Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 02:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
360 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Quick question for multiple projector guys

Started by 727737Nut, March 12, 2011, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

727737Nut

How much power draw does your set-up have? I have a dedicated 20A circuit for my sim but i'm a little worried about not being enough.
737 Junkie

XOrionFE

I am currently running all off 1 20A circuit.

3 projectors
7 LCD monitors (2 of which are cdus)
2 atx power supplies
3 computers each with 800-1000 watt power supplies
1 set of stereo desktop speakers
1 surround speaker system with subwoofer

So far no problems tripping anything though I think I am probably about maxed out on this circuit.  Doesnt matter for me as I have two more 20 Amp circuits fed into that same area as it used to be part of my shop but the single 20amp seems to be ok for now.    Just dont plug any high amp things into like vacuum cleaners or space heaters or I am sure it will trip.

Scott

blueskydriver

Rob,

Do you remember this?

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php/20386-120-240-Volt-Power-and-Cockpit-Safety!!!?highlight=12+circuits

Scott, IMO you should use those other circuits. Just because your not tripping doesnt mean your safe. You could be heating up a cord somewhere and wouldnt know it, and then it melts, catches fire and at that point it trips, but a fire is now started.

Surely, you might say if it did you would see it or smell it, but how many times have you left the room while the sim is all fired up (no pun), even for 5 mins (maybe like to the bathroom)? Imagine coming back to your sim in a blaze...

The point is, even though you have 20Amps, no one should use more than 85% of that for safety reasons. If anyone wants answers from the USA Electrical Codes Book, just ask because we have one.
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Garys

I think its better to share the load across two circuits. Ive had two 20amp circuits installed for the sim.

XOrionFE

I think the bottom line is that if you really want to be sure of what is going on then you do the math on all of your intended devices and see what the total load possible is.   Remember also that LCD monitors are very very low power consumption as compared to the older CRT monitors.   It is important to do the math and I have on my equipment.

In my case I also have some added safety in place because all of my basement circuits are on GFIs as well.   Of course these can really trip easily if they dont like something so can make for a bad flight if they trip in the middle of a flight.  So far I have not had a problem though.

Also, I almost never leave my sim unattended for more than 5 minutes as there is way too much powered up and a lot of things to burn anyway so not a good idea to leave things along in any case.   2 fire extinguishers are also close at hand.

BTW - you can also just have an electrician come out and do a load measurement at your panel.    Mine is pulling about 14-16 amps right now on average which is why I am using 20 amp breakers.  My wiring is also 12 guage which is required for the higher current and the distance my outlets are from the panels.  Then again, my electrical was originally designed for running a wood shop with a lot of floor power tools that draw even higher amps so it is now a benefit for my sim.    DO NOT put a 20 amp breaker in place of a 15amp in your panel and think you are good because the wiring may not and probably will not be up to the task.

Again, best thing to do is do what I did and use an electrician to run everything and calculate your loads.   I have the extra circuits (and probably should use them as pointed out just for added margin).   You dont want to short change yourself on power.

Scott

XOrionFE

A little update....

Since some of you decided to try and scare the living crap out of me this morning with doom and gloom and pictures of a burning 737 sim running through my mind  :o....

I took a look at my wiring this morning and discovered that I have my 3 projectors, 1 atx power supply (which is unused but earmarked for overhead), 1 USB hub, and my sound system, all running off a seperate circuit and I didnt even remember doing that.......

Anyway....good thread....

727737Nut

I'm going to by one of those watt meters that plug in-line and measures amps, watts and electricity usage.  Got to make sure the wife doesn't see it! :huh:
737 Junkie

XOrionFE

Let us know what it says when you do it.  Should be interesting.

Garys

Yes absolutely. Will be interesting to see. A little info about your setup would be great as well.

firstinflight

Very interesting thread. Most of us get so carried away with LCDs, MCPs, CDUs, software glitches etc that its hard to keep this important fact top of mind.

I run mine of 3 different circuilts - 3 seperate circuit breakers. I have to say that i did this because at one point i had 8 PCs running my sim with 10 monitors. So i definitely wanted to distribute the load. I have since then reduced the number of PCs with every passing year but i have maintained the load distribution.

Regards,
CPJ
www.simulationresearch.net
FSX, Jetstream 737, Prosim737, Engravity CDUs, CPFlight, Active Sky 2012, Ground Environment, AI Traffic, UT Europe, PilotEdge, NThusim, Aerosoft Airports, Dreamteam airports

727737Nut

Right now my set-up is pretty light, 3 Pc's, (one higher end  pc and 2 medium pc's)  Two 5vdc pwr supplies, One pc pwr supply for 12V, 28V pwr supply,  3 monitor's , a few usb hub's and one projector for now.  I will let you all know. I will add another PC and monitor as well shortly. 

Rob
737 Junkie

ChrisKLAS

3 projectors, 8 PCs, 6 LCDs, 8 ATX power supplies, and whole host of other items (from model railroad power packs to network hubs to FMCs to 120v lighting to Nascar brake fans "powering" the recirc fans).

I have mine load balanced out over three 20 amp breakers, just to be safe, since I honestly couldn't even begin to figure out what I'm actually drawing running all of this stuff.

ivar hestnes

My simulator draw 8.5 amperes at 220 volts with everything running at max load.

3 projectors, 6 computers, IBL, two amplifiers, lcd screens ++++

The computers will have the current peak on startup I believe. So, I always wait a few seconds between each computer/device I turn on.

jskibo

You got me thinking now. 

But since I plan on setting up shop in the third bay of the garage, and the panel is on the outer wall, I think I will just run 2 more 20amp lines and split the load.  Won't cost me more than the 2 breakers plus some 12 guage.

Plan on running a whole house surge at the box, plus surges on the equipment as well.  Then running like hell to shut down during thunderstorms :)
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Sean

I keep forgetting its 110v in the US, so your current draw is roughly twice what mine will be in the UK at 240v.

Our standard power circuits are 32A 'ring' circuits, ie. the cable comes back to the distribution board after the last outlet and is doubled up at the circuit breaker. This enables smaller cable than can carry 32A to be used, as the circuit effectively becomes two 16A circuits (if the load is balanced).

727737Nut

A quick update, My sim is drawing 8amps running 4 pc's, 1 projector, 2 usb hubs, 3 power supply's, and a couple of sound systems.  So my 20A circuit has plenty of headroom left.
Rob
737 Junkie

XOrionFE

jskibo

SO I'm guessing I will be fine with a dedicated 20amp circuit in that bay of my garage?
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Garys

Its a clean slate. Why not make it two, future proof yourself and never again have to second guess your power consumption.

Maurice

I finally measured everything in miy setup and I am drawing no more than 17 amps as 115V. That includes 3 projectors, 6 computers (one with a 1200 W power supply and one with 700W), backlit MIP with LCD screens. I do not yet have an overhead or a center console, and that should add about 2 Amps.

I am running 2 dedicated 15 Amp breakers & that should be more than enough.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate