. Thankfully i noticed this before wiring up too many of them.

So, this leads to my question. Does anyone know what strength of LED is supplied with the Symulatory kit, as Jakub in Poland is not answering my mails yet?

If not, can anyone suggest a good strength of LED to buy for the annunciators on the MIP?

As always, thanks for all your help guy's.

Regards
Ben
Upsetting my fiancee one purchase at a time

fordgt40

Ben

I do not have a Simulatory MIP, but use two flat top leds per annunciator. Flat top leds give a much wider field of illumination which helps avoid the "bright spot" you get with normal leds. I have used this supplier from China on many occasions

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50x-5mm-Red-Flat-Top-Wide-angle-LED-Free-Resistors-/370212543212?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item5632631aec

David

saabpilot

When testing use max 2V for red/yellow and 3V for green/blue/white.
The light for LED:s are stated in MCD (microcandela) and 4-6000 mcd are "High-Brite" = suitable for MIP and OH.

I have the ones mentioned with "flat tops" on order and can tell you in a week or two how they work.
They should be better as they have very large light spread angles of 90-100 degrees compared with the 30 degrees standard rounded top LED:s like the ones Poldragonet delivers.

I do not know about the MIP, but my Poldragonet OH has only one 5mm hole drilled in the center of the panels where the annunciator fits so probably better off with a large "spread angle".
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

ian@737ng.co.uk

ben.....
sent you an email with more details on led's and their sources
rgds .... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

Benja

Ian,

Got the mail. Thanks for the input.

I have decided to go with the rounded LED's for now, as i have wired up about 85% of the LED's for the MIP already with what i received in the kit. It's just 7 of them i need to redo when the LED's i have just ordered arrive (thanks to Bjorn's advice on the MCD rating).

I will definitely look at re-wiring with the flat head LED's in the future based on Bjorn's results when he does the overhead panel.

Regards
Ben
Upsetting my fiancee one purchase at a time

fordgt40

Ben

I can reassure you that the flat top leds are much better when used in annunciators. The problem with narrow angle round leds is that you can easily get a high intensity spot at the centre of the annunciator with the remainder being poorly lit. This is particularly a problem when the annunciator text is quite wide, though I suppose it depends on your expectations

David

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate