Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 09:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
353 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 398
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 353
Total: 353

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

The ground is moving in FSX

Started by Maurice, April 14, 2011, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

No, it's not an earthquake. I just finished installing FSGenesis Terrain mesh for the whole world (or whatever is available) and I also installed Ground Environment X North America and the one for Europe as well. So I did a short flight over Toronto to see if I could see any difference and there was indeed. Unfortunately, that was not a good difference.

Now I can see the ground jump up & down as I get closer to the ground. It's not enough that the autogen pops up, it now also pops up at the wrong altitude apparently. Trying to land when the ground is moving is 'interesting' to say the least.

So, back to un-installing everything including maybe FSX as well unless someone has any idea about what I could have done wrong. Maybe there is a certain sequence that I need to follow but I'm pretty sure that the terrain mesh should be first (which is what I did).

Thanks,

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Trevor Hale

Hey Mau,

I am sure you did it, but my suggestion would be install each scenery and close and reopen MSFS.  I bet it is one of them causing the issues, most likley not all.  I would do each install and a a flight over the city will allow you to find out where the screw up is.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Maurice

Quote from: Trevor Hale on April 15, 2011, 02:41:59 AM
Hey Mau,

I am sure you did it, but my suggestion would be install each scenery and close and reopen MSFS.  I bet it is one of them causing the issues, most likley not all.  I would do each install and a a flight over the city will allow you to find out where the screw up is.

Trev

I usually do that but not this time  :(. I installed everything at once. Big mistake apparently. Hopefully they will all uninstall cleanly as I also did not let Ground environment back up the FSX textures thinking I would never go back to them.
Live & learn I guess  ::) Not backing up the FSX textures is not a problem as long as I can re-install GEX if GEX was not causing my original problem.

Thanks,
Maurice

andarlite

Maurice

At one point I also had GEX and FSGenesis installed, but I ended up un-installing FSGenesis. When I got close to the ground I could see it jumping up (to it's proper elevation I would presume) in slow motion as I moved along. Not sure if it's because my computer was too slow .... it's only an i7 920 clocked to 4Ghz.

I also didn't like seeing airports on plateaus either (not sure if Justine ever got a fixed for that).

If I were you, I would start by un-installing FSGenesis first. I find it hard to believe that GEX would cause your problem since it just replacement textures.  Also make sure you de-frag your hard drive. Very important with GEX. If all looks well, then you can try installing FSGenesis again.

Regards,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

jskibo

I have been having an issue with FSGenesis and KSEA.  My runway is full of hills there that makes it impossible to land.  Going to have to unistall it for that region or just avoid Seattle all together.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Maurice

Quote from: andarlite on April 15, 2011, 05:00:33 AM
Maurice

At one point I also had GEX and FSGenesis installed, but I ended up un-installing FSGenesis. When I got close to the ground I could see it jumping up (to it's proper elevation I would presume) in slow motion as I moved along. Not sure if it's because my computer was too slow .... it's only an i7 920 clocked to 4Ghz.

I also didn't like seeing airports on plateaus either (not sure if Justine ever got a fixed for that).

Regards,
Henry

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm seeing as well and I have a very fact PC. So I will uninstall that first & see. I'm pretty sure Justin has fixed the airports plateaus but city plateaus are taking their place it seems  :).
Anyway, thanks for confirming I'm not the only one with this problem.

Maurice

Maurice

Quote from: jskibo on April 15, 2011, 07:04:07 AM
I have been having an issue with FSGenesis and KSEA.  My runway is full of hills there that makes it impossible to land.  Going to have to unistall it for that region or just avoid Seattle all together.

It seems that this would be a problem for any ground mesh that replaces FSX mesh so I guess I may only keep the mountainous regions since I'm not likely to be close to the ground near a mountain unless I'm crashing  :). I'll have to try LOWI and see how things look near that airport.

Maurice

blueskydriver

Just curious here, but did you go into the scenery libraries to make sure the FSGenesis and/or other scenery is higher on the priority list?

Check it by going to:

FSX>Settings>Scenery Library

Now, select the scenery add-on by highlighting the name of it with one click of the mouse button, and then move the priorty up or down by using the buttons on the right side of the opened window.

The thing to think about is this. If the add-on you install is like an entire country, but you have several cities or regions of that country as add-ons as well, and the country gets installed as a higher priority of the cities or regions, the country add-on is what gets shown, but the cities or regions scenery could be causing conflicts by being under the larger area. Thus, the smaller areas go on top or higher in priority in the list than the larger areas. Plus, always make sure the FSX default is at the very bottom of the list.

If you press Help in the open window, it gives a good detail explaination of this concept and how it can affect the scenery loading/displaying...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on April 15, 2011, 05:54:21 PM
Just curious here, but did you go into the scenery libraries to make sure the FSGenesis and/or other scenery is higher on the priority list?

BSD

Actually I did but I don't see anything with a Genesis name so I don't know what to do. I have confirmed though that FSGenesis was causing my problems with the moving ground in Toronto. The funny thing though is that other areas in the US did not have that problem and LOWI scenery was OK as well in that regard.

So I have uninstalled the Canadian Mesh and I will re-install and see if I can see what changed in the Scenery Library.

Thanks,
Maurice

Maurice

I re-installed the FSGenesis Canadian Mesh and same problem with moving ground. As you can see in the picture, it does create 'interesting' effects with floating houses  :)

Maurice

jackpilot

Hey Mau

Told you.... Ontario wines are not good for what you 've got  !!!!

:laugh:

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on April 16, 2011, 09:01:58 AM
Hey Mau

Told you.... Ontario wines are not good for what you 've got  !!!!

:laugh:

Well I only drink Diet Coke so maybe switching to wine will make me not care about seeing floating houses  ;D

Mau

Maurice

Well the problem is not only in Canada. Here are a couple more pics in Seattle. So unless Justin at FSG can tell me how to fix this, the whole mesh will be uninstalled.
I just don't like seeing floating houses & planes with wheels buried in the ground. Somehow, this destroys realism just a tad   :)

Maurice

FSPS

Hi,

It seems you that have applied the removesmallobjects tweak at your fsx.cfg file at a very high level.  If yes, then reduce the value to 4 or 2
Flight Simulator Platform Solutions
http://fsps.737ng.gr

Maurice

Quote from: FSPS on April 16, 2011, 10:41:20 AM
Hi,

It seems you that have applied the removesmallobjects tweak at your fsx.cfg file at a very high level.  If yes, then reduce the value to 4 or 2

No, I don't even have that particular tweak in my fsx.cfg file. I suspect that the problem is caused by the add-on scenery which I added after FSGenesis. I have contacted Justin in his forum and waiting for his answer.

Thanks,
Maurice

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate