Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 05:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
581 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 581
Total: 581

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

When and Where (online), do you fly your sim?

Started by blueskydriver, April 12, 2011, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

As of the past two months, it has been nothing but Simulator obessesion here. Incredible how much a person can beat a dead horse...meaning-sim building can be like beating a dead horse because things just don't happen until you beat it back alive!

Anyway, if you're not beating your horse (dead or alive), when do you fly-it and where?

When=what time of day, UTC.

Where=Are you flying on VatSim, IVAO, Gamespy, FSHost or not online at all?

The reason is for two parts:

1. If you're flying online already, it'd be nice for more of us here at CB to fly together in one of the online sites.

2. If you're not online (or very little or at all), did you know that there is a CB Hosted Site to fly in? Would you like to fly on that sometime?

If you like to try one or both of these, post your response here.

For Bob, you know what is meant by that first sentence, so we're going to hook up TS3 in the sim to get with you...been living in it...seriously.

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jskibo

Quote from: blueskydriver on April 12, 2011, 01:34:40 PM
Anyway, if you're not beating your horse (dead or alive), when do you fly-it and where?

ahhh, beating a horse.

You know what the difference between meat and fish is right?..........

......if you beat your fish they die :)

Usually fly KORD to somewhere or KDFW to somewhere mostly on Vatsim and mostly with American Virtual.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

matta757

I fly Delta 757's usually. Sometimes I do American 757's. So I frequent airports like KATL, KDFW and KORD (also because those airports have great scenery). I also fly out of KMSP, my hometown airport, a lot just because I like it. But I visit a great variety of airports, both in the USA and in Europe since DAL and AAL both use 757's on transatlantic service.

I don't do online, simply because I have never been able to figure it out. I also am not keen on not having realistic AI traffic, which I am under the impression that when you use an online system, your AI traffic does not show up. I would love if someone would clear up any misstatements I have made and tell me just how easy the online thing is?

Matt

blueskydriver

Matt,

You basically do the same as us. We use KMSP or KORD a lot. To your questions; we were using Gamespy and in a session at KATL, and for the first time (which we didn't know this) the KCVG add-on we have showed the AI Aircraft at the airport while in multiplayer.

The odd thing is usually when in Gamespy, no other aircraft will show except the other Gamespy members. Unless, these were parked aircraft within the scenery...don't know. The KCVG add-on is by imaginesim at www.imaginesim.com

We have add-ons for KORD (FSDreamTeam) and KMSP (blueprint). Funny thing is, never flew in Gamespy with KORD or KMSP yet because we just got these a while back. Still, seeing KCVG as it was tonight, means that either the other two add-ons will do the same or imaginesim is doing something that no one knows about...yet.

Anyway, connecting to Gamespy is straight forward, you have to make an account and then join a session by using the multiplayer (under Free Flight in FSX). Of course, Gamespy is not for the faint of heart. It has lousy connections and amateurs everywhere (a lot of kids as well). So, why use Gamespy; well, there are some serious users on it at times, and you don't have to worry about ATC standards like the big three online sites: VatSim, IVAO or FSHost.

Don't take that wrong anyone, we love and use them, but for working on the sim and fixing things (for use with multiplayer), Gamespy is great. Once the work is done, we go back to one of the big three. Gamespy does have a few really good ones; bostonvirtualatc, hipphappy Germany, It's tougher in alsaka, and FSopen.co.uk. If you see "Pro ATC blah, blah, blah (insert name) session" doesn't mean anyone of them is/are Pro ATC, just means someone is trying to get more people to join it. Mainly, it's a guessing game to find a good session.

It is easy to do online once you get past the learning curve of making the connections properly; that includes the big three. In any case, you either connect directly using the IP address of the host (site) or like Gamespy, by session name. Try connecting to Gamespy the next time you're on...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Hmmm!!! Flying??? Is this what this hobby is all about??? Can't quite remember the last time I did any serious flying...I think it was back with SubLogic 'simulator'. All you had to do is power it up & fly. Now it's power it up, find something is not right...curse..try again...curse...Google for an answer...slight elation when you find an answer...try it...not working...curse again...get it working somehow...sigh of relief...try a flight...FSX shuts down...curse...start again...blue screen of death...curse...back to power it up and the cycle starts again ::)

To sum it up...flying my simulator is only an elusive dream for me & I blame that in great part on being unable to manage my ever increasing expectations. Nothing is ever good enough and I can't seem to get over that hurdle.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

Good post guys.
I for one I  fly a lot (hey Mau) but never did it online.
1) is it necessary to have High speed Internet? (not available in my neck of the woods)
2) How about Security?
2) Could someone using one of "the big  three" post a "Fly online for Dummies" ?
----------------------------

I fly mostly Europe. Large airports within 1 to 2 hours radius with a good mix of mountains and Ocean/sea crossing. Only problem ATC unrealistic accent! lol
I did one eastward world  circumnavigation...real time , no acceleration. Longest leg being the Atlantic. ( Gander- Azores)) Try that, download Approach plates as you go and use FS flightplanner for legs VOR to VOR ...and tons of NDBs, Get good at Fuel and range planning. Avoid long boring Pacific crossing by going Japan, eastern Russia and Aleutian Islands , back to Alaska. Big thrill when you land back home.

Jack

astron

Hey Guys, i fly pretty much every night after i get out of the shop,usually around my area from kpdx to kgeg spokane, seattle area, sometimes some flights from california oregon areas that may be within an hour or so from home base, need to venture out to other places though.  and as far as online flying with fsx not much,have flown on game spy,a good place to learn what online flying will be like but mainly alot of kids just zig zagging airplanes all around the sky, i have a vatsim membership but have not attempted it yet it seems a bit daunting still they are pretty serious over there, i think its more a mental fright then realistic,we will get on there someday and give it a go. but i did use to be heavy into online flying with combat sims,places like aces high and other sites and its a blast, and to answer your question jack, yes you really need to have a good high speed internet, to make it work, otherwise there is all sorts of latency problems.

take care,Tom

ian@737ng.co.uk

well i'm a die hard.....   i just can't fire my sim up to fly alone if there is no ATC available.
the interaction is the bit that does it for me.   following the instructions and being vectored or sent 'direct to'or being descended and set up for an approach.     really worth looking at, it adds another dimension believe me.
i've used Vatsim for more years than i care to remember really ;D
usually i'm all over europe doing short/medium routes.
and for Jack.....   i'm sort of 'out in the sticks as well', our broadband only manages 512k, but i have no issues at all with the connections or voice comms.
have a great day chaps

ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

dharrison

I use Vatsim as well, It's not as well attended as it used to be from an ATC perspective. seems I remember I used to be able to fly transcon on any night of the week and have pretty much full ATC at least at the center level. Now it is usually LA Center, maybe Oakland and some east coast. Sometimes Chicago. Vatsim really shines during events like Across the Pond and ORD Real Ops. Thats where the fun begins.

Jack,

As far as speed, I remember using vatsim with my 56k dial up connection back in college from my dorm room. It doesn't take much.

Don

blueskydriver

Anyone want to join in on Gamespy today (Wednesday April 13, 2011) starting now, UTC 6:15, CST 1:15PM? If so, go to Gamespy Session Name "KATL-Hartsfield-Jackson, Atlanta"

We're using the PMDG737-700 port from FS9 (you might see as that) and starting at gate A30. The flight will be from KATL-KCVG. Our sim is being used for this flight.

If you just have desktop flying, you should join in as well, at least it will get some of us CB members together for flying.

Just use Gamespy Audio for now and not Team Speak.

See you there...

BSD

Maurice

Quote from: ian@737ng.co.uk on April 13, 2011, 06:14:38 AM
well i'm a die hard.....   i just can't fire my sim up to fly alone if there is no ATC available.
the interaction is the bit that does it for me.   following the instructions and being vectored or sent 'direct to'or being descended and set up for an approach.     really worth looking at, it adds another dimension believe me.
i've used Vatsim for more years than i care to remember really ;D
usually i'm all over europe doing short/medium routes.
and for Jack.....   i'm sort of 'out in the sticks as well', our broadband only manages 512k, but i have no issues at all with the connections or voice comms.
have a great day chaps

ian

Sounds very much like the 'real' way to fly but how is it for newbies (like me) who don't know all the intricacies of IFR  procedures and who may not understand what the controllers are asking or who may not be abler to comply?

What are their expectations in that regard? I know you can always hang up & keep flying alone if too confused but are they going to ban you if you keep doing that? Is there any good place for beginners?

Thanks,
Maurice

jackpilot

Mau,

What about going for a "crash" IFR ground school course.
I went a few years ago  (actually many many years !!!  ??? ) near Pearson to get my IFR ticket.
It is FUN , lasts 2 days , and you do not even need to go for the Transport Canada exam!!
And you will be on Top of these Vatsim guys!

OK.. you do it I do it with you, as a refresher!
What about that?
Jack

Jack

phil744

Just observe, park up at a gate, and listen, send a pm to the controller let he or she know your just observing, that's what i did for ages, then went and cocked up the first time i actually tried.

First flight i just sent a PM to the controller asking if it was okay just to do a simple circuit of the airfield (heathrow in a 747 lol) they said sure, first time you complete it its a buzz.

Going back to observing if you get something like vatspy, choose a flight that is not going to far, 1 hour max, anywhere in the world it don't matter so long as the departure and arrival airports are both active, then position yourself on a quiet airfield somewhere in the middle of the two, 2 reasons, 1, u wont get bothered by a tin pusher, 2 squarkbox will display all the radio frequency's for both dep and arrival airport, then the flight you picked just follow there entire route over the radio, you get to the point where you do understand everything, then give it a try.

***word of warning***

And this comes from my own meandering experience.

Double check and triple check whatever airport you start up at that you have the latest and greatest software add on and patches installed, my first outing with vatsim I loaded up at gate 212 terminal 2 EGCC Manchester UK with default FS scenery, my home airport, problem is the default EGCC in terms of lat and long is over half a mile out compared with the real airport, positioning me basically skewed across the active runway to the controllers and all the other pilots, you have the ATC screaming your call sign out saying such quality quotes like "speedbird 79C get of the F***ing runway you **** retarded ****!", but at this point you have already forgot your call sign as you are more concerned and somewhat mesmerized with how an A340-500 by magic passed through the terminal building in front of you at a blistering rate of knot's apparently unscathed straight into you! by the time i realized what was going on i ripped the modems lead clean out of the wall socket in shear panic

But yeah go for it, it adds more realism than you would ever expect
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on April 13, 2011, 03:16:32 PM
Mau,

What about going for a "crash" IFR ground school course.
I went a few years ago  (actually many many years !!!  ??? ) near Pearson to get my IFR ticket.
It is FUN , lasts 2 days , and you do not even need to go for the Transport Canada exam!!
And you will be on Top of these Vatsim guys!

OK.. you do it I do it with you, as a refresher!
What about that?
Jack

Sounds very intriguing although I'm not sure my aging brain cells would be able to retain anything after a crash course  :). Let me think about that one. What I was really more concerned with is knowing how to translate instructions into my CDU/ND so that I can track a radial or go to an intersection or whatever else they ask for.

Anyway, certainly food for thought and I did think about doing that a couple of years ago actually when I was still flying before I dismantled my sim prior to the move to a new house. Can you find out some info about courses & let me know? Could be done in Buttonville airport as well I think as long as they are still open.

Thanks,

Maurice

jackpilot

Will dig the info.
Forget the CDU
Easier to comply with your Brains , two hands and an STAR approach plate.!
JP

Maybe Pete himself could join the party!
:D

Jack

jackpilot

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: phil744 on April 13, 2011, 03:29:19 PM
you have the ATC screaming your call sign out saying such quality quotes like "speedbird 79C get of the F***ing runway you **** retarded ****!",

But yeah go for it, it adds more realism than you would ever expect

I'm 66 so some overzealous controller yelling at me would not rattle my brittle bones  :). However, the temptation would be very strong & practlcally irresistible to answer in kind, which would likely get me kicked out of Vatsim I would think.

But thanks for the tips. I would like to choose a friendly country though to experiment so maybe Aussies would be kind to a friendly Canadian  :)

Maurice

jackpilot

Even the real JFK or LGA approach controllers I dealt with, who are top notch pros,  always remained courteous and helpful, ...as long as you do not interfere with rush hour traffic with your Cessna 150
So the "sim" guys at Vatsim have no real need to bully you....THIS IS A FUN HOBBY !
And I do not think they will as long as, like Phil said and as in real flying, you just stay honest about your intentions and capacities, not trying to play super hero and impress each other.

About 30 years ago, on my first solo to Ottawa "International" I just said to that 200Knots speaking controller (and gusting) ..." Sir I am on my first Solo and not familiar with the Airport"
Well that Guy took my "under his wing" and vectored me Super gently to the threshold....

Vatsim Guys should be of the same breed if they want to do their job as  pros!

Jack

phil744

another thing that really helped me along is to basically fly with someone you know, remember you have private chat also as ATC chat, if the ATC gives u an instruction you dint understand all you got to say to ATC is your call sign followed by "standby" private voice your flying bud and ask "can u translate that for me" and seek advice that way, then reply to the ATC.

Personally im okay with flying, only 2 things i struggle with is when the ATC gives you the arrival (STAR) info, usually its a word that dont exist in the english language and you have to compair it to a list of about 20 or so options in the FMC and when you land at a large airport your not to familiar with and the ATC gives you the taxi routes and gate number, so i always ask for that on text so i can read it at my own pace.

Sometimes you get a controller who thinks he is gods gift to ATC, usually tell, squeaky voice and speaks at supersonic speeds ( i could give you there names here), give you instructions like "speedbird 79C continue taxi bravo 4, left onto alpha7, link alfa mike charlie whiskey, cross 27L via charlie, hold on echo for crossing company 777, continue via mike echo stand 191" in about the same time as an amoebas fart, i usually reply in a typical slow English accent "roger taxi past McDonald's, left at the traffic lights continue to past wallmart pick little john up from school take him swimming home in time for whiskey speedbird 79C"

You can actually hear the other pilots laugh, brilliant fun :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

jackpilot

Guys giving that kind of taxi are Stressed out pathetic Monkeys
Good 4 U Phil!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Jack

blueskydriver

Well...Phil, that last bit just got the LOL going real good!

After reading some of these replies, it got the brain cells firing. First, after doing this for a good many years now, and learning to do ATC while going along, it would be easier to help out with the situations you speak of.

Second, the biggest program that you should get right now is AivlaSoft's EFB...yes, another program, but and the big BUT, it will solve all the STARS, SIDS, APPROACH, ARRIVALS problems for you. You use this to put in the DEP and DEST Airports, and then the EFB will do the rest as in finding the VOR points and etc. Next, you'll use the EFB to actually export to the CDU directly-means no typing in directly to CDU-you would just verify the transfer. It all happens with one button in the EFB...called= ACTIVATE.

Although, you would want use NAVIGRAPH service to have updated NAV data, why? Well, when airports get updated and the info you need will be changed for you. Still, if an ATC session by one of the big three is using modified scenery, you should be to download and update in your FS9 or FSX. Not hard at all; usually, you get an installer.exe to handle it for you.

Third, as for the feeling of those "High & Mighty" ATC guys, they started out as beginners at one time or another, so just ignore them. And, as mentioned that is where Gamespy comes in, less pressure for getting things right. Most times the ATC controllers there just want to vector you around in the pattern. So, it is easy in that regard...

Finally, if you really want to get the CB /Session ATC site going, it can be done through Gamespy and FSHost. Bob spoke of this to us in the past, so all of the CB guys could get together and fly...

BSD

ian@737ng.co.uk

i know it can be intimidating hooking up to Vatsim for the first couple of times.   you are nervous, afraid you'll get tongue tied and are frightened to death you are going to **** up so everybody on the frequency can hear.       so, i totally agree with Phil on two counts.....
first, tell the controller you are inexperienced.   my experience is that most ATC controllers will help you out..... it's a fun thing and they want traffic as much as we want to fly  ;D
secondly, he's also right about flying with an experienced pilot.     i've spent many a saturday afternoon making a flight somewhere to 'assist' a new online pilot.     it gives them more confidence and helps them gain experience. 
try an online flight from a small airport where there is only say Ground or Tower, once off the ground, you can relax.
go on, take the plunge, the effort is really worthwhile and the interaction is a real buzz...... 
have a great day captains........

ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

NAX228

Beating heart and sweaty palms expected when hooking up to VATSIM the first time.
Kinda like falling in love for the first time... all over again.
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

jackpilot

I heard Vatsim traffic before and I must say that it sounds real close to real ATC, Even the chatter is better than any canned ATC...hence the good feeling and excitement!

So if I wish to hook up to Vatsim, what do I need as Soft and Hardware and what do I do?
Is Squawkbox still the best? Is PM Wazzup useful? Are there alternatives...?

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: NAX228 on April 14, 2011, 01:38:12 AM
Beating heart and sweaty palms expected when hooking up to VATSIM the first time.
Kinda like falling in love for the first time... all over again.

OK you talked me out of it. 'Like falling in love for the first time'?? You forgot to mention the heartbreak that follows after she dumps you. Thanks but I don't want to go though this misery again  :)

Maurice

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate