Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:48:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
498 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 505
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 498
Total: 498

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Gear ratios?

Started by matta757, October 18, 2010, 03:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hey guys,

Ok, I understand some physics, but I just need a little nudge in the right direction on this one ;)

When selecting gear ratios for my motorized throttles, is there any type of advantage to having a larger gear on the throttle lever and a smaller gear on the motor? For instance, right now I am looking at a 3-1 ratio (approx.) with 35 teeth on the throttle gear and 11 teeth on the motor, simply because I have 10 rpm motors and that's the math that works out for getting the proper speed.

However, I can get motors with less RPM's (all the way down to 1 rpm) and looking at gears, I can save some money by using a smaller ratio, say 2-1 or even 1-1 because the gears are cheaper. But is using a ratio like 1-1 something that I shouldn't do? Again, I go back to my original question, is there an advantage to a larger ratio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Boeing Skunk Works

If you use a larger gear on the motor with less RPM, the motor will have to produce more torque for the same amount of travel.

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Aerosim Solutions

Mike is right, if you have a larger gear on your motor more torque will be required. It would be best to have a motor with higher RPM and a small gear on it driving a large gear on the bottom of the throttle lever. Matt I can make gears for your TQ levers any size and any ratio you require rather than trying to find a pair of gears that might do the job. I will be starting my own motorized B737TQ soon and will be following this path using geared DC motors. I can supply your gear sets for AUD$15.00 (per lever). The larger gears will only have to be partial gears probably, if you can draw what you need I can make it no problem, gears are easy!

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate