Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
578 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 585
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 578
Total: 578

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Repairing Simkits USB boards

Started by philb737, March 10, 2011, 09:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philb737

Hi guys, I'm looking for someone locally preferably in the US to repair two Simkits USB boards! The cost of shipping and Dollars to Euro exchange rate makes the boards unaffordable to be send back to the manufacture for repairs. One board has a broken USB port the 2nd one stopped working after a power supply surge. :'(  :-[ :-[
Cheers
Phil
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

iwik

Hi Phil,
Im a bit to far away from you to help, but wht a bout taking the one with the Brocken usb socket to your local electronic repair shop. They should be able to replace it. The other may be more of a problem, dont know what boards they are but looked at Simkits site and saw an analogue and digital input boards. Both of these have Microcontrollers and if this is gone then
Simkits are less likely to supply a chip if this faulty.
If it is the boards i describe, they could be replaced with Leo Bodnars boards, they do 32 digital inputs and 6 analogue. Just a thought.
Les

philb737

Hi Les,
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, when the USB port came loose it peeled back 3 soldiering track points on the PCB. Both of the cards were used as a servo controller!They control servo driven gauges like the flap gauge. The one with power surge problem is a TRC programmable Multi Controller( http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=343) and the one with a broken USB port is a USB Gauge Controller (http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=823) :'(
Cheers
Phil

iwik

Phil,
The pcb with the torn tracks should be repairable. Have u tried taking it into a electronic
repair shop?. Looking at the I/o board, might be a right off. Main chip is a special so simkits
would be the only source if its gone. What actually happened to cause the power surge?.
Les

philb737

Les,
In regard to the broken USB port I've contacted simkits support and we're working on a solution :). The power surge was caused due to a loose 28v bare wire touching the 5v section of the PCB :huh: one in a million chance ??? :o!I couldn't replicate the scenario if my life depended on it! :o
Cheers
Phil   

iwik

Phil,
Good to see you are making progress with Simkits. Hope it all works out for you.
I feel for u. Had a case many years ago when a 230v ac lead fell onto the 5v line.
Blew the A--- out of everything.
Les

Efe

Unfortunately we had that happen with one of our adapters as we were putting it back into the MIP stand. Apparently the 12V cable came undone and touched the GND and 5V connections. Once we plugged in the adapter, well that was pretty much the end of those cards.  :huh:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate